Cold and Hot Seafood Buffet

I Love NC

I asked this a couple weeks ago....got no replies!!!

to anyone recently off Caribbean, Crown, or Ruby Princess Ships, etc. or still aboard:

Do they still serve the seafood buffets? Last year we had the cold seafood buffet the first night onboard and the hot seafood buffet on the second formal night!

Thank you in advance.....we are so excited....just booked the Ruby for 11/14/2010!!

PS: Other food was served along with the the seafood!!

We were on the Crown in June, and they did have a seafood buffet on the first night, and I know they had seafood at the buffet other times - the most memorable of which was the evening my hubby and I watched the movie under the stars, and when it was over, browsed through the buffet at 10:30 p.m. to find a massive platter of lobster claws available for the taking....and eating. I chose a dessert to finish off my day, but the DH had a plateful of the claws, as I noticed many others were doing. We always ate in the dining room for suppers, so I can't really tell you more than that.

Thank you for the information from your June cruise! We'll be on the Ruby in Nov. and my daugher will be on the Ruby in Oct......her husband will enjoy that seafood!

I hated to tell them about it w/o checking if it was still available!

Thank you for the information from your June cruise! We'll be on the Ruby in Nov. and my daugher will be on the Ruby in Oct......her husband will enjoy that seafood!

I hated to tell them about it w/o checking if it was still available!

If I were you, I would not tell them it will definitely be offered. The seafood buffets seem to be disappearing very quickly lately from many ships, and there is no guarantee that they will find it there come this fall. Good luck though!

Sailed on the Ruby for Christmas 09 and again earlier this month. In December, there was a small seafood buffet (shrimp, crab claws, smoked fish) on the first night, and this past month, nothing.

I've read that the seafood buffet was introduced to reduce the number of passengers visiting the MDR on the first night, which makes perfect sense IMHO. We had an overnight in Venice at the start of our cruise, which accomplished that easily, hence, no seafood buffet.

I'm inclined to think the seafood buffet is dependent on where the ship is sailing, and the European cruises don't have it. The Caribbean cruises do, but it's more limited than it used to be. Hopefully it will re-appear on the Caribbean sailings, but I wouldn't build it up too much in order to avoid disappointment. Hope that helps.

I read the same post regarding the idea of reducing the number of people going to the DR on the first evening but wonder why they had a rush only on that night and not others. On the Grand in Feb we had the seafood buffet 3 times on a 10 day trip & on the Emerald in May there was basically nothing to speak of even once. We used to go to the Horizon only because we never liked anything on the menu the first evening but now it's back to the regular DR like we used to do.

Archived