Assisted Boarding Question - Pride, Baltimore

littlesnit

Hi,

I contacted the Special Needs Dept. and explained I MAY need w/c assistance to board depending on my condition after a 4 hr. bus trip to the pier. I checked my e-docs and they state w/c boarding.

Since I am now listed as such, will they require me to use the w/c to board even if (hopefully) I will be feeling well enough to board on my own? How steep is the regular gangway in Baltimore? Do they have a separate gangway that they use for w/c and assisted boarding?

Also, we are expecting to arrive around 2 p.m. or so. Would I have to stand for a long time at check-in? Fun pass, etc., are completed. I am hoping to use the least amount of special assistance as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Moderator, please do not move this thread since this is Pride specific and more readers frequent this board. TY

When you walk in the port and show your Fun Pass to the first person with CCL that asks to see them, ask them for a hand by directing you to the line with the helpers. It is usually reserved for elderly, wheel chairs, and Platinum guest. There you will meet a crew member, usually a bar tender or waiter, who will help you right through and into the ship's lobby.

There is a long steep Gangway. We had to ask about special assistance for my father in law last year. When it came time to go on the cruise he did not need the assistance.

I did notice others with special assistance going in on a lower deck.

Hope you are feeling better.

Hi,

I contacted the Special Needs Dept. and explained I MAY need w/c assistance to board depending on my condition after a 4 hr. bus trip to the pier. I checked my e-docs and they state w/c boarding.

Since I am now listed as such, will they require me to use the w/c to board even if (hopefully) I will be feeling well enough to board on my own? How steep is the regular gangway in Baltimore? Do they have a separate gangway that they use for w/c and assisted boarding?

Also, we are expecting to arrive around 2 p.m. or so. Would I have to stand for a long time at check-in? Fun pass, etc., are completed. I am hoping to use the least amount of special assistance as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Moderator, please do not move this thread since this is Pride specific and more readers frequent this board. TY

No, you're never "required" to request special assistance...it's just that you've notified them that you "may" need it..and so when you arrive at the pier, if you need assistance, then ask. If you don't then just proceed to the boarding line.

I'd probably request it...lines can be long, sometimes delays happen..better to have the assistance and NOT need it, than find yourself halfway through the process and in need of it!

The Pride's gangway is very steep going from ground level up to deck three where you board. Not at all like most terminals where the gangway is level with the ship.

I don't know the procedures for special assistance - just thought you might want to keep in mind the gangway if steepness is a factor.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Our last 2 cruises out of Baltimore they put the special assistance people (about 20 with their famileys) to the front left of the area that leads to the ship. They take the TAs that are touring the boat first, there were about 100 each time, then anybody thats getting married and their groups, then Platinum, then special assistance, then the rest. Anytime from 1130 on. One was 1130 the other was 1230 whenever the ship gets ready.

We cruised in Feb with my mother who was in a wheelchair.

When we boarded, there was no problem. We boarded along with everyone else.

When we got on and off at the ports the front gang plank was a pain getting on and off as it was very steep and narrow.

During debarkation is where we found out there was a more wheelchair accessible route. After going to the front of the ship with everyone else and standing in line, just as we got to the doorway, we were informed we needed to use the handicap exit that was at the back of the ship!!!:mad:

So, we turned around and headed to the back. It was much easier to use that exit. And, a CCL employee was assisting another wheelchair passenger and told us to follow him. He bypassed the long line waiting to go the customs and took us to the front of the line. :) We were outta there in no time.

That's where the guy from customs hands me a flyer and tells me I'm not in compliance with the laws and instead of a BC and ID in the future I need a passport. I say, I'm a US citizen on a closed loop cruise, how am I not compliant. But, that's a whole 'nother story...lol ;)

Archived