Valor Review July 4-11, 2010

vthokie

Information-My 40th birthday cruise with my husband (42). Our second cruise together and my 4th. Previous cruises-Carnival Pride, Fantasy, and Sensation

Day before cruise-July 3rd

Flew from Richmond to FLL with Jet Blue-wonderful direct flight with entertaining flight attendants. After getting luggage, we picked up courtesy phone to call hotel (Comfort Inn on Stirling Drive) Shuttle arrived 25 minutes later and took us back to hotel. Comfort Inn runs a great deal for the flight/shuttle from airport and to the Miami Port free breakfast for $120.00. It is $60.00 to get a return shuttle with the hotel but well worth it. Several restaurants and shopping mall within walking distance. We got our 12 packs of sodas at the K-Mart. Great stay except the kids/adults screaming loudly in the Hampton Inn pool next door until 1:00am. Front desk said it wasn’t their property, so they couldn’t do anything about it.

Debarkation-July 4th

Left FLL at 9:15 and got to Port of Miami around 10:00. Got Zone 1 with no waiting and on ship eating lunch at 11:30 with NO CROWDS. Rooms were available at 1:30, so until then we just explored the ship. It was a very rainy day, so Sail Away wasn’t as fun but we still enjoyed leaving Miami. A car of guys kept riding by mooning us. Looking at “Star Island” where Jennifer Lopez and other stars live, was very fascinating. Enjoyed seeing South Beach. Dinner was come as you are and very delicious. We chose anytime dining in the Lincoln Dining room and never had to wait. Always had a table for two. Zhasminia was our fabulous waitress. Hot Chocolate Melting Cake was the best as always!

After dinner, we walked around and went to the Welcome Show which was awesome!

Day at Sea-July 5th

We were up at 7:00 to get a chair at the pool but were surprised to find there were plenty! When we were on the Pride out of Baltimore chairs were taken by 8:00. We had our coffee leisurely and then the omelet bar..yumm! We relaxed at the pool most of the day and enjoyed the live regae music and pool games. I really liked the “tiered” seating on this ship. After a wonderful dinner (formal night and lobster), we saw the comedians which were good. A little dancing in the disco and early to bed for Grand Caymen.

July 6th-Birthday-Grand Cayman

Short Tender to GC which was an easy process. Caught a cab to 7 Mile Beach.(15 miles to beach).Walked down the beach and got two chairs and use of resort for less than the ship’s price. Clear waters nice white sand..bring your own snorkel equipment.. Also, bring snacks from ship in ziplock bags. Also, we brought our own floats..Went back to ship around 3:00 for a free late lunch. Food and Shopping were expensive at GC. There is a Margaritaville, Senior Frogs, Hard Rock, and other bars there at the Port if you just want to party.

I enjoyed GC but not overly impressed.

Birthday dinner was spectacular..Waiters sang to me and brought cheesecake with a candle. Danced the night away.

July 7th-Isle of Roatan-Best stop

We booked the Canopy/Zipline tour with Victor Bodden and highly recommend his company. We had our own air conditioned car with Caylor, who took us all over the island first. He showed us the most beautiful scenery as he gave us great information about the island. We went to Bodden’s home to Zip which was such an awesome adventure. We LOVED it! They take pictures and make you a CD.

After zipping, we got to hold the monkeys.. I was in heaven! If you hear people say they bite is because of the stupid people screaming in the cages when the monkeys got near them. If you are going to scream and be afraid don’t stress these animals out!! Also, they do not like to be grabbed. Just let them come to you and it will be the best experience ever! I could’ve stayed all day. We also saw toucans, parrots, deer, and island rabbits.

Caylor then took us to lunch on the water at West Bay Beach. $13.00 got us coconut bread, salad, shrimp kabobs, and rice. DELICIOUS!!! Also, try the coconut water.

We had time to go to the beach but decided to head back to the ship. There is Mahagony Beach right there by the ship which is free and beautiful! Wish we would’ve gone there but needed a nap instead.

Evening-Dinner and Karaoke Bar-Tried out for the Legend’s Show-Brittney Spears. Didn’t get it but had fun anyway.

More to come in a bit...

July 8th-Belize-Longer Tender

During this stop, you have to go to the Eagles Lounge to get a tender ticket as early as possible if you have an excursion. We were planning on Cave Tubing but found out that all caves were closed due to flooding. Highly disappointed, we went on to shore and ended up going on a snorkeling tour (FAB TOURS) and off to a beach for $30.00 each. It wasn’t clear since it had rained, the beach and swimming area was not good, and the bugs were horrible. We should’ve done the Mayan Ruins Tour instead or just went back to the ship. Very disappointed!!!

Another awesome evening dining/formal night and going to the show. Made several friends in Karaoke bar, so we went to cheer them on. Late night-pizza bar!!! YUM!

July 9th-Cozumel-Nachi Cocum ALL INCLUSIVE $45.00pperson

Highly recommended!!

Caught a cab to this beach club..Upon arrival, the waiter led us to our private grass hut where we had topnotch service all day. Started with Margaritas and continued with Presidentes relaxing on this gorgeous beach! Got a massage on the beach which was WONDERFUL! Had outstanding food..homemade chips and salsa, shrimp, veggies, rice.

Relaxed in the swim up bar and hottub with some really cool people. Unlimited drinks of anything you want!

Power nap til 8:00, dinner, dancing, Karaoke

July 10th-Last sea day-getting really sad

Since we partied it up yesterday, we took it easy at the pool. Participated in some of the pool games…My husband finally won his ship on a stick during the game show. Legends Show was awesome even though our new friend should’ve gotten the Madonna act. Packed and enjoyed every last second left..

Debarkation-Smooth but Carnival did cram too many people into the Theatre while we waited to get off the ship. Shuttle came within 15 minutes and we were at the airport 3 hours ahead of time.

Conclusions:

Food-Outstanding! Burrito Bar, Pizza Bar, Omelet Bar rocks.. Favorite meals..Eggplant Parm, Jumbo Shrimp, Lobster, Veggie Lasagne, and Diet desserts.

Entertainment/Activites Awesome!! Really like the games in the lounge and pool

Overall-Love the ship, room 1356, loved the staff, service was spectacular, GREAT CRUISE..Highly recommended.

Complaints-Kids running and misbehaving in the dining room especially. Carnival should address the parents! At the pool it is a safety issue.

People are just plain rude..It is definitely a “Me first” world we live in..People pushing their way to get food…Standing in the middle of walk ways talking…NOT washing hands after using the bathroom..No wonder people get sick! Late at night groups of people hanging in the hallway outside cabins laughing/talking loud…That is why they have bars and gathering places people!!!

Babies in the adult pool and pool staff/waiters did not seem to care.

After 4 cruises with Carnival, I have been very pleased overall and plan to continue cruising..If you have any other questions I would be glad to help you!

Hey VTHokie,

We were on the same cruise. Thought it was great as well. We were also at Nachi the same day and did the Victor Bodden Tour and zip-line on Roatan as well. I'd love to do the same cruise again sometime. Glad you liked it as much as our family did.

Thanks for the review. Happy Belated birthday, that is our son's birthday as well :)! I have booked Victor Bodden for our cruise in November, and have been trying to make up my mind about Cozumel you have made the massage on the beach sound so wonderful I think Nachi may be our choice.

Howdy, we were on that cruise, too.

Also did Nachi Cocom, loved it. Great service from our waiter Carlos, he kept the Coronas coming :) We love the ocean so we spent most of the day there, not in the pool.

In Roatan we went on the Rogercat from West Bay Beach. Just 8 passengers on a 31ft cat, spoiled again! We LOVED Roatan and talk of returning there for a vacation.

This was our 3rd time on the Valor, def will not sail on July 4 week again if we can help it, way too crowded. Other years in March or April have been great!

As we had a 1:45 flight out of FLL we were taking our time getting off the ship until the delays began. Apparently Customs was short on staff or maybe just the large # of pax caused a HUGE delay, we didnt get out of the terminal til after 12 noon. Taxi to FLL, arrived as last boarding call for our plane :eek: If you remember the Hertz commercials with OJ running through the airport, that was us! We are always hours early for our flight, but sooner or later something was bound to trip us up, this was our turn. Lucky we made it as all the Spirit flights were overbooked for the rest of the day!

Overall it was a good cruise for us (there really isn't a bad one), can't wait for next time (March 2011):D

Overall-Love the ship, room 1356, loved the staff, service was spectacular, GREAT CRUISE..Highly recommended.

After 4 cruises with Carnival, I have been very pleased overall and plan to continue cruising..If you have any other questions I would be glad to help you!

i'm booked in cabin 1362, 3 doors from where you were. did you take any cabin pictures? i would be most interested to see them. thanks, kim

Archived