chankanaab national park kayak tour

BOUDREAUX

Has anyone gone on this tour? I will be in Cozumel on 12-8-10 and will be with my 8 year old boy, who is a snorkler and my GF. Is this a good tour? are you able to see any fish? what is the condition of the clear kayaks? I'm having trouble finding a tour that we are all going to enjoy.

This tour is actually at a resort called Playa Uvas. It's cheaper to book it direct, but you can certainly book through the ship or one of the other on-line agencies. It's considered part of Chakanaab Park, but not part of the tourist part of the park that most people think of. You can't get to Playa Uvas from Chakanaab Park and vice versa. It's just part of the same national park land site.

The clear kayaks were just okay. It didn't turn out to be as cool an experience as I had expected. Yes, you absolutely can see fish through the kayaks, but it's not like a glass-bottom boat where you have a pretty wide field of view. The fish have to be swimming in a pretty narrow area around your boat for you to see them clearly.

The resort itself is nice. It's small, but they limit the number of guests they accept each day, so it's not crowded. They also offer snorkeling there. We didn't pay to do it, but we had our own gear so we went in on our own. There are lockers, nice restrooms, a small swimming pool, optional massages, food and drinks.

We booked this directly through Play Uvas a in early 2009 and our package got us lunch, the clear kayaks, use of the resort and an open bar. We were assigned a server upon arrival and he worked hard to make sure our glasses were never empty.

Archived