Carnival Victory last night

dkk974

My daughter has been on the Carnival Victory this past week. It returned to San Juan this morning. She tells me that they were awakened at 1 am when the cruise ship took a radical turn and was leaning over so far she felt it might roll. She said every drawer and door flew open with the move and it took about a minute for the ship to slowly return to it's normal level. Everyone was out on their balconies as a result. She was in an aft cabin and said that she saw they passed a bouy right after the sharp turn. Anybody know what happened?

Glad she is ok and hope all others are as well.

----

Thanks. Yep. She is fine. Although it rattled her a bit. She said she sat outside on the balcony for about two hours because she couldn't go back to sleep. She did mention that if anyone was at all frail and up at that time of the night, they probably have some bruises to show for it at the very least.

It won't keep her from cruising but it was the first cruise for her where something like that has happened.

My daughter has been on the Carnival Victory this past week. It returned to San Juan this morning. She tells me that they were awakened at 1 am when the cruise ship took a radical turn and was leaning over so far she felt it might roll. She said every drawer and door flew open with the move and it took about a minute for the ship to slowly return to it's normal level. Everyone was out on their balconies as a result. She was in an aft cabin and said that she saw they passed a bouy right after the sharp turn. Anybody know what happened?

Yes I was on the same cruise at that time outside on the panorama deck. Lots of people came out of their room to the Lido or Panorama deck. The water of the pool on the lido deck close to the pizza station poured out and filled up the deck completely. This section was closed after this.

No I do not know what happened but I am pretty sure there was some kind of navigation error on the bridge. This abrupt turn was not normal (it was exciting though). No one outside on the decks was hurt as far as I could see.

A couple of months ago someone reported that their ship made a sharp turn to avoid a buoy that was floating unanchored. Might be what happened?

Archived