Tokyo

sok1019

Crys, glad to hear that you are back on track for the 9/26 Tokyo-Hong Kong trip. We are looking forward to meeting you. We, too, are getting really excited about the trip, our first to Asia! Linda & Larry

• 1 month later...

Crys, Larry & Linda, MsUnderstood:

My wife, Kathy, and I will be on the Mariner out of Tokyo (we are doing 3 segments to Sydney) and look forward to meeting all of you. We sailed on the Mariner to the S. Pacific in 2003 and thru the Canal last year. Love the ship and the personnel.

We are also looking for transportation from Narita other than the bus (Kathy usually over-packs) and have emailed a limo service. No reply as yet.

Thanks everyone who has responded with suggestions for Tokyo as we are getting in a few days early. Can you take the train to Kyoto, sightsee, and return in one day?

I had emailed one limo company, and eventually got a reply saying that they didn't operate out of Narita. Oh well. I figure with the airporter bus, I should be able to handle my bag. I usually pack light, but for cruises do have a tendency to overpack. But I'd imagine that, for three segments, you would have some formidable luggage to deal with. Have you decided on a hotel yet?

Crystal, I just wrote you on the LCT board. Yes, we will have loads of luggage, but the one response we received from a limo service was over $600!!! So I guess that we will use the Limo Bus. I am leaning toward the InterContinental Tokyo Bay since I am a club member with them. The rates posted online seem reasonable for what I am told is about the most expensive city.

Let me know your plans,

Hi everyone. We are 4 people arriving in the late afternoon of the 25th so will be looking for transportation directly to the ship. Does anyone know if RSSC has a transfer even if not using their air? Also I have been checking regularly thru the hyperlink to the Visa service but no applicatons are available yet for our trip. It just says June 2005?

Has anyone been to Dalian? My husband LOVES to fly his kites and it appears that this is an activity available there. Are there kites for purchase there?

Looking forward to meeting you all and exploring the exotic East!

Jody, I just replied to your message on LCT.

MSUnderstood, I asked my TA about buying a transfer from RSSC, and she tells me that they charge $350. I don't know if that's per person or couple or trip (I'm traveling solo so it's all the same to me). That's when I started searching for a better alternative.

Simon and AJ, is the Tsukiji fish market walking distance from where the ship docks? Since the ship overnights in Tokyo, and I'm sure my body clock will be completely confused at that point, I thought I might get up early and go watch the fish auctions there. Also, is there a subway or JR stop nearby? How about a taxi stand? I'd prefer to do Tokyo on my own, rather than through a ship's excursion.

Simonv is correct -- Tsukiji is too far away from the pier to walk, even at that uncrowded hour of the morning. Given the jet lag, I think you will be wide awake for the experience and it is absolutely fascinating.

Take a cab, but several cautions. First, because very few cab drivers speak any English, have someone write the destination on a piece of paper or a card so that you can show the driver. Second, do the same for the return trip. Third, be sure to have Japanese yen in cash -- cab drivers will almost certainly not take U.S. dollars. Fourth, try to arrange the cab when you get into the pier -- it may be extremely difficult to get a cab at the pier at that hour of the morning otherwise.

Note that Japan does not use credit cards as in the US and ATMs can be hard to find. Thus, take sufficient cash with you for cabs, food, etc., while in Japan. I suggest taking dollar travellers checks and exchanging for yen at the airport. This will be a better exchange rate than for cash and a significantly better exchange rate than you will get on board the ship.

Do not use the ship's tour service for a private tour or cab. Although it can be convenient, it was VERY expensive the last time I was in Tokyo with RSSC compared with what you could do on your own or even with Japanese National Tourist Bureau (JNTB) and was certainly no better. However, on some trips with a large number of through passengers, RSSC does arrange a bus from ship to Tsukiji and back and, if it is nominally priced and if it stays long enough, it can be a very easy way to go there and back.

Whatever you do, take time to enjoy not just the auctions, but the atmosphere and the food (just use the usual precautions when choosing food). It is a unique experience.

AJ

Thanks, that's very useful information. I note you suggest exchanging money using travelers checks. It's usually my habit to make a bee-line for an ATM at the airport upon arrival to get the local currency. I get the impression from what you wrote that maybe I shouldn't count on that?

Archived