Question about Ft. Lauderdale vs Miami (air)

OC Mom

We will be flying from California to Florida for our cruise July 3rd. I had always assumed we would fly into the port city, Miami. I then read about how much cheaper Ft. Lauderdale is to fly into, but am concerned about how long it will take to drive (taxi, shuttle, etc) to Miami and how much it would cost. Also, would it be cheaper to get a hotel in Ft. L and drive into Miami the day of embarkation? Anyone know? We aren't big travlers (only been on 2 flights in our 9 year marriage) and not good at all of this stuff.

Thanks!:)

Coming from California I would definately fly in a day early. FL is about 35 minutes to an hour from Miami port depending on the day and time (communters). I'd check the pre-post cruise board and the ports of call/ United States for info on hotels. As far as air costs, check with airlines directly, or try Cheapair.com to get an idea what the differences will be. I can't remember exactly what it cost us for the cab- maybe $90 one way for a group of 5.

We saved a bundle flying into FLL and hired a town car from the airports ground transport company (Tr-County) to take the 3 of us to our hotel in Miami for $60. It does depend on the airline and your flight time will dictate how long it takes from FLL to MIA, generally though it's half an hour.

FLL is a nice alternative to MIA since Southwest and Delta can be cheaper alternatives into FLL rather than American into MIA. The distance from the FLL to the pier is about 30-45 minutes time wise but can be costly if going by cab. I would suggest checking out shuttle services from the airport to your resort opposed to the cabs. If you are leaving from Miami, it might be best to travel to a hotel in Miami the day your flight comes in instead of trying to leave Fort Lauderdale and going to the port on the day of departure.

Last time we cruised I did notice that it was much less to fly into FLL than Miami. We arrived the day before and caught a shuttle from the airport for about $5.00 bucks a person. There was five of us so that makes it 25.00 dollars. I didn't think the ride was no more than 20-25 minutes to Miami. Maybe we arrived during a non peak traffic time. It was very easy to catch a shuttle. We were barely off the plane when we saw many shuttles out front. Anyway we stayed at the Travelodge (NEVER AGAIN) and the next day we caught a cab to the pier for about $10.00. It was very easy and less stressful so were going to do it again in Nov. This time I believe I'm staying at the Holiday Inn. I haven't made up my mind yet.

These prices that are posted her for transportation is soo really cheap.

And to the person with 5 persons in a taxi--- ?? from FLL to MIA ?? where was the luggage put?

July 3rd is high holiday/summer season. Do a search to find out the price difference between FLL and MIA. You have to re-coop your savings in transportation --its might not be worth the money. When we did this the flight difference was over 100pp plus add on our stretch limo for 33 pp roundtrip we still saved over 100PP to travel to FLL.

We also arrived in MIA the day before...so next day we can arrive early at the pier--well rested to begin out vacation.

Ok, FLL won't work. I visited many online air travel sites and discovered that while we would be saving about $65 each to fly into FLL vs MIA, we can't get the fight home that we need. The only flight (at that reduced price) going to LAX leaves really early in the A.M., when we'll still be on the ship. Oh well. At least we don't have to figure out all those extra transfers. I am also particular that we only take a non-stop flight. The cheaper flights have us on a 4 1/2 layover in Texas. That's not fun. I have also read that 80% of the lost luggage happens on those types of fights. No thank you. That would completely negate any potential savings. So,long story short, we're back to flying into MIA. Thanks for the help!:)

Well I don't know how lost your luggage would get with a 4.5 hour layover, 45 minute, maybe but 4.5 hours probably not. 100% of the time I have had luggage "delayed" I was on direct flights where I checked in 2 hours early. Go figure!

O.C.Mom, I have been looking into the exact same thing for our July cruise on the Valor. What a PAIN! I think it's worth the extra money to fly direct to Miami. The flight I am watching is American Airlines, they have a non stop from LAX to Miami, that leaves around 7 am and arrives at 3 pm. Right now, its about $290.00. I think I am going to look around for another month and see if the price comes down, if not, I am going to snap it up. We are also going to stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown, it has good rates and will let us sleep a family of 5 in one room. Good luck with your search!!

Baja, before you book that Holiday in, take a look at ******* dot com for the Intercontinental. For about $15-20 more per night you can get this hotel through hotwire (and its right across the street). Look for the Restaurant, Pool, Fitness Center and Laundry icons along with a 4 star rating. Also, to search, use zip 33131 and select only downtown Miami.

If you want to save some cash, you can look for the Sheraton Biscayne Bay by finding the 3.5* property with the "Customer Favorite" designation. The full amenities list is Restaurant, Pool, Golf Course Nearby and Tennis Courts Nearby. I see it for under $70 per night and it is only a couple blocks south of the Holiday Inn.

Yo! bajalover!

"The flight I am watching is American Airlines, they have a non stop from LAX to Miami, that leaves around 7 am and arrives at 3 pm. Right now, its about $290.00."

That's a pretty good coast to coast price!

23_5_110.gif

Guest cruzr44
O.C.Mom, I have been looking into the exact same thing for our July cruise on the Valor. What a PAIN! I think it's worth the extra money to fly direct to Miami. The flight I am watching is American Airlines, they have a non stop from LAX to Miami, that leaves around 7 am and arrives at 3 pm. Right now, its about $290.00. I think I am going to look around for another month and see if the price comes down, if not, I am going to snap it up. We are also going to stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown, it has good rates and will let us sleep a family of 5 in one room. Good luck with your search!!

I would check prices daily or even twice a day. I have found them to change quite a bit. Also, on AA web site if you fill out the info they will inform you about rates for your particular itinerary.

Also, you CAN put five people in a taxi, the mini-van type.

We have 4 people in our party flying to FLL, we are staying in downtown miami and heading to the port the next day.

If I can get a shuttle for $5.00 per person to our hotel, that is so worth it. Would the shuttle take me to my hotel? Or is it standard that they take you to the port?

The last time I drove to south Florida, It took me an hour to drive from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. It just depends on whether you want to drive once you get here or fly directly to Miami. Traffic is bad in all the major cities here in Florida. Regardless of the destination, I'd fly in the day before to avoid layovers, delayed flights, etc. If you try priceline.com or hotels.com you may find a cheap rate for a hotel in either location.

Have a good cruise!

Yoray,

Hi!!!!!!!!

I believe 4 to a room is the max but if the 5th is a small child, I'm sure you could get them in there somehow

As far as best flight prices go, has anyone CALLED the airline to see if they have any better priced flights? Online is great but the reservations people seem to be up on specials that might not be programmed in the website.

We just did the 3 day out of FLL on the Miracle. Flying in was no problem - flying out was another story! There were 5 or 6 cruise ships in port and the terminal was a zoo - especially with everyone trying to do curbside check in. They won't let you check in if your flight is less than 3 hours so there were people standing around waiting for their time. Then, you can't proceed through security until you hit the 90 minute window. I think it may be because the airport is smaller and they don't have room for everyone and/or luggage. Anyhow, if I had the choice I think I would pay a little extra and fly into Miami.

First off I think the person who paid $5/pp from FLL to the port of Miami may be a misprint. There is a rideshare service for about $15/pp, and they'll drop you off at your hotel downtown Miami (although they may stop to drop off and pick up people on the way)

Miami is a bit of a pain as far as airports go. Having done about 14 trips into FFL and MIA in the last 7 years I have to admit I prefer FLL, although both have off days. MIA is pretty much always crazy and in general is an unplesent building to be in.

Downtown Miami is nice for a precruise stay, although not particularly adventurous. Bayside Marketplace is for all intensive purposes a nice outdoor mall. Southbeach is something everyone should do at least once, fun for a cruise prestay. Fort Lauderdale is classy for the most part, and several nice hotel near their port and on the beach.

In a pinch both FLL and MIA have some nice hotels that can be had cheap using online bidding sites. I really liked the Hilton at Miami Airport (how many airport hotels are surrounded on 3 sides by a small lake?)

Never use cruiseline transfers from airport to the port unless you're in Miami and need to get to fort lauderdale, or vice versa. The cruise line transfers are usually more expensive then a cab and they herd you onto a bus. DYI I say.

Bajalover, the best I can find, for my near-holiday flight, is about $325 (AA). I was just trying to get a feel for the price for budgeting purposes. I will call the airline and recheck the internet in another month or so. I was hoping FLL would be a big savings. It turns out, for us, it won't be. Too bad :(

I flew from Philly to FLL and stayed 2 nights in FLL and then took a private car to Port of MIA (cost was $70-Including Tip). I also saved almost $200 flying into FLL instead of MIA. I took Carnival's transfer back to FLL and paid under $15 for that and it took us no more then 45 mins. That's after all the terminal stops.

Try travelzoo.com for deals right now they have one for 5 nights for under $400, and great deals for everything.

Good luck!!!

OCMOM, the flight I saw is now gone, but I have been watching BESTFARES.COM and they have a great site for watching airfares. I think I can hook a good deal through them. They also post all local airport fare alongside so you can see your choices on one page. I hope time will be on my side, we cruise 7/24.

Hi OC Mom. I know that you only want direct flights but that puts you in a very small catagory for flights. If you are open to it, check Ontario Airport. We live in North San Diego County and many times fly out of Ontario to Ft. Lauderale at substantial savings. We are doing a cruise in June and will be using Ontario. We will rent a car, stay in Ft. Lauderdale since you will arrive usually no earlier than 4:00 or 4:30. We really like the Embassy Suites or have used Amerisuites. Then in the morning take a leisurely drive to Miami. It is very easy to get from Ft. Laud to Miami. Freeway and really easy. On the way home we will take the Carnival Shuttle back to Ft. Lauderdale. We love the Ontario Airport. Very easy parking and not near as crazy as other airports. Good luck any questions just e-mail me.

Thanks Volleymom :). I check into Ontario (it's closer than LAX for us too) as well as Long Beach, Burbank, etc. No flights showed up on the search. I'm still looking around. Thanks for the info, I know my flight requirements are a pain.

Archived