First-time cruiser needing some expert Cozumel advice

Kay129

My boyfriend and I are taking the 4/18 Sensation. We stop at Calica and Cozumel. In Calica, we plan to go to Xcaret for the day, as it's something we're both interested in, and it seems like the best thing one can do there.

I feel overwhelmed with choices for Cozumel! We're in our early 20's and we are basically open to anything that will make us feel like we had a great day in Cozumel! We like educational stuff, fun adventure stuff, and alcohol related stuff :)

We are interested in any of the following: snorkeling (unless Xcaret's snorkeling is awesome and we get our fill), parasailing, jetskiing, sightseeing (like ruins or something) he's thinking ATV tour (and I'm thinking aaaahhhh!), Paradise Beach (or any nice beach to relax on, but it sounds as if PB is the place to go for a few drinks and some great food), a short time of shopping, some drinking before getting on the boat @ 6 pm.

I know that's a lot :) But when I read posts from other people seeking advice, you all tell them to post what they might be interested in. Any suggestions for what might be a good day for us?

K

We just got back from Cozumel. The only advice I can offer you is be carefull of the snorkelling tours. We went on the worst trip yet in Coz.

The guys who ran the tour were O.K. but took us into 20 feet of water in a heavy current. (tough to dive down & get a good look) NO CORAL just sand, and, worst of all, there were MILLIONS of tiny, stinging jellyfish. Everyone was covered with little red spots. Hurt like hell. Follow the snorkel advice of others on these boards who have gone to more places they can recommend.

Drinking... Ah drinking.

Well. There's the Hard Rock. You should go & get the T-shirt. Smallest Hard Rock in the world y'know.

Then head to Senior Frogs & do some people watching or get goofy yourself.

Then, spend the remainder of your time at the legendary Carlos & Charlies. Trust Me.

All these establishments are on the same stretch and are hopping from noon on.

Have fun!

We just got back from Cozumel. The only advice I can offer you is be carefull of the snorkelling tours. We went on the worst trip yet in Coz.

The guys who ran the tour were O.K. but took us into 20 feet of water in a heavy current. (tough to dive down & get a good look) NO CORAL just sand, and, worst of all, there were MILLIONS of tiny, stinging jellyfish. Everyone was covered with little red spots. Hurt like hell. Follow the snorkel advice of others on these boards who have gone to more places they can recommend.

Kevin and Christine, With whom did you go snorkeling? We'll be in Cozumel on the NCL Sun on 24 Feb and are thinking of booking a catamaran/snorkeling cruise thorugh grandcaymanexcursions.com -- I know the website says GC, but they offer excursions in Cozumel and Belize, too.

Thanks!

We think it was "Adventure Tours"

It kinda sucked as well becausethey kept our group together so close the whole dive that we were eating flippers most of the time.

We've snorkelled a fair bit but this tour pretty much was the worst,

All we know about the cat trip is what we saw on the video on board the ship.

Looked like fun. Lots of "Y...M..C..A.." singing with drinks in hand.

We booked on board & I fear, cheaped out on our tour... $40.

Maybe you get what you pay for.

We booked a dune buggy tour with Eagle Ray Divers (www.eagleraydivers.com). We took a taxi to the office, met the others in our small group of 12 and then jumped in our personal dune buggy fully stocked with mass quantities of beer, soda and bottled water. Our guides took us to a private beach and provided snorkel gear to all. We were able to snorkel for around an 1 1/2 hours out off from a reef. A tour from the cruise boat was off in the distance and there were around 100 people. We had the water all to ourselves and saw many beautiful blue, yellow and purple fish as well as some eels. The water was crystal clear. We then tore down the road and went to another park for some serious four wheel dune buggy action. We visited a small ruin site and then more four wheelin and a stop at a gorgeous beach where our guides prepared a lunch of chicken fajitas, rice and salsa and chips. We swam for awhile and then headed back to town. Our family of five caught a taxi back to the pier for $10. What an incredible day! We're booked for another tour on June 2nd off from the Elation and can't wait! The tour is $89 pp with a deposit payable in advance.

We think it was "Adventure Tours"

It kinda sucked as well becausethey kept our group together so close the whole dive that we were eating flippers most of the time.

We've snorkelled a fair bit but this tour pretty much was the worst,

All we know about the cat trip is what we saw on the video on board the ship.

Looked like fun. Lots of "Y...M..C..A.." singing with drinks in hand.

We booked on board & I fear, cheaped out on our tour... $40.

Maybe you get what you pay for.

That is disappointing. I have been looking forward to snorkeling Cozumel for months....do you know if that company's name is "Adventure Tours" or are they linked with someone else? We are booked with Mayan Paradise, and I want to make sure our experience is NOT like that.

Thanks!

That is disappointing. I have been looking forward to snorkeling Cozumel for months....do you know if that company's name is "Adventure Tours" or are they linked with someone else? We are booked with Mayan Paradise, and I want to make sure our experience is NOT like that.

Thanks!

I liked Mayan Paradise. I did Snuba with them and two snorkel stops or you can skip the snuba and have three snorkel stops.

My review is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=103072

I also like Eagle Ray for those going with them.

We're in our early 20's and we are basically open to anything that will make us feel like we had a great day in Cozumel! We like educational stuff, fun adventure stuff, and alcohol related stuff :)

We are interested in any of the following: snorkeling (unless Xcaret's snorkeling is awesome and we get our fill), parasailing, jetskiing, sightseeing (like ruins or something) he's thinking ATV tour (and I'm thinking aaaahhhh!), Paradise Beach (or any nice beach to relax on, but it sounds as if PB is the place to go for a few drinks and some great food), a short time of shopping, some drinking before getting on the boat @ 6 pm.

OK, here is what I would do (since you don't appear to be certified scuba divers) I would get the Cozumel Map and rent a car, not scooters, for the day and drive around the island. I'd go in a clockwise direction. Drive up thru town and across the island. You can stop at the San Gervasio ruins to see the best ruins that Cozumel has to offer, but they aren't as grand at the ruins you will see at Xcaret. There are souvenir stands on this road, chould be cheap if you like to bargain. On the West side of the island the first beach club you will see is Mezcalito's, home of the famous "Naked Beach" be sure to stop there and at least take a photo of yourselves by the sign. Also walk on the beach, the sand is really soft. Food is pretty good there if you are hungry. If you drink there, only have one as the Mexican Police take a dim view on drinking and driving. They do patrol the West side of the island too. After you look around at Mezcalito's and the other shops there, head south. There are several places to stop along the west side. Here is a brief list. Coconuts and Chen Rio are two of the more popular clubs. A caution against swimming from the west side beaches, there are strong undertows that can and do kill people. There are no life guards so swim at your own risk.

When you get to the southern tip of the island, there is Punta Sur, a government ecological park with bird watching, snorkeling, a museum, a Mayan ruin, and lots of lagoon. Park admission $10.

Now you are ready to start up the east side of the island. The first beach club you will encounter is Playa Palancar. I'd stop there for a rest. The beach is nice, I thought the fish tacos were good, and you can get a drink. I would be surprised if there were many people at this beach club just because it is the farthest south from the cruise docks.

After your rest, continue up the east side. Time permitting, you can stop at any of the other beach clubs such at Paradise Beach. If you rented the car at the pier, you can return it there. There will be plenty of shopping available there as well as drinking establishments. I recommend Los Cinco Soles for their large selection of Mexican goods. I like that their prices are posted and they take plastic.

There, how does that sound?

Good snorkeling at Dzul Ha - a $10 (with tip) taxi ride from the docks. There are 2 beach clubs there Dzul Ha Beach Club and Palmar Estate Beach Club (not much beach though - ironshore). For a total of $50 (for the two of us) (including taxi fare there and back, snacks and drinks and renting fins) we had a very good snorkeling experience.

Like you have East and West confused?
I think you might be right.

East side is the wild side on the other side of the island and the West side is the one where the ships dock and has all the resorts and such.

Other than that, What do ya think?

You sound like me. I am in my ealy 20's and I like the same kind of things you seem to like. I recommend everyone do this on their first trip to Cozumel. It's a staple there, the party boat. It doesn't matter if you do a bigger boat or a catamaran. You can find these through the ship and I would recommend a tour through the shop your first time. The party boats I have been on include a ride to the beach (Usually Playa Del Sol or Sun Beach) sometimes they include snorkeling on the way to the beach and then beach activities. They have chairs, an in the water air wall to climb an in the water trampoline, a bar and restrooms nearby. There is also parasailing, jet skiing, and banana boat rides there for an additional fee. On the way back to the ship is where you get the party boat with all the cerveza and rum punch you can drink! Have fun. You will enjoy whatever you do.

I think you might be right.

East side is the wild side on the other side of the island and the West side is the one where the ships dock and has all the resorts and such.

Other than that, What do ya think?

Now you're talkin'. I like the plan. The map is still out of stock, but the new version should be available before the trip. If not, there is Franko's map.

Xcaret is a great place for all the things you want to do. The ruins are small, but ther caves are great, and if you like snuba it is also good, Then before taking the ferry back to coz, the main drag in playa de carmen has lots of great drinking places.

My sons are 17, 16 and 13. They really want some free time in each port. It sounds as if Cozumel may be safe for them to wander around while I shop in the town in the afternoon. What do you experienced travelers think?
If they stay together and you don't let them have very much money, I don't think they can get into too much trouble. Cozumel is a pretty safe island. If you could plan what they are going to do in advance it would be better for everyone rather than just letting them wander around in town or at the pier. They should be able to take a taxi by themselves. They would probably enjoy a discover scuba activity.

Don't let them rent mopeds. Moped accidents injure people every day in Cozumel. You don't want your sons to be one of them.

Archived