First timer: should I book directly thru Carnival?

lemondog

Looking at a Jan. 2011 cruise on the Triumph. Costs thru Carnival seem to be the same as thru all the "discount" travel agents, so which is the right way to go?

Also, are deals more likely to pop up closer to time? Like I notice some travel agents offering things like on-board credits, free upgrades, etc.

Sorry...complete newbie to cruising (usually will find us at WDW but DH and I want a small getaway sans kids) and not really sure the best way to approach this.

Thank you!

If you are looking at January of 2011, I would sugest you book an early saver rate directly with Carnival. That way, if deals "pop up" closer to your sailing date, and the price drops, you can "apply" for the difference through the early saver price protection guaranty. If you book through a TA, you can also book ES rates, but you will need to continue to go through the TA to get your price reductions (and they might charge a fee to fill out the forms for you). Book yourself, and you can do your own forms. If you are before final payment, you will get a price reduction, if you are after final payment you will get an on board credit. And you can apply for the reductions / credits up to 2 days before you sail. So far. for us, we have gotten $160.00 in On Board Credit for our upcoming cruise in September:D. And hoping for more... Its a great program, you get the lowest price available when you book, and you are guaranteed that you will always have the best "Carnival advertized" price availlable. Read the fine print though, there are steep "penalties" if you need to cancel:eek: , so make sure you will be able to go for the dates that you book.

I agree with NS. Working with Carnival has saved us a lot of the headaches we experienced on our first cruise booked with a TA. I like to handle things on my own and appreciate being able to call Carnival directly when I need to, as opposed to waiting for business hours at the TA, waiting for my TA to look into what I asked, then get back to me etc.

Early Saver is super easy to monitor and submit yourself, then no worries about missing timelines if you spot the drop late at night or on a weekend and have to wait for the agent to submit for you.

Enjoy your first cruise!

also with ES if you cancel you lose $50pp administrative fees and CCL will hold the rest towards another cruise within 2 years.

Also you can't change people so if someone who is booked with you you can't just find somebody else to take their place.

Bill

Archived