Buying pharmaceuticals in port

shellybell42

Well I am going to chew my daughter out..she could have just become a pharmacist instead of a doctor and saved me a ton of money and her a ton of time.

My daugther did that...actually chose PharmD over Law School LOL!!! She starting this fall.

My sister bought Birth Control pills in Mexico about 12 years ago....Now I have an 11 year old nephew...OOPS!!!!!!!!! He's awesome though, so I guess it was the way it was meant to be :)

I paid $600.00 to a fitness center, didn't drop a pound. Evidently you actually have to go there!:D:D

do you need prescriptions to get stuff in say belize?

From Belize.com:

"You can purchase practically any type of medication in Belize. Most brands are North American or European and of recent sourced from Latin America. Medications in Belize are not cheap – generally marked up about 25% higher compared to prices in the U.S. This is in sharp contrast to what you will find in Mexico or Canada where meds are more affordable compared to the US. Belize has a small consumer base – about 350,000 people, and taxes of all types are levied on every step of the pharmaceuticals import supply chain by government. Business owners have no choice but to pass this on to the consumer."

"The only advantage Belize has is that some pharmacies will accommodate visitors who may have misplaced or left their prescriptions home. Since many Belizeans are very poor and cannot afford to attend a doctor, some pharmacies function as a one-stop source of medical advice and dispensary of medications for common ailments. You will find that the smaller Mom and Pop pharmacies will be more accommodating compared to larger pharmacies where the pharmacist on duty (usually an employee) will insist on a prescription – even if you are feeling ill and your prescription is back home in the U.S."

So can someone tell me if I can buy this drugs that I have prescriptions for:

Flexiril (very bad back issues)

Viccodine or it's generic (also for bad back issues)

Percocet (back)

Immitrex (severe migraines)

I don't understand how this would work, would I bring my prescription bottles with them to show the pharmacist that I do have RX for them or how does it work.

The Immitrex alone can cost me up to $200+ when I don't use the generic.

Thanks in advance for the info.

I believe that those are classified as narcotics, at least I know that Viccodine and Percocet are in that category. You are asking for major troubles if you are found importing them back into the US. Pretty much the same penalty as bringing in an illegal drug.

I believe that those are classified as narcotics, at least I know that Viccodine and Percocet are in that category. You are asking for major troubles if you are found importing them back into the US. Pretty much the same penalty as bringing in an illegal drug.

My understanding is that if you have a valid prescription and bring back a 90 day or less supply, the tendency is to look the other way.

Having said that, if you have a valid prescription, you probably want to see if there is a generic available and see how much Walmart charges. It might be cheaper.

And no, you don't need a prescription for what the pharmacy in Belize sells. Believe it or not, there are things they won't sell. I understand they are on a first name basis with the DEA agent that checks up on them periodically. A lot of what they sell is available over the counter in many countries - just not in the U.S.

One does not need a medical degree to have knowledge. One does not need any sort of degree to have knowledge, and the snobbery of that statement is just astounding. Repeated illnesses, the Physician's Desk Reference, and the internet as well as a good dose of common sense are rather helpful, I find. As the other poster has pointed out, a decent pharmacist can diagnose 90% of what a doctor can, and in Mexico they can actually sell you what you need instead of just apologizing and sending you off to a physician for a piece of paper. In fact, for many, many decades people relied on their pharmacists and not their doctors. And by the way, there is a world of difference between MRSA and Strep.

You caught me! I am an education snob. What I find astounding is that people with absoulutly no medical background think it is perfectly fine to self diagnose and treat an illness. I will happily use Strep as an example. Many people go to the doctor each each year with a sore throat. Here is the epidemiology (like a PP I used wikipedia because it is fast...would be happy to quote more indepth source if asked.)

Pharyngitis, the broader category into which Streptococcal pharyngitis falls, is diagnosed in 11 million people annually in the United States.[1] Although most cases are viral, group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus is the cause in 15—30% of the pharyngitis cases in children and 5—20% in adults.[1] Cases usually occur in late winter and early spring.[1]

Based on this information only 5-30% of sore throats are actually strep throat. Unless someone has a home culturing kit and incubator in their kitchen, there is no way to self diagnose and more than likely ppl are taking abx for a viral throat infection (abx do not work on viral infections). This contributes to MRSA (and yes I was taught the difference between strep and MRSA in nursing school) due to the overuse of abx.

As far as pharmacists go (and I think they are great people who know THEIR job well) but I equate your logic to taking your Caddy to the guy who pumps your gas to get it fixed.

You caught me! I am an education snob. What I find astounding is that people with absoulutly no medical background think it is perfectly fine to self diagnose and treat an illness. I will happily use Strep as an example. Many people go to the doctor each each year with a sore throat. Here is the epidemiology (like a PP I used wikipedia because it is fast...would be happy to quote more indepth source if asked.)

Pharyngitis, the broader category into which Streptococcal pharyngitis falls, is diagnosed in 11 million people annually in the United States.[1] Although most cases are viral, group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus is the cause in 15—30% of the pharyngitis cases in children and 5—20% in adults.[1] Cases usually occur in late winter and early spring.[1]

Based on this information only 5-30% of sore throats are actually strep throat. Unless someone has a home culturing kit and incubator in their kitchen, there is no way to self diagnose and more than likely ppl are taking abx for a viral throat infection (abx do not work on viral infections). This contributes to MRSA (and yes I was taught the difference between strep and MRSA in nursing school) due to the overuse of abx.

As far as pharmacists go (and I think they are great people who know THEIR job well) but I equate your logic to taking your Caddy to the guy who pumps your gas to get it fixed.

You're certainly entitled to you opinion, but there are some who don't agree with you. And why do you automatically just assume someone is overusing antibiotics? People can own them and never use them. That aside, wouldn't doctors prescribing antibiotics for sore throats that are viral be a bigger problem that people who buy their own antibiotics? I mean, logically, more people are going to doctors than buying Mexican antibiotics, right?

One more question for you ... why do doctors prescribe antibiotics without waiting to get the results of throat cultures?

Lastly, as an education snob, I would hope you know that Wikipedia is not a really good source as it's a collection of user-generated content, a lot of which is uncited. It's certainly not a primary source. It's a pet peeve of mine when they speak of it as if it's definitive, as it's not. It's very prone to cast opinion as fact.

People speak with no backgroud on which to base it all the time on these boards. No need to be astounded. ;)

That aside, wouldn't doctors prescribing antibiotics for sore throats that are viral be a bigger problem that people who buy their own antibiotics? I mean, logically, more people are going to doctors than buying Mexican antibiotics, right?

The problem is not due to any ONE factor. That's unfortunate, because if you could pin it on one thing, then it would be easier to solve.

People self diagnosing, then taking antibiotics they have obtained without a prescription are part of the problem.

Doctors over prescribing antibiotics are part of the problem.

Overuse of antibiotics in animals are part of the problem.

People obtaining antibiotics for bacterial infections and not taking the full course are part of the problem.

Antibiotics making their way into our food and water supplies are part of the problem.

It's a big problem with multiple causes; it's getting worse, however, and making antibiotics available over the counter is contributing to this in a big way. It's not just happening in Mexico, it's a much larger problem, especially with the internet right now. A few cruisers going to Mexico is one thing; unfortunately, it's gone way beyond that now.

The problem is not due to any ONE factor. That's unfortunate, because if you could pin it on one thing, then it would be easier to solve.

People self diagnosing, then taking antibiotics they have obtained without a prescription are part of the problem.

Doctors over prescribing antibiotics are part of the problem.

Overuse of antibiotics in animals are part of the problem.

People obtaining antibiotics for bacterial infections and not taking the full course are part of the problem.

Antibiotics making their way into our food and water supplies are part of the problem.

It's a big problem with multiple causes; it's getting worse, however, and making antibiotics available over the counter is contributing to this in a big way. It's not just happening in Mexico, it's a much larger problem, especially with the internet right now. A few cruisers going to Mexico is one thing; unfortunately, it's gone way beyond that now.

I honestly don't believe it's as much of the problem as the Health Care Industry would like us all to believe. After all, where would HMOs be without our co-pays? ;) I'll be in the corner with my tinfoil hat now.

Honestly, while I appreciate your passion and your time spent patiently explaining, I still don't agree with you. I think it's way too easy for folks to paint anyone buying this stuff as a potential Angel of Death, Spreader of the Plague when most likely the people who use the stuff are relatively responsible, mainly because they know they are prone to certain infections, know how it's treated, and don't want (or can't afford) to deal with the doctor every time it flairs up. I think a much bigger issue is doctors who throw antibiotics around like candy, as well as the overuse by veternarians on meat and milk producing animals.

I honestly don't believe it's as much of the problem as the Health Care Industry would like us all to believe. After all, where would HMOs be without our co-pays? ;) I'll be in the corner with my tinfoil hat now.

Honestly, while I appreciate your passion and your time spent patiently explaining, I still don't agree with you. I think it's way too easy for folks to paint anyone buying this stuff as a potential Angel of Death, Spreader of the Plague when most likely the people who use the stuff are relatively responsible, mainly because they know they are prone to certain infections, know how it's treated, and don't want (or can't afford) to deal with the doctor every time it flairs up. I think a much bigger issue is doctors who throw antibiotics around like candy, as well as the overuse by veternarians on meat and milk producing animals.

Antibiotics being available to anyone over the counter or by internet will soon be (if it's not already) a greater problem than that of physicians over prescribing them. It will overtake physician irresponsibility-it's just a matter of time, if it's not already the case. It's not as obvious here, because we still need prescriptions to obtain them quickly. But with the internet black market even this is changing in the US. This is a worldwide problem - and not everyone everywhere is "relatively responsible." People are starting to demand animal products from animals not treated with hormones and antibiotics. That's a good start. I don't know that it is going to be enough to really address the problem in a significant way. We can hope, of course.

The bigger problem is lack of affordable health care in the U.S. that is forcing Americans to investigate alternatives.

Look for health junkets to Costa Rica and other countries for quality, affordable health care.

Looks like we are "outsourcing" health care along with everything else.

My understanding is that if you have a valid prescription and bring back a 90 day or less supply, the tendency is to look the other way.

Okay... someone chime in on this. Is this fact or self proclamation? No disrespect to the OP... Just wondering if anyone has FACTUAL informaton that I could walk onto the Triumph in October with a 90 supply of percocet's (replaced hip and left knee, chronic pain) and I wouldn't get stopped by Carnival Security and, more importantly, stopped at Customs and thrown into the NOLA County Jail for further review.

Thanks

Okay... someone chime in on this. Is this fact or self proclamation? No disrespect to the OP... Just wondering if anyone has FACTUAL informaton that I could walk onto the Triumph in October with a 90 supply of percocet's (replaced hip and left knee, chronic pain) and I wouldn't get stopped by Carnival Security and, more importantly, stopped at Customs and thrown into the NOLA County Jail for further review.

Thanks

Carnival security couldn't care less about legitimate drugs.

You might be stopped by Customs, particularly if you have an attitude.

I can guarantee you won't be tossed in County jail - Louisiana doesn't have counties - they have parishes. :p

For legality, you can start here:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml

Medication

Rule of thumb:When you go abroad, take the medicines you will need, no more, no less. Narcotics and certain other drugs with a high potential for abuse - Rohypnol, GHB and Fen-Phen, to name a few - may not be brought into the United States, and there are severe penalties for trying to do so. If you need medicines that contain potentially addictive drugs or narcotics (e.g., some cough medicines, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, antidepressants or stimulants), do the following:

• Declare all drugs, medicinals, and similar products to the appropriate CBP official;
  • Carry such substances in their original containers;
  • Carry only the quantity of such substances that a person with that condition (e.g., chronic pain) would normally carry for his/her personal use; and
  • Carry a prescription or written statement from your physician that the substances are being used under a doctor's supervision and that they are necessary for your physical well being while traveling.

U.S. residents entering the United States at international land borders who are carrying a validly obtained controlled substance (other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD), are subject to certain additional requirements. If a U.S. resident wants to bring in a controlled substance (other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD) but does not have a prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner (e.g., physician, dentist, etc.) who is registered with, and authorized by, the Drug Enforcement Administration to prescribe the medication, the individual may not import more than 50 dosage units of the medication into the United States. If the U.S. resident has a prescription for the controlled substance issued by a DEA registrant, more than 50 dosage units may be imported by that person, provided all other legal requirements are met.

Please note that only medications that can be legally prescribed in the United States may be imported for personal use. Be aware that possession of certain substances may also violate state laws. As a general rule, the FDA does not allow the importation of prescription drugs that were purchased outside the United States. Please see their Web site for information about the enforcement policy for personal use quantities.

Warning: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration prohibits the importation, by mail or in person, of fraudulent prescription and nonprescription drugs and medical devices. These include unorthodox “cures” for such medical conditions as cancer, AIDS, arthritis or multiple sclerosis. Although such drugs or devices may be legal elsewhere, if the FDA has not approved them for use in the United States, they may not legally enter the country and will be confiscated, even if they were obtained under a foreign physician’s prescription.

Additional information about traveling with and importing medication can be found at the FDA's Drugs page. ( Drugs )

So am I reading this right?:::

If a U.S. resident wants to bring in a controlled substance (other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD) but does not have a prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner (e.g., physician, dentist, etc.) who is registered with, and authorized by, the Drug Enforcement Administration to prescribe the medication, the individual may not import more than 50 dosage units of the medication into the United States. If the U.S. resident has a prescription for the controlled substance issued by a DEA registrant, more than 50 dosage units may be imported by that person, provided all other legal requirements are met.

Without a prescription you can bring in 50 tablets?

So am I reading this right?:::

If a U.S. resident wants to bring in a controlled substance (other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD) but does not have a prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner (e.g., physician, dentist, etc.) who is registered with, and authorized by, the Drug Enforcement Administration to prescribe the medication, the individual may not import more than 50 dosage units of the medication into the United States. If the U.S. resident has a prescription for the controlled substance issued by a DEA registrant, more than 50 dosage units may be imported by that person, provided all other legal requirements are met.

Without a prescription you can bring in 50 tablets?

As far as Customs is concerned, however:

"As a general rule, the FDA does not allow the importation of prescription drugs that were purchased outside the United States. Please see their Web site for information about the enforcement policy for personal use quantities."

and then you get to dig through their site.

Here is something that might be applicable:

http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ImportProgram/ucm173751.htm

I don't think it is legal, but I do think they tend to look the other way, generally, if you are within the guidelines.

Archived