Cannes during the Film Festival

Arubamoose

Just realized that our cruise on the Solstice in May will tender at Cannes on the first Sunday of the Film Festival.

Hopefully that will mean that most establishments will be open?

We are probably just going to walk around, take in the sights, hopefully get in a lunch at Gaston Gastounette (waiting for them to get back to me) and people watch.

Would like some ideas of things to do if the crowds get too intense.

Has anyone ever been to Cannes during the Film Festival. Any advice?

Hi Moose:

We stopped there during the film festival in 2008. Lots of fun, especially for anyone who has the slightest interest in film and the film business. Fun to strol around and take it all in. Along La Croisette there's booths set up offering the latest daily film/festival news, along with promotional freebies (t-shirts, posters and the like) from the big movies at the Festival. Busy, but not crazy...I'd say it's more of a nice buzz about town. It'll be hard to miss the great yachts in the harbour--check out the parties on the yachts as you tender back to the ship at day's end!

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Just realized that our cruise on the Solstice in May will tender at Cannes on the first Sunday of the Film Festival.

Hopefully that will mean that most establishments will be open?

We are probably just going to walk around, take in the sights, hopefully get in a lunch at Gaston Gastounette (waiting for them to get back to me) and people watch.

Would like some ideas of things to do if the crowds get too intense.

Has anyone ever been to Cannes during the Film Festival. Any advice?

Bumping this up hoping I'll get some responses. Now that you've been to Canne during the festival, any hints? We will be there this coming May. Are the beaches open or closed for the films? Do we need restaurant reservations or can we just stroll and find a sidewalk cafe? Any info. helpful, thanks.

We stayed in Aix over Christmas this past year and visited Eze, Monaco, Cote D'zure, Avignon, Toulon and Marseille in a December so just want to be low key in Cannes. What a beautiful area! We are so excited to see it in the spring!

Happy cruising!

Hi Scuba:

It's not like the place is absolutely overrun with people or anything--just interestingly busy, but with a lot of film people--mostly film industry people/exec types. Like any film festival, the big 'public' events like screenings or premieres with the 'stars' mostly take place at night (you can see the red carpet laid out at the convention centre), and the parties go late. Not surprisingly, no one gets up very early--we found it very quiet until at least noon--and the days, typically, are for film people/execs doing deals--which they mostly do at the big hotels (which are locked down pretty tight). We just ate at one of the sidewalk cafes--no problem, and ended up having a nice conversation with a Brit film exec who was just trying to take a break from the biz.

Beaches are wide open.

Like I said, Cannes during the film festival is interesting and fun, and there's a definite buzz on, but not crazy (or crazy busy) at all.

Kevin

Hi Scuba:

It's not like the place is absolutely overrun with people or anything--just interestingly busy, but with a lot of film people--mostly film industry people/exec types. Like any film festival, the big 'public' events like screenings or premieres with the 'stars' mostly take place at night (you can see the red carpet laid out at the convention centre), and the parties go late. Not surprisingly, no one gets up very early--we found it very quiet until at least noon--and the days, typically, are for film people/execs doing deals--which they mostly do at the big hotels (which are locked down pretty tight). We just ate at one of the sidewalk cafes--no problem, and ended up having a nice conversation with a Brit film exec who was just trying to take a break from the biz.

Beaches are wide open.

Like I said, Cannes during the film festival is interesting and fun, and there's a definite buzz on, but not crazy (or crazy busy) at all.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! Sounds like fun. We won't plan anything specific and just the town.

It's very exciting. We walked along the pier and ogled the FABULOUS yachts! Never saw anything like it. The decor of some of them was quite fantastic. We looked for celebrities and saw one interviewed, but for the life of me, I didn't

know who she was (although she did look familiar!)

At lunch at a sidewalk cafe, we sat next to people attending the festival, but they were lawyers or bankers, not film people. Afterwards, we walked up the hill, to the old town for views, etc.

Wonderful day!

Archived