disabled on viking river cruise to china

1sweetp

Any feedback from previous china river cruises would be appreciated. I need specifics to how strenous the walking tours are as well as how difficult the ports of call are. Are they easily managed? I would really like to take this cruise but I need to know the downs before booking.thank you

WE booked on a similar trip with Grand Circle two years ago. We cancelled after several people who had done this trip said that the trip was not very possible for physically challenged people.. Things like getting off the bus a quarter mile away, or many steps and no elevators in China airports. We reconsidered and cancelled the trip. I don't think my husband could have managed it. From what I hear from other travelers, this is a pretty stenuous trip.

I must say we didn't find the cruise or trip that strenous. However it is NOT wheel chair accessible. The river cruise we were on did not have an elevator. We were warned it would be strenuous and it diffently was not, I walk more at home, but we are from NYC were we walk more than some of our suburban cousins. Chopquin was a a couple of staircases up so we paid someone to carry our hand luggage(a couple of bucks). The great wall is a hike up so you take your time....unless you can't walk a 100 feet without collapsing you should be ok---just expect to get some exercise. The airports(5 of them) were all very modern with escalotors and elevators---very crowded and the Chinese don't believe in lines- All the airports are relatively new, China is getting ready for the 2008 OLympics.

PS I have walked more on a regular cruise(nonChinese non River cruise) just from one end of the ship to the other, and I have had to walk longer for a cruise line bus. Since the ships are relatively small its not 500 buses waiting to pick you up. I would only listen to people who have been a cruise recently- China is changing rapidily-you can ask people just about the differences in bathrooms- the ones with the handicap signs have commodes and the Chinese love them :) )

here is what you are missing

http://dell.shutterfly.com/view/pictures.jsp?aid=67b0de21b30f4d1484af

Any feedback from previous china river cruises would be appreciated. I need specifics to how strenous the walking tours are as well as how difficult the ports of call are. Are they easily managed?

I'm 72 years old, in lousy shape, had back surgery, and was on the Viking Century Star last Fall (8/2004).

The walking tours are long but it isn't as if everyone is doing doubletime! I would venture to say that it was OK for me except for (1) Fengdu and the White Snow Cave. But it was pouring and you had to go about about a mile or so on an incline path to the cave which was about 1.5 miles up and down. If you been to Carlsbad Caverns or Mommoth National Park, these caves aren't worth the effort. You always can bum around Fengdu.

The other part was getting on board the vessel at Chungquing which required you to go down some 50=60 stairs from the roadway to the river. It has no railing but there are people there that can assist you with your carry-on and even help you down the stairs - which was no fun, again, in the rain.

Remember from the time your plane arrives in China, to the time you leave China, the Viking people handle all your baggage other than your hand-carry. Of course my handcarry usually only has a couple of books, two cameras, a laptop, earphones, inflatable pillows!

The Great Wall can be a bear but you are not compelled to climb it from point A to point B!

Other than that, it was an experience that you should not miss unless you are wheelchair bound.

Archived