Baltimore - Drive or Fly from Toronto??

swissmiss

Going out of Baltimore March 21/2010, and just wondered if anyone has ever driven, or flown from the Toronto, Ontario area. If we were to fly, we would have to drive to Buffalo NY, as it is way cheaper. Especially at that time of year, I would like to get there the day before, in case of a spring snowstorm.

I have relatives in both Buffalo and Toronto and used to hate that drive! I can't imagine driving home to Toronto after the cruise. As I recall, it's at good 9 hour trip. That's not the way I'd want to end my vacation. YMMV

I would recommend flying Southwest Airlines to BWI from Buffalo. Their flight schedule is not up for March 2011, but as of now they have 7 non-stops each way, some with fares as low as $49 one way. There are several nice airport hotels. The cruise terminal is about 13 miles from the airport.

I am a Baltimorean who lived in Toronto 2003-2007 and made the trip between the two cities frequently.

When I was on business and someone else was paying, I flew Air Canada Jazz. As you know Pearson Airport in Toronto is the most expensive airport in North America due to the hefty landing fees. So, when it was on my dime, I drove around the lake to Buffalo and took Southwest.

I still go north to Toronto three or four times a year on business. I usually fly Southwest to Buffalo and rent a car, and I still save money over the direct Baltimore-Toronto flight.

At the beginning of July I drove back from Toronto. It took 9 and a half hours; I'm getting too old to do that.

I vote for flying Southwest from Buffalo to Baltimore.

If you fly Southwest, I highly recommend taking the Early Bird option of paying $10 and you get an early boarding number....you don't have to worry about getting boarding passes and your number will be preassigned for you...just get your boarding passes at the airport.

Chesterpeake..... Thanks for the info, you are certainly right about Toronto's airport. Since you live in Baltimore, and if we do fly, where would you suggest the best area would be to get a hotel for the night before. I don't think we will have time to do any sightseeing, so just a reasonable, clean place and if we're lucky, a way to get to the cruise port. I have seen on this board that a lot of people use stay123 to get rooms, and I have also seen many posts warning people not to stay in certain areas. If hubby gets his way and we drive, we'll need a place to park. Friends going with us are driving, as his wife won't fly. Maybe I'll just meet them there. ha ha ha

As you are driving from the north and will be coming down I-95, I suggest you stay in the White Marsh area. It is about a 15 minute direct drive to the port, and the hotels are located near a large mall right off I-95 in a very safe area.

See:

http://www.google.com/search?q=hotels+whitemarsh+maryland

There is ample parking at the port of Baltimore as well.

Dr JJ has given you good advice. There are several hotels/motels in the Whitemarsh area that offer park and cruise packages. You get a night's stay, parking for the length of the cruise, and a shuttle to and from the CruiseMaryland Terminal which is about 10 to 12 minutes south via Interstate 95. One word of caution: when traveling south on 95 you will have to go through the Ft. McHenry Tunnel ($2). You should be in the far right lane when you go through as Exit 55 for the terminal comes upon you quickly as you exit the tunnel.

While there are also good packages such as these near the airport, your friends are not flying. Consequently, the White Marsh area would be the better place to rendezvous.

But do plan to come back and vacation in Maryland. The Land of Pleasant Living has everything you are looking for from the mountains in the West to the beach on the Eastern coast. Of course, there is historic Annapolis and Baltimore.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
I would recommend flying Southwest Airlines to BWI from Buffalo. Their flight schedule is not up for March 2011, but as of now they have 7 non-stops each way, some with fares as low as $49 one way. There are several nice airport hotels. The cruise terminal is about 13 miles from the airport.

Thanks so much for reminding me to fly out of Buffalo! I had always discounted it, as any time I checked, the flights were always at the crack of dawn. This meant staying overnight etc.

For our forthcoming trip, I checked again, and can get a noonish flight with SW and a bus from Burlington as well, for waaaaayyyyy less than flying out of Pearson.

Thanks again!

M.

Archived