Bare Feet or shoes?

pcmodhouse

I go barefoot (with sunblock on my feet - don't forget the BOTTOM of your feet if you plan on laying on the beach!). If the beach has shells/rocks at the shoreline that you need to walk on in order to get into the water, like the St. Thomas beach had this year, I wear my sport thongs (flip-flops). They don't come off in the water.

I couldn't wear water shoes even if I wanted to, due to foot pain, but I wouldn't want to anyway, LOL.

sandals.

definitely not barefoot.

flip flops are ok for the beach, but if you plan on walking a bit, not the best.

and 'water shoes' for rocky beaches or if you're doing something like climbing dunns river falls...

but never barefoot... not even on the ship...

I use Vibram Five Fingers. I'm at the beach or in the water alot so I wanted something that I felt more comfortable in then the aquashoes. Now I have other pairs that is use for running around the house and taking care of the animals outside. I love them and can't speak highly enough of them.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_Sprint_f.cfm

I love the looks of those! How thick is the sole? Comfortable enough to walk a trail in Belize? Also are they pretty slip resistant? Does it take some getting used to when your toes are in "gloves"?

I have a pair of Merrels that I have to replace (worn out!) but my prob with them was how unstable I felt when the sole was wet. My foot slipped within them a lot. Also I've had typical watershoes and they just aren't comfy! Thank you for the info!

Not sure my toes would be happy in those toe shoes..but not sure my water proof Tevas will pass the beach test and really wonder in rougher sandy rocky coral pieces type water..only water shoes I got slipped off heel and rubbed blisters...want to non flipper snorkel on a beach and flipper snorkel off a excursion/boat..and tender tootsies...hmmmmm...reading and taking notes..thanks all....maybe old tennies for the rocky sandy stuff...hmmmm

I love the looks of those! How thick is the sole? Comfortable enough to walk a trail in Belize? Also are they pretty slip resistant? Does it take some getting used to when your toes are in "gloves"?

I have a pair of Merrels that I have to replace (worn out!) but my prob with them was how unstable I felt when the sole was wet. My foot slipped within them a lot. Also I've had typical watershoes and they just aren't comfy! Thank you for the info!

The soles are pretty durable with a good layer of the rubber. I would assume that they'd be okay to trail walk since there are people that hike in them. I normally use them at the beach and occasionally to stores. I've never have any problems with them not being comfortable. They are really good at making sure you have a good gripe. Since you're foot is pretty much free you are able to correct yourself better than in a normal shoe. I prefer them to anything else while climbing over rocks at the beach. It didn't take that much time for me to get used to them since I love toe socks.

I'm glad I'm able to help. They are great shoes yet almost no one has heard of them. On the site you can see some photo's of people using them. I was most impressed with a guy who hikes over the Alps in a pair.....in winter.

I love Tevas. I can hike, canoe, beach, boat, pretty much anything. The soles are thick enough to protect. And, even though pricey, they last forever. My first pair is about 15 years old & still looking good. I wear them all summer, and got my DH a pair with a closed toe for our November cruise. He wears them every weekend.

We always do the aquashoes. But I'm not a big sunbather, I'm in the water to snorkle or play, don't hang on the beach to tan, cause I'm cursed with the worse allergy ever, I get a rash if I get too much sun:mad:

The aquashoes for me, I don't even use the flippers for snorkles, just aquashoes, and the rocky bottom of some beaches don't hurt my feet.

Cheers, Carole

You could get water sandals (in the kayaking section) if you don't want to worry about the fit of water shoes.

Thanks from what I'm reading..maybe my Tevas will work for this too..they are new.. just used them for quick easy fishing here..but wondered on the beach how they would feel and hold on in ocean...love them..worth every penny just walking around this summer..will check out that section..at our sport stores..sjn.

and I am very familiar with "Aqua Shoes" thank you.... they are hot and uncomfortable for me thus my suggestion !

Try a different brand, they are all low priced, and then start wearing them a few days before going on you trip, so your feet get use to them, you can also put an insole liner in them,

the point is you wont burn your feet,

you wont loose your shoes at the beach

you can run if needed

We love them,

Thought this was a formal night question!!!

Swim shoes....absolutely!

We are covering the whole spectrum...:D.

Thanks Brekin67 for the Keen update..I was at a neat Lodge in Washington when some of the top designers were hammering out that shoe...that is what I think may be cool in the sandy water (toe coverage)..if aqua socks just don't work...

i never walk barefoot . there are to many crazy things that can happen . ever since i saw a show about a guy walking the beach in the carribean. he had a microscopic bacteria end up in his foot and spent 7 months in the hospital and lost his leg .

So something happens to one guy and it forces you to do something? Let's see... at the beach, you can inhale some bacteria from beach sand. Did you fly to your destination? Or have you heard about rogue waves? :rolleyes:

IMHO, do what you feel comfortable with. I prefer barefoot on the beach, crocs walking to the beach.

i never walk barefoot . there are to many crazy things that can happen . ever since i saw a show about a guy walking the beach in the carribean. he had a microscopic bacteria end up in his foot and spent 7 months in the hospital and lost his leg .

Yea, if you have an open wound on your foot probably best not to walk barefoot on the beach or anywhere. Also avoid stepping in a pile of dog poo if you see one.

But other than that, I'm pretty sure the probability of losing your foot due to microscopic bacteria picked up by walking barefoot on a beach is microscopic.

Was the bacteria in the sand? I'm pretty sure sand got into your shoe no matter what you are wearing. I'd more more concerned about getting cuts and scrapes from shells and rocks.

I like water shoes if i'm doing some walking in the sand, but if it's just lounging at the shore, then it's flip flops for me.

Archived