Formal or Informal

Jerry and Shelly

I should clarify a point regarding clothing. For many of you, it's a cruise, then fly home. For us it's a cruise, a week in Barcelona, an Easyjet flight to Ireland for another month, and a visit to our daughter who lives in London. I understand and agree with "formal nights", but do I want to pack a tux to be used for only 3 nights of a nearly 2-month trip?

So tell me, if I wear a black suit jacket and gray slacks, tie and solid-color shirt, is there ANY place that we can eat on the ship that will NOT cost us extra? And a buffet is not the option I'm looking for. I like dressing up. I don't like having to lug it all around for two months!

I do agree with what you describe. The only problem is that there are a lot of different kinds of sport coats and we all know where it goes from there. Next it's the horse blanket look and then a sport coat will morph into a windbreaker. LOL I just think that what is described by the people who wrote the code should be respected.

Well, we can only wait and see what happens with the cruise lines. Sorry that the "wrong" kind or color sport coat offends you as being non-conforming. I honestly don't think it is such the big deal as you make it out to be. People dress up for formal night and it may meet their expectations, but clearly not yours. Again, folks, however you feel on this subject, let Celebrity know. We do. We will continue to cruise with Celebrity for the most important reasons, ships, service, cost, and itinerary. If they decide to inform us that our formal night dress is as unacceptable to them as it is to some of the posters on this forum, we will be sure and change. I see nothing wrong with a dark sport coat for men and a sparkly top and dress pants for women.

I should clarify a point regarding clothing. For many of you, it's a cruise, then fly home. For us it's a cruise, a week in Barcelona, an Easyjet flight to Ireland for another month, and a visit to our daughter who lives in London. I understand and agree with "formal nights", but do I want to pack a tux to be used for only 3 nights of a nearly 2-month trip?

So tell me, if I wear a black suit jacket and gray slacks, tie and solid-color shirt, is there ANY place that we can eat on the ship that will NOT cost us extra? And a buffet is not the option I'm looking for. I like dressing up. I don't like having to lug it all around for two months!

Truthfully, you will be allowed into any of the eating venues dressed like that, on any night.

I have to ask you, though, in all seriousness, and with all respect, if you are taking a black suit jacket and gray slacks, why would you not take the black pants from your suit instead of the grey slacks?

You can rent a tux onboard. Order it ahead of time and it will be waiting in your cabin. Just leave it behind when you go. Problem solved.

Well, we can only wait and see what happens with the cruise lines. Sorry that the "wrong" kind or color sport coat offends you as being non-conforming. I honestly don't think it is such the big deal as you make it out to be. People dress up for formal night and it may meet their expectations, but clearly not yours. Again, folks, however you feel on this subject, let Celebrity know. We do. We will continue to cruise with Celebrity for the most important reasons, ships, service, cost, and itinerary. If they decide to inform us that our formal night dress is as unacceptable to them as it is to some of the posters on this forum, we will be sure and change. I see nothing wrong with a dark sport coat for men and a sparkly top and dress pants for women.

What I think is appropriate for formal night has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. I may think dark sport coats are just fine.

The point is that Celebrity has written their dress code and regardless of what you and I or anyone else thinks, it is just common courtesy to do what's requested. If you don't "get" that, I feel sorry for you.

I've had discussions with the Celebrity employees about what they think and they are genuinely dismayed that some people are so rude. As they say, "we don't how much clearer we can make it, but if people show up anyway, we don't particulary think we should have to do battle with them in the dining room". They feel that they try their best to provide an upscale experience in the dining room on formal nights and it's sad that there are always a few who just don't care.

There are some of the Maitre'ds who are more than willing to ask people to leave if they're not dressed appropriately. It just depends who happens to be at the door.

Truthfully, you will be allowed into any of the eating venues dressed like that, on any night.

I have to ask you, though, in all seriousness, and with all respect, if you are taking a black suit jacket and gray slacks, why would you not take the black pants from your suit instead of the grey slacks?

Good question Elena7seas. The suit pants were "destroyed" and trying to find another pair of black pants to exactly match is impossible. So I figured gray would work.

Good question Elena7seas. The suit pants were "destroyed" and trying to find another pair of black pants to exactly match is impossible. So I figured gray would work.

Aha, totally understandable. It is almost impossible to match blacks. You will look great in the black "blazer" and gray slacks.

Funny how on message boards, people feel free to ask such personal questions that they would NEVER ask in person. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to respond kindly.

The biggest argument that I have is with people who never or rarely cruise Celebrity, and insist on providing incorrect information to cruisers who are new to Celebrity.

The least that a new poster deserves is correct information. And it would be nice if all of the replies could also be civil.

I do agree with what you describe. The only problem is that there are a lot of different kinds of sport coats and we all know where it goes from there. Next it's the horse blanket look and then a sport coat will morph into a windbreaker. LOL I just think that what is described by the people who wrote the code should be respected.

Have you any idea how ridiculous that sounds? Although there are a few strict "formal wear defenders" on this board, this kind of inflexibility continues to astound me. It's clear to many of us that Celebrity's current practice indicates they no longer consider the posted dress code to be written in stone. They're moving with the times. Maybe you join them.

If the only alternatives to dining in the MDR on a formal night are (i) to eat in my room or (ii) to eat at the buffet or (iii) to pay more $$ to eat in a restaurant, then they aren't really comparable alternatives, are they? Why should I suffer if I don't fancy dressing up? Bear in mind that there are many many many more reasons to choose/not choose Celebrity than dress code.

I like the idea posted a few pages ago of having one level as formal and another level as casual. That way we can all coexist quite happily.

Have you any idea how ridiculous that sounds? Although there are a few strict "formal wear defenders" on this board, this kind of inflexibility continues to astound me. It's clear to many of us that Celebrity's current practice indicates they no longer consider the posted dress code to be written in stone. They're moving with the times. Maybe you join them.

Let me know what you think after you actually take a cruise on a Celebrity ship.

What I think is appropriate for formal night has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. I may think dark sport coats are just fine.

The point is that Celebrity has written their dress code and regardless of what you and I or anyone else thinks, it is just common courtesy to do what's requested. If you don't "get" that, I feel sorry for you.

I've had discussions with the Celebrity employees about what they think and they are genuinely dismayed that some people are so rude. As they say, "we don't how much clearer we can make it, but if people show up anyway, we don't particulary think we should have to do battle with them in the dining room". They feel that they try their best to provide an upscale experience in the dining room on formal nights and it's sad that there are always a few who just don't care.

There are some of the Maitre'ds who are more than willing to ask people to leave if they're not dressed appropriately. It just depends who happens to be at the door.

Don't feel sorry for me at all. We have had no problems with the 8 weeks of Celebrity cruising we have done in regards to the dress code. I never advocated or have worn jeans, bathing attire, flip flops, etc. into the dining room on any night. If someone showed up at your table on formal night not dressed strictly according to the "guidelines, " would you move or report them to Celebrity? So all Celebrity employees think that people are "so rude" if they wear a dark sport coat and tie and a fancy pant suit and sparkly top on formal night?

If the only alternatives to dining in the MDR on a formal night are (i) to eat in my room or (ii) to eat at the buffet or (iii) to pay more $$ to eat in a restaurant, then they aren't really comparable alternatives, are they? Why should I suffer if I don't fancy dressing up? Bear in mind that there are many many many more reasons to choose/not choose Celebrity than dress code.

I like the idea posted a few pages ago of having one level as formal and another level as casual. That way we can all coexist quite happily.

Amen. I think Celebrity will eventually will come up with an acceptable to all alternative in order to fill their ships.

So tell me, if I wear a black suit jacket and gray slacks, tie and solid-color shirt, is there ANY place that we can eat on the ship that will NOT cost us extra? !

Go ahead and eat in the main dining room. :) In what I have seen on our last 5 cruises, the general appearance is "dressed up" and not all in suits (or tuxes) for sure. A dark jacket with dress pants and tie is acceptable in Celebrity's eyes. Their guidelines obviously aren't written in stone... for themselves either. Thus...the confusion.;)

Your trip sounds wonderful. Enjoy!!

Um...the specialty restaurants follow the same daily guidelines as the Main dining room. Thus formal nights there too.;)

Um...the specialty restaurants follow the same daily guidelines as the Main dining room. Thus formal nights there too.;)

For what it's worth, the FAQ area of the Celebrity website now says that the dress code for the specialty restaurants is smart casual and above every night.

I know, I know. It gets more and more confusing.

Don't feel sorry for me at all. We have had no problems with the 8 weeks of Celebrity cruising we have done in regards to the dress code. I never advocated or have worn jeans, bathing attire, flip flops, etc. into the dining room on any night. If someone showed up at your table on formal night not dressed strictly according to the "guidelines, " would you move or report them to Celebrity? So all Celebrity employees think that people are "so rude" if they wear a dark sport coat and tie and a fancy pant suit and sparkly top on formal night?

You certainly are the master of exaggeration.

BOTH of these responses come up when you research "Dress code specialty restaurant" on the Celebrity website. I just pulled both of these answers from the FAQs (frequently asked questions) minutes ago.

faq_answers_hdr.gif

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

faq_answers_hdr.gif

What is the required dress for Specialty Restaurants?

Subject: Specialty Dining

The dress code in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is smart casual and above for every night of your cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Dontcha love it? :)

it seems to me that alot has changed in the past few years. 3 years ago i was on the horizon. it was the day they were having the formal afternoon tea. i was at the pool all day and had on a long , what i call a SCHMATAH ( a long cover-up over my bathing suit) a lovely woman and i were talking about the tea. she was dressed in a beautiful pantsuit. we went to the tea together, and they refused to seat her because she was in slacks. i was in a bathing suit and coverup the kind you buy on all those caribbean ports. how rediculous. she was so much more well dressed than i. they have such strange rules. i think one of the reasons nowadays for formal night is the revenu it presents for portraits. i don't go to see the captain, don't need the nickel glass of champaigne. don't need my picture taken either. i now bring one black dress, who cares if i'm seen in the same thing twice? i used to say i'll never see any of those people again, but funny thing, i've seen them on quite a few cruises over the past few years. we remembered each other because of good conversations and laughs. not from that same black dress. look forward to seeing some on millenium 1/03/11

Go ahead and eat in the main dining room. :) In what I have seen on our last 5 cruises, the general appearance is "dressed up" and not all in suits (or tuxes) for sure. A dark jacket with dress pants and tie is acceptable in Celebrity's eyes. Their guidelines obviously aren't written in stone... for themselves either. Thus...the confusion.;)

Your trip sounds wonderful. Enjoy!!

Thank you. The original plan was to go to Ireland by plane, but my wife has never been to Barcelona, either, so this just seemed like a great experience, to cruise and then travel by land.

Let me know what you think after you actually take a cruise on a Celebrity ship.

I'm sure you intend that comment as the ultimate put-down but sadly it has failed to meet its mark.

Just as I don't need to be run over by a bus to know to look before crossing the street, I also don't need to have cruised on Celebrity to have knowledge of the current state of dining apparel. This board has no scarcity of comments on the topic from "actual Celebrity cruisers" and I'm fully capable of reading, understanding, and responding to what they've had to say (your implied bias that "not-yet Celebrity cruisers are not entitled to an opinion" not withstanding). Some, such as yourself, would have us believe that virtually everyone "obeys" Celebrity's posted dress code and that the "rude" and "disrespectful" dissenters are but a tiny minority. Others claim they see relatively few tuxes and even fewer dinner jackets and that the majority of passengers simply dress up to some degree on formal night. And I'm sure each person's perception is coloured to some degree by his or her own personal preference.

I will be sure to share my own observations following my upcoming Celebrity cruise but I very much doubt that the first-hand experience will change my personal beliefs on this issue (which is what I assume you are referring to in the above quote). As long as clothing is presentable, what others choose to wear to the dining room is of no concern to me.

Sadly, there are some people in our world who have no consideration for others; and, they are best ignored. Those of us who possess a proper upbringing are pleased to abide by the dress guidelines; and, we do not utilize euphemisms in attempt to disguise our rejection of the utilization of proper manners.

I'm sure you intend that comment as the ultimate put-down but sadly it has failed to meet its mark.

Just as I don't need to be run over by a bus to know to look before crossing the street, I also don't need to have cruised on Celebrity to have knowledge of the current state of dining apparel. This board has no scarcity of comments on the topic from "actual Celebrity cruisers" and I'm fully capable of reading, understanding, and responding to what they've had to say (your implied bias that "not-yet Celebrity cruisers are not entitled to an opinion" not withstanding). Some, such as yourself, would have us believe that virtually everyone "obeys" Celebrity's posted dress code and that the "rude" and "disrespectful" dissenters are but a tiny minority. Others claim they see relatively few tuxes and even fewer dinner jackets and that the majority of passengers simply dress up to some degree on formal night. And I'm sure each person's perception is coloured to some degree by his or her own personal preference.

I will be sure to share my own observations following my upcoming Celebrity cruise but I very much doubt that the first-hand experience will change my personal beliefs on this issue (which is what I assume you are referring to in the above quote). As long as clothing is presentable, what others choose to wear to the dining room is of no concern to me.

Since the Celebrity dress code for formal nights is not limited to tuxes and dinner jackets it's not unusual to see more men in suits. There are even some in sportcoats, but not many.

I can only comment from my own experience and what I see on a regular basis. We don't take 4 or 5 night Carribbean cruises so I don't know if that's what you are reading about, but I still say "most" of the people on Celebrity follow the dress code in the MDR. That's what we are talking about and where it applies.

This is our family on our last cruise which was in May-June for 7 days on Solstice. Most of the people were dressed like this. When we go on longer cruises there are more people wearing tuxes and long gowns.

All I can say is we go on a lot of Celebrity cruises and I think I know what I see with my own eyes.

DSC_0331.jpg.23e304db5fe41b5eaa99e05a0ebc0eb8.jpg

Since Celebrity, in their "allowing" sportscoats and ties into the "formal" night dinners, has blurred even their watered-down version of Formal even more.... who really cares if gentlemen choose the dark sportcoat and tie? It's their general appearance that is most important, don't you agree?

339u3j7.jpg2ecniid.jpg

Yeah that tux is sooooo much more impressive. :cool:

The Celebrity dress code...so easy a Caveman can do it. :D

Archived