Tried a Five Guys - Perish the Thought of Wanting Them on a Carnival Ship

MrPete

Being from west michigan, I had never heard of this restaurant until I went to columbus for training for a new job last fall. I was to share a room with an employee from va that I had never met, so imagine my surprise when I asked the front desk if my roomie had arrived yet and he informed me that she had, but she had run out to get FIVE GUYS burgers & fries!!! I thought she had brought an entourage with her until she came back to the hotel with her big ol' bag of fries!

We had a good laugh, and she shared her fries with me, and I liked those so well that I went the next night and got the meal. To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the burger, but still loved the fries.

I don't think they are over-priced at all when you consider the portion size...a lunch sack full of fries could easily be split between two people!

However, I will have to agree with the others who said why pay for it when there is so much other good food included?!

Boy, I have never seen such a long discussion about one topic. We have 5 Guys in Maryland and we love it. We don't go to burger places alot but when we go, 5 Guys is one of the better places. If you are in Wisconsin, try Culvers.

OK it's going to be a while before I can eat a burger so i have to do this right..we now have established that the runny cheddar is not American Cheese..people seem to feel it is real 100% beef and that the fries are real hand cut ones? Is the beef flame broiled ? Not an absolute for a try..if there are 2 now in NW Montana that I have heard of..and they stay up and running ..well maybe I'll try.

We have established a majority that prefers the good quality..which I have yet to try, burgers on the Lido or close to pool stations..or have we got a 50-50 here...?

I love this thread..it's a good way to get to the food likes and dislikes, and joke around without the way it goes sometimes...

What I like are those old fashioned potato gems french fried really crispy..hard to find anywhere.

I had been to a couple of 5 Guys locations when I've gone back home to VA, and loved it, so when we got one in Fargo, ND I was THRILLED! I love my LBC with everything except jalepenos and a regular cajun fries! But this is Fargo, and there are few other options except for the McDs, BKs, Wendys, so this was a big deal. We kind of get excited about stuff like that. Now, could someone please send us a Sonic?

I had been to a couple of 5 Guys locations when I've gone back home to VA, and loved it, so when we got one in Fargo, ND I was THRILLED! I love my LBC with everything except jalepenos and a regular cajun fries! But this is Fargo, and there are few other options except for the McDs, BKs, Wendys, so this was a big deal. We kind of get excited about stuff like that. Now, could someone please send us a Sonic?

Fargo???..how are you surviving:p...congrats on finding each other...sjn.

Sonic's aren't great by no means but its fun to order from your car and have your food brought out to you by a girl on roller skates......my kids love it! Typical fast food joint. Never heard of a In n Out on the East coast but would love to try one! What i really need in NJ is A " Salem Beerworks" great beer and food!

Fargo???..how are you surviving:p...congrats on finding each other...sjn.

sigh...a little bit every day. I have lived here for almost 12 years now, and I still would happily move back home to Fredericksburg, VA at the earliest opportunity. Can you believe that HE is willing to move here for me? It MUST be love. Really though, Fargo has its positives, weather notwithstanding. The people in this part of the country are awesome, the schools are good, unemployment is low and the cold keeps the riffraff out. And thank you for the congratulations...it's been wonderful so far, even if from afar for now.

Sonic's aren't great by no means but its fun to order from your car and have your food brought out to you by a girl on roller skates......my kids love it! Typical fast food joint.

Yeah, no, I'm not into Sonic for the food necessarily, although I do like their breakfast options...for me, it's all about the drinks. There are Sonics in the Minneapolis area, and any time I make it to the big city I make sure to go get myself a strawberry lime real fruit slush! Good stuff.

OK it's going to be a while before I can eat a burger so i have to do this right..we now have established that the runny cheddar is not American Cheese..people seem to feel it is real 100% beef and that the fries are real hand cut ones? Is the beef flame broiled ? Not an absolute for a try..if there are 2 now in NW Montana that I have heard of..and they stay up and running ..well maybe I'll try.

We have established a majority that prefers the good quality..which I have yet to try, burgers on the Lido or close to pool stations..or have we got a 50-50 here...?

I love this thread..it's a good way to get to the food likes and dislikes, and joke around without the way it goes sometimes...

What I like are those old fashioned potato gems french fried really crispy..hard to find anywhere.

I can tell you for suer our beef is 100% pure beef..up in canada we get our beef shipped from the US every 3 days until we can get a distributor here that meet the standards set out by Five guys.. the flame broiled.. not a chance.. we do ours well done and juicy no salt added at all when cooking..Our fries are cut by our team every morning by poatoes again shipped from idaho in the US eveery 3 days..At our store we ahve yet to get hotdogs since some technical glitch in our food guidlines ( government stuff) that won't allow us to get them up here so we are still looking for a manufacturere to meet the 5 guys standards..

I am just going to add this in... I lost 3 lbs this week and ate the cheese veggie sandwich ( 2 peices of processed cheese and all kinds of fresh cut veggies)..It was the most delicious thing I've ever eaten..I didn't even need the beef patty..

so when it comes to 5 guys or anyother company.. draw your own conclusion either you like or you don't but even if I didn' t work there I like it.. the prices are a bit steep but you pay for what you get.. a good quality product made by a great team of people who love what they do..

I don't get what's the big deal about In and Out. I had my first one in California this summer.....over rated!

We ate at an In and Out in Las Vegas, no big deal :confused: would have been better to put the money in a slot machine and lose..... to each there own..

I can tell you for suer our beef is 100% pure beef..up in canada we get our beef shipped from the US every 3 days until we can get a distributor here that meet the standards set out by Five guys.. the flame broiled.. not a chance.. we do ours well done and juicy no salt added at all when cooking..Our fries are cut by our team every morning by poatoes again shipped from idaho in the US eveery 3 days..At our store we ahve yet to get hotdogs since some technical glitch in our food guidlines ( government stuff) that won't allow us to get them up here so we are still looking for a manufacturere to meet the 5 guys standards..

I am just going to add this in... I lost 3 lbs this week and ate the cheese veggie sandwich ( 2 peices of processed cheese and all kinds of fresh cut veggies)..It was the most delicious thing I've ever eaten..I didn't even need the beef patty..

so when it comes to 5 guys or anyother company.. draw your own conclusion either you like or you don't but even if I didn' t work there I like it.. the prices are a bit steep but you pay for what you get.. a good quality product made by a great team of people who love what they do..

Thank you..I am now going to try..enough options for me!! sjn

We absolutely love 5 Guys here in Orlando. If you want a good, greasy hamburger, it can't be beat! But, we also like Johnny Rockets! However, just because we like these burgers on land does not mean we want or need them on our cruise ship! We are happy with the current buffet offerings on Carnival, however I don't think I've ever had their burger, as there are just too many other offerings of things I cannot get easily at home!

I have had 5 guys and they are OK

McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's are all crap as far as I am concerned. Either one of the 3 give me "Ronald's Revenge" as one poster beautifully put it.

In my travels I have had

In and Out Burger (I must say was execllent)

Carl's Jr. (MEH) Not the greatest but hardly the worst

Years and years ago we had a Hardees here and they terrific. I know they still have them around (a lot down south I believe) I don't know how they are now.

Soon we will be getting a Sonic here . You can't believe the Bally Hoo they are making out of this here . Mind you this is Fairfield County Ct. A pretty developed area we have everything here so why the big to do over a fast food place.

Ironically this Sonic is going to be built on the site of the first Krispy Kreme in CT which was the biggest thing since sliced bread 7 years ago . People stood in line three hours to get in on their Grand Opening Weekend . Now the place is dead and gone and will be a Sonic. Lets see how long this love affair lasts :)

Ok .. I'm a 5 guy employee but would like to try a in and out burger just for the sake of saying I did.. Is there one near the airport in Maimi FL?

I all ready know what McDonald's is like as managaged a patch of them. I also know what Bk and Wendys as well as Red Robins and johnny rockets taste like.. I've even tried white castle now I'd like to try an in and out burger.. and what the heck is a slider?

Ok .. I'm a 5 guy employee but would like to try a in and out burger just for the sake of saying I did.. Is there one near the airport in Maimi FL?

I all ready know what McDonald's is like as managaged a patch of them. I also know what Bk and Wendys as well as Red Robins and johnny rockets taste like.. I've even tried white castle now I'd like to try an in and out burger.. and what the heck is a slider?

If you had White Castle you had a slider....slides right through ya! :p

~Regina

hahaha ROFLMAO...Is that what they call those square things.. hahahahaha holding my belly hahahah TOOO funny

Yup, we have them on every corner here in Indiana. We also have Five Guys...my health can only afford to eat that though maybe twice a year.

I've never had In and Out though....I'm originally from Texas and miss Whataburger....but what are ya gonna do.

Too many burgers to choose from!

~Regina

Zagat was just on, announcing the top 5 Burgers.

And they are, surprisingly....

5. McDonalds

4. Burger King

3. Wendy's

2. In-and-Out

1. FIVE Brothers! :eek:

OMG:D:p:D.

Best family friends brought the Wendy's franchise to this state...folks were a bit miffed at one dinner they had the family to..190 mile round trip drive to their home..Wendy's all around in their new home dining room...a joke for this familes and ours..for years..they are failing..I have a not fun 3 hr drive ahead..sjn.

There are several Wendy's in Bozeman area..I'll have to try one again..down the line..can not even remember the taste..sjn...I think peppery maybe in the meat..sjn.

OMG:D:p:D.

Best family friends brought the Wendy's franchise to this state...folks were a bit miffed at one dinner they had the family to..80 mile round trip drive to their home..Wendy's all around in their new home dining room...a joke for this familes and ours..for years..they are failing..I have a not fun 3 hr drive ahead..sjn.

That is so funny... that happened to us too... we laughed so hard we fell out of our chairs... can't believe it... who else would have known!?!

I have had 5 guys and they are OK

McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's are all crap as far as I am concerned. Either one of the 3 give me "Ronald's Revenge" as one poster beautifully put it.

In my travels I have had

In and Out Burger (I must say was execllent)

Carl's Jr. (MEH) Not the greatest but hardly the worst

Years and years ago we had a Hardees here and they terrific. I know they still have them around (a lot down south I believe) I don't know how they are now.

Soon we will be getting a Sonic here . You can't believe the Bally Hoo they are making out of this here . Mind you this is Fairfield County Ct. A pretty developed area we have everything here so why the big to do over a fast food place.

Ironically this Sonic is going to be built on the site of the first Krispy Kreme in CT which was the biggest thing since sliced bread 7 years ago . People stood in line three hours to get in on their Grand Opening Weekend . Now the place is dead and gone and will be a Sonic. Lets see how long this love affair lasts :)

Same song second verse on the lines for Krispy Kreme's in PDX area a few years back...can not even let myself smell one of those hot fresh doughnuts...loved them..but oh man..the plain glazed!!! Are all of them gone now??

That is so funny... that happened to us too... we laughed so hard we fell out of our chairs... can't believe it... who else would have known!?!

What area..this was the 70's for us..kids manage the Franchise here now..I LOVE this family..but the gag gifts..and they were never the cowboy/outdoorsy that my dad and some siblings are...the He__ the patriarch put up with on the old camping year's..and his son even I could out fish...I am more of a city girl too.

Archived