To Stanj-Taking food off the ship?

DON M.

First of all I want to thank you for all of the incredible information you have taken the time to give about St.Pete.

We are booked with Denrus in July and Iam reading mixed statements about bringing lunches off the ship. I even think some people believe they will be imprisoned. I can see the headlines in the L.A. Times now "Don and his wife are in Siberia for taking 4 tuna sandwiches off a cruise ship".

In all seriousness, can you shed some light on this topic. Could there be a problem at customs. Since Denrus is saying it would be find to do, I see no reason to have concerns.

Hi Don

I really do not know whether customs would bother someone taking food from the ship but my experience with train, car, bus and air arrival into Russia and dealing with customs. Quite often I brought food with me because I like to eat enroute. The frist time I asked the customs officer thinking there might be a problem because Russia is dependent on their internal ag industry and bringing in fruit or vegetable haboring pests would be a concern for them. It wasn't.

Customs in general is easier to pass through in Russia than just about anywhere. Carrying valuable gifts, personal items and even commercial samples, plus $5,000-$10,000 in cash always resulted in being waved through after the agent glanced at my declaration, with bored comment "go through Green line next time" For the last ten or more entries, no matter what I am carrying, I simply go through the Green Line and don't even fill out a customs declaration form and struggle with my 100-200lbs of baggage through the Green Line.

I recommended another poster ask Den Rus or their prefered tour for their policy because it is not a Russian customs issue. Some tour companies would want to sell their own food but I've noticed Den Rus does not care to nickle and dime their customers with add-ons or steer them to certain stores or restaurants.

That being said, I could not imagine going somewhere where food is such an important part of the culture and not sample the national cuisine. Maybe it is just me but I have no interest in American food when in France, Russia, Italy, or any of the other dozens of countries I have visited. Part of learning and experiencing another culture is learning its food, flavors and smells.

Good eating

Stan

Stan,

What are some of your favorite restaurants there? DenRus has sent us a list of some options, and of course there are all the various tour book recommendations, but those tend to get outdated quickly. So, from firsthand experience, any favorites? Also, we will have our kids with us (10 & 12). They are good eaters (Armenian background), so they do not just look for pizza and McDonalds, but something fun?

Thanks.

Hi Don

I really do not know whether customs would bother someone taking food from the ship but my experience with train, car, bus and air arrival into Russia and dealing with customs. Quite often I brought food with me because I like to eat enroute. The frist time I asked the customs officer thinking there might be a problem because Russia is dependent on their internal ag industry and bringing in fruit or vegetable haboring pests would be a concern for them. It wasn't.

Customs in general is easier to pass through in Russia than just about anywhere. Carrying valuable gifts, personal items and even commercial samples, plus $5,000-$10,000 in cash always resulted in being waved through after the agent glanced at my declaration, with bored comment "go through Green line next time" For the last ten or more entries, no matter what I am carrying, I simply go through the Green Line and don't even fill out a customs declaration form and struggle with my 100-200lbs of baggage through the Green Line.

I recommended another poster ask Den Rus or their prefered tour for their policy because it is not a Russian customs issue. Some tour companies would want to sell their own food but I've noticed Den Rus does not care to nickle and dime their customers with add-ons or steer them to certain stores or restaurants.

That being said, I could not imagine going somewhere where food is such an important part of the culture and not sample the national cuisine. Maybe it is just me but I have no interest in American food when in France, Russia, Italy, or any of the other dozens of countries I have visited. Part of learning and experiencing another culture is learning its food, flavors and smells.

Good eating

Stan

Thanks for the info. You are right about foreign food experiences. Unfortunetely, you are not talking to "normal" people when it comes to food. My wife is a vegetarian and me, well lets just say very picky without much interest in trying "new foods", sad but true. We have traveled all over the world and I have alot of photos of us in front of Hard Rock cafes

Unless lunch with a Russian family would include a Big Mac and a salad we would definetly embarass ourselves.

I think the more important factor, is that 1 hour or so at a rest. or home, when time is so important to see all Ive been reading about (2 days) will take away from time elsewhere i.e. more time at Hermitage, boat ride etc.

My father was born in Odessa so even though its 95 years later, this part of the cruise has a special meaning. I never thought I would be visiting some day the country he was born in.

I assume that the worst Russian customs would do is confiscate fresh food, not ship you to a Gulag. If, despite assurances from DenRus, you are concerned you will be prevented from taking the food from your cruise ship into Russia, there is another approach. On previous vacations when we were on our own, we packed some of the prepackaged meals (tuna "kits" that are pre-mixed with relish and include crackers, boxed meals mostly intended for kids lunches, etc.) to save time and money. Since these are in store bought packages they are even more likely to be allowed wherever you travel.

What we intend to do is find a grocery store or market and buy bread, cavair, smoked salmon and a bottle of wine and find a great little park to sit in and enjoy!

p.s. I'm sure I'll smuggle off some cookies from the ship

That also is an option I was thinking about to.

Stan,

What are some of your favorite restaurants there? DenRus has sent us a list of some options, and of course there are all the various tour book recommendations, but those tend to get outdated quickly. So, from firsthand experience, any favorites? Also, we will have our kids with us (10 & 12). They are good eaters (Armenian background), so they do not just look for pizza and McDonalds, but something fun?

Thanks.

I have many "favorites" depending on the mood and cuisine desired. Kid seem to like a lot of Russian food so forget the McDonalds if you can and head over to Bliny Dalt, a Russian version of Mc Donald's is layout but serving very cheap Russian fast food. The items they might like are: Pelmeny, a Siberian sort of ravioli that kids love...like how American kids love Maccorni and Cheese, and bliny with meat. Price for Student Special =$1 including drink. Pretty basic stuff however but kids love this place.

Bliny ( a very thin buckwheat pancake) stuffed with meat, cheese and musrooms and almost anything and wrapped like a crepe, is also available at street corner kiosks, the best being a chain called "Temorke" that is really good and made to order. One is located on Italianskaya Street near the mali Sadovaya pedestrian street across the street from the famous Catherine the Great monument. Sitting in the little park a few paces from the Bliny stand near the floor gardens and center fountain would be a good a great place to relax in the sun and have a tasty meal for about $2 ea.

Another favorite restaurant with rea Russian food is Elki Paulki, a bit south of Fontanka canal. It is decorated like a small Russian farm village and has good service, low prices and fresh food in a cute interior.

Try El Patio or La Strada for good wood oven fired pizzas if that is more what you had in mind.

Out of the center are a couple of unusually good You-catch-'em fish restaurants that are fun but also offering the best fresh water fish in the city and prices higher than expected. If interested I can send along the addresses.

If they really MUST have a burger, the best in Russia is at City Bar not far from the Hermitage at 10 Millionaya Street.

Of course there is a very popular reopended Subway sandwich shop at about 18-20 Nevsky Prospekt.

For a real dinner of real Russian food see my posts from about 6-7 weeks ago about restaurants. There was a very long running thread about food and restaurants.

All the guide books I've seen are terribly out of date concerning restaurants with new restaurants and cafes opening daily featuring every style and price range you can imagine from every cultural imaginable. St Petersburg dating back from the period that Peter the Great brought the best chefs from Paris and other European grastronomy centers, has been known for great food.

I really don't think taking food off the ship and being allowed to bring it ashore has anything to do with the quantity (i.e., bringing enough to feed the Driver and Guide). :rolleyes:

I believe that Ilya just mentioned this to hint that one may forget Our Hosts. As a matter of simple courteousy, I would not think of eating in front of anyone without having enough to offer them the same. ;)

However, some people need a reminder - they just do not THINK. :eek:

When we are eating in the Van, then, of course, we shall bring Lunches for Our Guide and Driver.

It should also prove interesting to them to sample our Horizon Buffet cuisine, right, Stan??? :cool:

Stan,

You mentioned on another thread (or was it this one) about the mayonnaise. It is the EGGS that turn the mayonnaise deadly when used in salads and sandwiches. :eek:

Perhaps the Russian Mayonnaise is made differently. Also, green beans are also to be avoided at buffets, because of contamination danger. I don't know the reason for the green beans deal; :confused:

however, frequently the buffets are not maintained at either the very hot, nor the very cold temperatures demanded by the CDC (Centre for Disease Control). :o

This is one of the main reasons that Ships get dinged by the CDC on their Inspections. :rolleyes:

Great information on places for Cheap Eats. :D

I know this must be good food if recommended by The Stan. ;)

I may just leave the food in the Buffet Line and try one of these neat-sounding places. :rolleyes:

After all, it's part of the Culture we are trying to soak up. :cool:

Great information on places for Cheap Eats. :D

I know this must be good food if recommended by The Stan. ;)

The only one I would not dare classify as "great" is Blin! Donalt. It is fast, it is cheap and it is fun but certainly not great. There are SO many places that would be interesting places to absorb the culture that it is hard to even think of the best choice. I really like the idea of lunch with a family because it is the best connection to the facinating and otherwise isolated culture just on the other side of the van glass windows and outside the museums and palaces. Some people might think it is corny or not hip to get excited over a home cooked meal but it likely is your only real opportunity to interact with the real cultural and it is always a very pleasant surprise for first time visitors.

Eggs are part of the spoilage but for some reason the way they are processed there is some natural preservitive coming into play. I'll have to ask my chef friends for the official explanation.

Some one mentioned they were traveling with a vegetarian and another commented about feeding a diabetic. Both these are easily taken care of with minor advanced notice because some restaurants have specific menu items or ability to handle special diets. The number of mid and high end vegetarian restaurants grows every year but the most popular is "The Idiot" but the many Indian cuisine restaurants are not far behind in popularity. I have a few friends who own 2 Indian restaurants, one near the Gulf and the other a copy of their London based "Three Monkeys" restaurant which just opened last fall near Sadovaya Metro station on the canal. Their vegetarian lunch special is a buffet for 150 Rubles ($4.50). If you go there try their Indian beer, Cobra, which is first rate. If you are really into beer go to Tinkov Brewery Cafe, an up scale trendy restaurant near St Isaac Cathedral. They brew na unfiltered beer (Russian word: Piva) that is great, light and clean tasting which is saying something for a non-beer fan like me. It is also available on tap in some cafes but the bottled version is not as good.

I may just leave the food in the Buffet Line and try one of these neat-sounding places. :rolleyes:

After all, it's part of the Culture we are trying to soak up. :cool:

This is the whole reason for coming so fat in my opinion and leaves the most satisfactory memories.

As far as eating in the van is an option consider asking your driver or guide to help you shop and as a group create a lunch of Russian snacks which are perfect finger food. Zakuski is the Russian word for hors d'oeuvres and they are often eaten immediately after downing a shot of vodka in unison but they don't have to be. Small pieces of bread with butter, red caviar, bliny, pickles, slices of smoked salom, salted fish, assorted bite sized meat rolls or salads on crackers or bread. To me this is the most social food there is and it always results in good times and warm relations with whom you share Zakuski. Red caviar is not expensive at all and is often used in snacks, on bread or crackers like we used dip with chips, as a filler before the main course. These foods are surprisingly filling however and if everyone in the van chips in $5 each you can have a deluxe genuine Russian party on the way to Peterhof or in a park. If in the summer, a hit for all would be to stop at a cooking pit and prepare Shashlk. That is Russian kabobs and is a passion in the same way chilli is for football season is in the USA. It can be had on sticks as a take-away from small shops or any cafe, but it is best when cooked out of doors in a park or woods.

I hired a driver with a Volga car one time years ago to pick me up at the airport. He spoke little English I am I spoke even less Russian but somehow he understood I was want to go to a restaurant before going to my apartment. That gave him a chance to brag a little and described how he was the best Shasklk cook in St Petersburg...a common boast. I tended to think "sure, sure, now lets go find some food". We exchanged the limited words we had but I understood him to say that he was offering cook out at his dacha if I bought the ingrdients. I gave him a $20 bill and we made plans to go out to the woods in a few days for the great cook-off. I invited several friends and we all ended up at the neat little house in the woods near a beautiful lake. He brought his specially built charcoal shashlyk barbaque and a large tub of marinading lamb chunks, mushroom, bell peppers, onions, and garlic in some sort of oily broth. Whatever else was in it he would not divulge. While he got ready for his secret preparation the rest of us went swimming in the lake. When he was ready he offered me a bet, it it was not the best shashlyk I had ever eaten he would give me back my $20....I ended up tipping him another $20. We eat 10 lbs of this stuff and were begging for more despite bulging and about to burst stomachs.

The tour companies ought to have someting like a day at a nice country dacha, with berry collecting, home cooking, and great talk all without electricity in most cases. the high light could be taking a Russian Banya, the famous wood fired wet sauna. It is the real essence of Russia past and present. The rituals and traditions attached it are as interesting as the feeling of euphoria that results. Highly recommended.

Have a great visit

Stan,

Thanks so much for the restaurant ideas. Recommendations from someone who is actually there are always the most appreciated. We are really looking forward to seeing all the changes there since the "Soviet" days when we were last in "Leningrad". I remember how impressive the city was back then, and am anxious for our kids to see it also. We were in Armenia just a few years ago, but did not have time to get to Russia on that trip. I will check the other thread on restaurants that you mentioned also.

Thanks again!

Archived