Venice hotel

BZEKE

Please let us know what you think about the Bauer. We are booked on a transatlantic next Oct. and are also staying at Bower through HAL. Like you the bit extra we're paying is for comfort level. This is our first cruise that does not start and end in US so we'll see how it goes and perhaps next time we'll do hotel on our own. Thanks.

I will most likely post some thoughts on the cruise and will include an impression of the Bauer as well.

Thinking of taking a cruse out of Venice next year. Does anyone have a good hotel to recommend? One that is easy to transfer from airport and then on to the pier.

Thanks

HAL utilizes the following hotels in Venice as part of their Pre & Post Hotel Package:

1. (Deluxe) Bauer Hotel

2. (First-Class) Hotel Bonvecchiati

3. (Airport) Laguna Palace

Tks for the reassurance re the luggage issue.

HAL only offers two choices---one was a budget hotel on a backwater canal and the other was the Bauer on the Grand Canal----a no brainer choice. I know we could have done it less expensively on our own but when we are in an unfamiliar area there is a certain comfort level in taking the transfers----- and you can only take the transfers if you let HAL book your hotel.

This will be our second time in Venice---the last was on a bus tour many years ago. I only know I didn't get enough of it on the first visit. I could--and will---walk for hours.

Actually, HAL offers three choices, including the Laguna Palace at the airport!;) Is the "budget hotel on a backwater canal" to which you have referred the (First Class) Hotel Bonvecchiati?;)

None of the hotels in Venice are easily accessible, IMHO. I agree with the suggestion to stay near a Vaporetto dock if possible. Otherwise, crawling over a lot of bridges with luggage in tow is probably in your future. I also heard of so many people staying at smaller hotels on back canals, which I'm sure are very nice, but I can't imagine crawling out of a boat, through a window with luggage to get to my hotel!

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco Grand Canal - 1min walk from St. Mark's, and about a 3min walk from both an Alilaguna and Vaporetto dock. The hotel is older (but aren't they all?) and has comfortable, nice rooms and an included continental breakfast on the terrace overlooking the canal. Our room was on the Grand Canal and we could watch the cruise ships coming and going, even the Nieuw Amsterdam on her first arrival in Venice. Would definitely stay there again.

We stayed here for two days prior to our cruise and the place is wonderful. The staff is so helpful and please ask them for their suggestions for places to eat. They sent us to a wonderful place where the locals eat on a beautiful little piazza and the food was out of this world. They will get you early tickets for excursions in Venice, they got us tickets for The Doge Secret Tour and it was wonderful to walk up and see all those people in line and realize they were waiting to buy the tickts we had already in our hands thanks to the Hotel staff. You'll never go wrong staying there. Would recommend it 100%.

Actually, HAL offers three choices, including the Laguna Palace at the airport!;) Is the "budget hotel on a backwater canal" to which you have referred the (First Class) Hotel Bonvecchiati?;)

I was not using the term "budget" in a derogatory manner---simply that the other hotel was several hundred dollars a night cheaper than the Bauer----hence, budget in relative terms. It was way last April when we were given our hotel choices by our TA so I really don't remember the name of the other hotel. I just googled it, rejected it and forgot about it.

It may well be that she didn't present us with the third choice of an airport hotel because she would have known that we wanted to be where the action is, so to speak.

We really enjoyed our 3 night stay at Hotel Locanda Vivaldi before embarking on an Oosterdam Med cruise. It is at the San Zeccharia vaporetto stop overlooking the Grand Canal, only a minute's walk to San Marco. Lovely rooftop garden and restuarant, breakfast included and if you're interested in music, Vivaldi actually lived there...La Pieta is next door.

Archived