go or stay on ship?

cmahm

i have read soooo many bad reviews about this island. very few were good. do i want to just want to stay on the ship that day? is there any place safe to walk to or do you need to do a tour???

Don't stay on the ship this island is great but I need to know what you like to make any recommendations. There is snorkeling in champaign bubbles, River Tubing, swimming in Waterfalls. Hiking to waterfalls and boiling lakes, Kayaking, warm Mud baths, floating through the gorge that Pirates of the Caribbean was shot in, there is a Carib indian village you can visit. I mean you want to talk about an island where there is a TON to do. and if you pick all the stuff in the same area like Emerald Pool, Mr Nices Fruit stand and a few other things you can do it for $30pp add tubing and it goes to a MAX of $50 but there are better deals if you look. If all you want to do is shop for jewlery and look around town then yes stay on the ship the only thing where you park is a straw market which is the same as any other.

What do you like to do? I have been to Dominica twice and will be returning a third time in January. I am looking forward to going back to this prot more than any of the others!

The first time we went to Dominica, we got a taxi driver and had a tour of the island. We went to the Emerald Pool, then to Champagne reef for snorkeling. Incredible!

The second time we went with a company called Antours. We went to Emerald pool again, Mr. Nice's fruit stand, River tubing down the Laylou river, then to a black-sand beach. It was one of the best excursions I have had on any of the many cruises that I have been on.

In January, we will be touring with Levi Baron of Bumpiing tours and are really looking forward to it! Lots of information is available on the Dominica board. Read and research and GO! I don't think that you will regret it!

PP is right. If you like to shop, stay on the ship. You really have to be a nature-lover to appreciate this island. I would not recommend walking through town. It is not at all very tourist-friendly.

I can't believe there are any bad reviews of this island! They must have come from people that just walked around town. The island is truly amazing and NOT at all like any other I have been on. I was just there in April and already booked another cruise with this port so that I can go back in November. Levi with Bumpiing is the best!!!! Have fun and rest on another stop because this one is not to be missed! Heather :-)

thanks everyone!!!! we are leaving on the victory ship on 10/31. it has 7 ports in 7 days.....(san jaun, st thomas, dominica, barbados, st lucia, st kitts, and st maarten!!!!). we will be broke if we do and excursion at every port. what port do you think we could explore on our own for pretty cheap and safe? if we should't miss dominica.......is there a port we should skip???

id say do an excursion on dominica and st lucia and all the rest you can go to the beach. these 2 islands have alot more to see besides beaches.

im going on the carnival victory oct 17 - 24 and have now got 4 excusions when i was only looking to do 1. also bear in mind that even when not on an excursion you'll be spending money on taxis and drinks so sometimes the tours can work out good value. st martin and barbados have beaches you can walk to. i think in st kitts and st thomas you'll need a taxi.

also, book independantly and not thru the ship to save money. :)

i'm glad to hear that st maarten is easy to get to a beach. i was planning oh going horseback riding that day but it's only fot 2 hrs. now we can just hang out at the beach afterwards. as for st lucia.....we were looking into deepsea fishing thru shoretrips. it's only $99 pp for 4 hrs. the only thing i need to look into is it starts at 8:15. i don't know if we will be off the ship in time. i know i will end up doing something at each port. i just hate the idea that between excursions and aloc they will cost more then the cruise itself....... we went on the disney wonder2x and sensation 1x. we were so unhappy with carnival that we said we would never use them again. but the victory was a good deal with great ports that we are going to give it a try again. plus nothing can compare to disney so i'll have to get over that.

i have read soooo many bad reviews about this island. very few were good. do i want to just want to stay on the ship that day? is there any place safe to walk to or do you need to do a tour???

Like the other posters, I haven't seen negative reviews of Dominica. Could it be that you are confusing it with Dominican Republic? (Still a nice place to visit, but very different from Dominica!)

i'm glad to hear that st maarten is easy to get to a beach. i was planning oh going horseback riding that day but it's only fot 2 hrs. now we can just hang out at the beach afterwards. as for st lucia.....we were looking into deepsea fishing thru shoretrips. it's only $99 pp for 4 hrs. the only thing i need to look into is it starts at 8:15. i don't know if we will be off the ship in time. i know i will end up doing something at each port. i just hate the idea that between excursions and aloc they will cost more then the cruise itself....... we went on the disney wonder2x and sensation 1x. we were so unhappy with carnival that we said we would never use them again. but the victory was a good deal with great ports that we are going to give it a try again. plus nothing can compare to disney so i'll have to get over that.

Sorry to here that you had a bad experience with CCL.... The cruise that you've picked isn't so much about the ship or even the cruise line, its the islands.... We did this itenairy on the Destiny when she was ported in San Juan....

You really don't want to miss Dominica.... This is the way the Caribbean islands looked before Diamonds International, Carlos and Charlies, ect. planted their establishments everywhere.... Which ever tour you choose, there are many reliable tour operators mentioned, look out the windows of your vehicle wherever you head.... You may not be able to see an island this pristine again.... Dominica will not be the richest island nation that you visit on your cruise but it will offer you visions of the "real" Caribbean that maybe priceless in the future...

Have a great cruise,

Joey & Pat

I agree - book excursions on Dominica and St. Lucia. All the other islands you can do on your own for $25/pp or less if you're trying to keep your budget down. Eat a big breakfast and go off with some packaged snacks and you should be good until you get back to the ship again - no need to buy expensive food off the ship if you plan it right. In the hot Caribbean you will likely be ready to come back to the ship well before the sailing time. With 7 ports in 7 days you will be exhausted if you go off the ship all day everyday. Experience each of the ports, but don't overdo it.

St. Martin - walk to Philipsburg (15 minutes) or buy an all day water taxi wristband for $6. There are "deals" on the beach to rent chairs and umbrellas - the further away from the dock you go the better. You can find beer for $1/can. Downtown shopping is right at your fingertips. Or share a cab to Orient Beach for the day.

St. Thomas - just hop on a safari taxi and go to one of the beaches or look for the tour companies that charge $25 to take you shopping, sightseeing, and to the beach.

Barbados - a lot of folks go to the Boatyard - short cab ride and $10 entrance fee

San Juan - free trolley around Old San Juan - check out El Morro or the other fort - shop - have a drink - walk back through the old streets to the ship.

St. Lucia - I can understand wanting to go deep sea fishing, but St. Lucia is such a beautiful island that it's a shame to miss it. Is the fishing offered anywhere else?

st lucia was the only island with affordable fishing. orig we wanted to go on the prirate ship that day but, it's not offered when we are going. if we don't fish what would you recommend?........here's what we were thinking so far.......st thomas, tour with beach and shopping. dominica, was a ship day..now not sure. st lucia,fishing? barbados, catarmaran snorkel with green turtles. st kitt, beach day. st maarten, horse back riding(only 2 hrs) then shop/beach rest of day. san juan.....we have time to kill before our flight so maybe a tour or hang out.:confused::D:rolleyes::confused:

st lucia was the only island with affordable fishing. orig we wanted to go on the prirate ship that day but, it's not offered when we are going. if we don't fish what would you recommend?........here's what we were thinking so far.......st thomas, tour with beach and shopping. dominica, was a ship day..now not sure. st lucia,fishing? barbados, catarmaran snorkel with green turtles. st kitt, beach day. st maarten, horse back riding(only 2 hrs) then shop/beach rest of day. san juan.....we have time to kill before our flight so maybe a tour or hang out.:confused::D:rolleyes::confused:

Personally, I would skip St. Thomas if you want a ship day. It has a lot to offer, but the other islands are so much nicer. You can always walk off the ship there and shop right at the pier. I don't know about St. Kitts, yet. I will go there in January. IMHO you should absolutely NOT skip Dominica! I also wouldn't pass up Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Martin. Lucky you that you have to chose between such fabulous ports!

I think your plan sounds great.:) how long is the fishing for?

just dont skip dominica, the tours are not that long just 3 - 4 hrs for some of them.

dont skip any island! if you want more time on the ship, then go back early afternoon.

In a heartbeat I'd trade horseback riding in St. Martin for Levi's Roseau Valley Tour in Dominica. This includes Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls, a quick stop at the hot springs, a drive through the Botanical Gardens, a stop at Morne Bruce overlook, and snorkeling at Champagne Reef for about $47. You can do the beach and shopping in St. Martin for little or no money or spend a little more and go to Orient Beach.

If you have to skip an island, skip st. Kitt's, not Dominca. We LOVED Dominica. My kids did the Wacky Rollers Adventure which was zip lining and a course of sorts through the rain forest. They had a blast, but said it really was difficult, so only do it if you are in good shape. My husband and I did a customized tour with Reyno. His guide was wonderful. We went to trafalger falls (pretty difficult, but beautiful) sulphur spas and black sand beach. It was a bit pricey since it was just 4 of us ($60.00 pp) but it was worth it. We couldn't do an excursion each day either. Just with taxi's for 6 we spent a fortune!

People who dislike Dominica didn't take time to do any research of the island and went there expecting touristy gift shops and crowded resort beaches. Dominica is a volcanic rain forest island. It has amazing waterfalls, incredible hiking trails, black sand beaches, breath-taking views. Much of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" was filmed on the island.

I highly recommend Bumpiing Tours. VERY reasonably priced and a day you will never forget.

Dominica is one of my two FAVORITE islands in the Caribbean. It's so different from anything we see on a day-to-day basis. GO!! ENJOY!!

Personally, I would skip St. Thomas if you want a ship day. It has a lot to offer, but the other islands are so much nicer. You can always walk off the ship there and shop right at the pier. I don't know about St. Kitts, yet. I will go there in January. IMHO you should absolutely NOT skip Dominica! I also wouldn't pass up Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Martin. Lucky you that you have to chose between such fabulous ports!

My second favorite island in the Caribbean (so far) is St. John, which you get to by ferry from St. Thomas. Next time you're on a cruise that goes to St. Thomas, ferry on over to St. John. You won't be disappointed.

Dominica is one of my favorite islands. St. Lucia is probably tied for first with Dominica.

Both are beautiful lush islands and you won't regret getting off the ship.

Like the other posters have indicated, Dominica is not for shopping.

On Dominica, I toured with Beno. I will be back there in January 2011 and plan on going with him again.

On St. Lucia, I toured with Spencer Ambrose - the West Island tour that took us to the Pitons and Jalousie beach - absolutely beautiful.

Good luck making your decisions - if I was to stay on the ship it would probably be St. Thomas and maybe St. Kitts.

My second favorite island in the Caribbean (so far) is St. John, which you get to by ferry from St. Thomas. Next time you're on a cruise that goes to St. Thomas, ferry on over to St. John. You won't be disappointed.

I agree. I have been to St. John 4 times. However, the OP states that they are trying to save money. It can be pricey to get over to St. John, even on your own. You have to pay for a cab to and from Red Hook, the ferry both ways to and from Cruz Bay, then taxis to and from the beach in St. John. It can really add up. It is a great trip, but many are hesitant to try it on their own.

Im taking a ferry over to tortola to swim with dolphins. i booked on my own as it wasnt advertised on the ships shore excursions, but now it has been added. my ferry goes there and back befor/ after the ships advertised excursion times, so i will have longer in tortola, but not much time at all in st thomas. I get back to st thomas at 3.20, do you think the shops are still open to buy souveneirs?

Archived