6 weeks till cruise, want confirmation of my choice!

cruisegirl36

So I got bashed on the Carnival theard for asking about good excursions for our newly pregnant friend going with us... I have thought about getting a taxi to Royal Palm and spending the day at the beach. I was really wanting something where we wouldnt have to worry about how much were going to spend all, maybe an all inclusive. Everyone has said how expensive Grand Cayman can be. Any ideas??? No stingray excursions and remember our friend is pregnant

What do you consider expensive?

Bring beach towels, rent a car for under $50, head to a restaurant (ask for recommendations at the rental counter) or a Kirks or Fosters grocery store and grab some take away, beverages, snacks, ice and a cheap styrofoam cooler. Stop a a liquor store if you want adult beverages. Head to Smith Cove or Governor's Beach (beside the Westin), as they have tables and enjoy a picnic lunch and the day at the beach. Could also just use the Westin's bar and restaurant if you go to Governor's beach, but probably wouldn't be much less $$ than at Royal Palms or Seagrape.

If you want to explore you have the car to visit the botanical gardens, turtle farm or other area of interest.

You can walk a couple of blocks and take public transportation for a couple of bucks. We did Cemetary Beach our last visit. No amenities, just sand, a few trees for shade and maybe 30 people. When you want to return to the ship, walk out to the road. When a van honks just wave and they will pick you up. Great way to travel.

A beach day will be relaxing and it is easy to see more of the island by taxi if you want to do that along with the beach.

We paid $20.00pp to go to Hell, the rumcake outlet, and the dolphin park (free to just watch the dolphins) and then hung out at 7 mile beach for the remainder of the afternoon before heading back to do a little shopping and to get back on the ship. I know the rumcake outlet may not be fun for your pregnant friend since she can't sample the rum, but a taxi can stop somewhere else instead if you want to do a similar tour before hitting the beach.

We just ate a big breakfast and took store bought trail mix packages with us to snack on with bottled water. This tided us over until we were able to eat a late lunch on the ship, so didn't have to worry about eating at a pricey restaurant.

Enjoy your trip!

A beach day will be relaxing and it is easy to see more of the island by taxi if you want to do that along with the beach.

We paid $20.00pp to go to Hell, the rumcake outlet, and the dolphin park (free to just watch the dolphins) and then hung out at 7 mile beach for the remainder of the afternoon before heading back to do a little shopping and to get back on the ship. I know the rumcake outlet may not be fun for your pregnant friend since she can't sample the rum, but a taxi can stop somewhere else instead if you want to do a similar tour before hitting the beach.

We just ate a big breakfast and took store bought trail mix packages with us to snack on with bottled water. This tided us over until we were able to eat a late lunch on the ship, so didn't have to worry about eating at a pricey restaurant.

Enjoy your trip!

I was thinking of getting a taxi to take us on our own little island tour... How do you do this? Will they be at the port offering? Do they just wait for you a each stop or do you get a different taxi each time?

I was thinking of getting a taxi to take us on our own little island tour... How do you do this? Will they be at the port offering? Do they just wait for you a each stop or do you get a different taxi each time?

When you get off at the port, there will be taxi drivers EVERYWHERE offering to take you around. Your party can just talk with one of the drivers, agree on a price and they will take you around the island. The driver will wait for you at each spot. (We hung out at each place for like 20-30 minutes).

7 mile was our last stop, and since we stayed at 7 mile beach for a couple of hours, we actually had to get another driver to take us back ($5) because our original driver didn't want to wait for 2 hours at 7 mile. It wasn't a problem, because be taxis were waiting in the parking lots at all major spots along 7 mile, so you just can just hop in a cab when you are ready to go back.

When you get off at the port, there will be taxi drivers EVERYWHERE offering to take you around. Your party can just talk with one of the drivers, agree on a price and they will take you around the island. The driver will wait for you at each spot. (We hung out at each place for like 20-30 minutes).

7 mile was our last stop, and since we stayed at 7 mile beach for a couple of hours, we actually had to get another driver to take us back ($5) because our original driver didn't want to wait for 2 hours at 7 mile. It wasn't a problem, because be taxis were waiting in the parking lots at all major spots along 7 mile, so you just can just hop in a cab when you are ready to go back.

That sounds great, I love that idea... Then we get a lil bit of everything.

Where on seven mile beach did they take you?

That sounds great, I love that idea... Then we get a lil bit of everything.

Where on seven mile beach did they take you?

We just had her drop us off at a place along the beach that said "Public Beach"...It wasn't an official beach club like Royal Palms or Seagrapes or anything...It was a little bit further down then that, but they had showers, snack stands and a bar, places to rent umbrellas, chairs, water toy rentals like jet ski's...etc...just like the popular places...There were cruisers and other tourists there, but it wasn't too croweded.

7 mile is a long stretch of beach...You will be okay at any of the beach clubs or any area that is marked public beach...Those are the places that will have all the facilities that you will need and taxis waiting to transport people back and forth to the ships.The taxi driver kind of knew everything and dropped us off in a good spot. Your driver will probably do the same.

I like your idea on renting a car. Have a few questions thou.

1. I assume we need to reserve it in advance, but, any idea how early we can get it (ship arrives at 7 AM, leaves at 4PM) and do they send a shuttle to pick you up?

2. How is traffic? My sister is a little worried about not making it back to the ship in time.

3. Do you have any recommendations for things to see on our driving tour? We love local flavor when we travel, and getting away from the crowds.

I really appreciate your help. :)

Take the tender to shore and explore the immediate downtown for a bit by foot and slowly - Cayman is the island for $$ shopping if you dare; and fun looking if you don't want to spend. When ready flag a taxi and have them take you to Sunset House 1 mile south of downtown. Ask in the lobby to be pointed to 'My Bar' and head there for some island snacks and a libation. Cayman IS expensive but you can review the menu and prices at SUNSETHOUSE.COM. A beer/soft drink and some conch fritters and a great ocean view are a necessary pause in CI.

My Bar will provide a nice ocean side spot by the ocean and their pool. When ready to leave just ask them to call a taxi; I've always found them very happy to do so.

If you see another person from the ship at Sunset I'd be very surprised.

If part of the group wants to do a little snorkeling or a Discovery Dive this can easily be arranged again, via the web site.

I't where I go every visit to the big island which I first visited in around 1982 - parents in 1969.

(Cayman warning - some find Cayman expensive because they miss the conversion rate. $1 CI is $1.20 US is the street conversion rate. Or your US $20 is $16 CI. Most prices in menus and the like are in CI. US is accepted everywhere at the standard conversion {CI is fixed to the US dollar} ... but your dollar is only worth .80 IF you see a CI price, figure in a 20% tip for CI conversion - plus a tip if a service related item. Even when negotiating a taxi fare {not metered in Cayman} be sure if you are talking CI or US. I've found the Cayman folks to be the most honest of any of the islands but misunderstandings can happen.)

IF your ship will stay past sunset (which I doubt it will but) My Bar is perhaps the best place in the Carib' to watch for the Green Flash.

I like your idea on renting a car. Have a few questions thou.

1. I assume we need to reserve it in advance, but, any idea how early we can get it (ship arrives at 7 AM, leaves at 4PM) and do they send a shuttle to pick you up?

2. How is traffic? My sister is a little worried about not making it back to the ship in time.

3. Do you have any recommendations for things to see on our driving tour? We love local flavor when we travel, and getting away from the crowds.

I really appreciate your help. :)

I am currently researching Grand Cayman for our cruise stop in October....just looked at a driving tour (actually 2) of the island on frommers.com

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/grandcayman/2367_maps.html

We have rented cars in several cruise ports before....individual offices usually have their own operating hours so you'll have to check with a few to see what they offer (shuttle or not) and if they open as early as you would like. Try putting in your car rental specifications (pick up/drop off time, etc) into one of the sites like Priceline or Expedia, then based on the company names they return, you'll have some contact info to make more specific inquiries.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

• 3 weeks later...

What was the price of the taxi you negotiated? This sounds like a great

idea! Where would you recommend going. I want to see the island not the tourist traps.Thanks, Teresa

Archived