Scenic Tours-Europe-

cassandra44

I have just checked out a number of options including Scenic Tours. They seem to have alot of space in the cabins and there are balconies.

Has anyone been on one of their cruises? What reaction re cabin comfort, food and general ambience? Thanks

There have been many negative reviews of Scenic here. There are balconies but maybe no chairs in the rooms. There have been some positive reviews lately though.

Maybe someone can give you more info. There was a posting of sewage floating around the boat and lots of vibrations.

All of that kind of scared me off! We ended up booking a Sept 2011 trip on AMA Waterways. We had a hard time finding a good cabin on the date we wanted but shifted our plans a bit. We were surprised that we would have trouble so far in advance.

Good luck!

Actually, there have been some recent posts here in relation to Scenic tours.... Here is a link to a thread started by someone who has just returned from one of their cruises...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1220447

I always take the Trip Advisor posts with a grain of salt... Many are looking for a place to vent if something doesn't please them. Also - not always convinced that there aren't "plants" as far as posts go...

There are a number of people on the thread above who are travelling with Scenic later this year - if you can wait to book until the end of September or October, perhaps they will post on their experiences.

We have booked with them next April. We had read about the "challenges" experienced in the past year --> but the booking incentive was so good - and the itinerary hit all the right buttons - so we decided to risk it. The thread above was started after we booked, so it was good to hear from someone who said the experience was positive.

We have travelled with both Uniworld and AMA so far - so will have something to compare to. We did book the lowest category cabin with Scenic - so will not be able to speak to the balcony --> sorry.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not one who believes that the trip advisor boards are full of "plants" and people who just want to vent. I've used and taken advice from those boards and I've posted there as well. There is much to be learnt from those who have already travelled on a Scenic boat and found it wanting. Whilst it's true that the majority of posters are Australians it should be remembered that Scenic are an Australian company. Perhaps you should have a look what a previous traveller experienced on a Scenic cruise.

I did watch the video... Thanks for posting the link.

While I am sure that the situation was distressing for the people that posted it, the video didn't look that worrisome to me. I was expecting things to be falling off the shelves or desk. I am not particularly bothered by vibrations - it is the movement related to swells on the ocean that cause me some grief (hence the switch to River cruises....).

If the vibrations and/or past poor experiences are a concern for the OP then she would be wise not to book a cruise with Scenic. I was just trying to direct her to a review here on CC that is a bit more current.

Most people here have definite opinions - for or against - the current river cruise companies. And I am trying to think if any companies have made it through the CC reviews completely unscathed...(there is often at least 1 person who found the experience lacking....)

Perhaps I have made a huge error in judgement to book a cruise with Scenic - but time will tell. I will post a review about my experiences when I return - but that won't be until April 2011.

By the way - I do read the Trip Advisor (and other similar) boards - but look at the reviews collectively and in depth. Some people will really come down hard on a hotel - but in reading the review, it may be for something such as room service was slow at 3 am, or the (free) wifi was spotty. Neither of those things are an issue for me - and wouldn't "diss" a hotel for that reason.

Not sure why you commented on the issue of Australians - it didn't occur to me that the concerns would be geographically-driven. Unless, you feel that the original poster for the link I gave isn't really in a position to comment on Scenic as he doesn't live in Australia, and Scenic is an Australian company.

Just to clarify the Australian and Scenic is Australian part it would appear that many Australians have taken out suits against Scenic under our Trade Practices Act. We Aussies can be a lot harder on one of our own companies than overseas ones.

Me I couldn't have lived with that cabin on the video with all that noise and vibration but that's just me. That was one of Scenic's higher priced suites and for the money I'll be paying for a river cruise I can do without that. When you couple that with Scenic's refusal to answer all the post-cruise criticism from many Australian ex-customers I hope you can see why I didn't consider them when making our plans for 2011.

Absolutely can understand... You obviously have had access to some information re: past practices that is not readily available to some in North America.

Also understand your thoughts re: paying for a higher-priced suite and getting a less than desireable experience. If I was paying top dollar for something - and was expecting a smooth experience - noise and vibration would be upsetting.

When we looked at the possibility of doing a Tulip time cruise next year - given that we are doing the Rhine with Uniworld for the Christmas markets later this year - price was the biggest factor affecting our decision. We set a price point in our mind - and wouldn't be able to go if we couldn't find a cruise within that limit (our middle child is going to NZ for teacher's college next year... not a cheap endeavor when you live in Canada). Scenic was the only one that came in on target (actually, a little below target) thanks to an amazing early booking incentive. We are in the cheapest category cabin - and got a pretty good deal on direct flights - so actually have enough wiggle room to allow for 2 nights in Amsterdam to start (2 star hotel - did read Trip Advisor for a bit of background.... :D). If the cruise experience turns out to be less than perfect I am OK with that --> seeing the tulips in the spring is on my bucket list, and as long as I make it to the Keukenhof I will be happy. Now - if the weather would just cooperate....

If the experience isn't great, I probably won't consider them for any future cruises. But wasn't prepared to write them off without giving them a chance and trying it for myself.

• 4 weeks later...

I returned from the Scenic Jewels of Europe cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam last Friday and I loved every minute of it! We started out on the Scenic Ruby and had to change at Passau to the Scenic Sapphire because of high river levels which was done smoothly and efficiently with very littlle disruption to our itinerary. We were warned in the precruise literature that this might happen so we all made the most of it as you can't control the weather. We had cabin no 206 which was great and well insulated - no vibrations or excessive noise and none of the sewerage smells that others complained of. The cabin was small, but well appointed. We didn't use our outside balcony very often as we did not get the chance but it was useful for having conversations with our neighbours! We specially chose 206 because it was back far enough from the elevator and entertainment areas and forward of the engines. It seems we made a good choice. The crew of both ships were great, very friendly and efficient and extremely funny and our Cruise Director, Yvonne, was wonderful, informative and very entertaining. The food was terrific, very tasty and there was lots of it, great variety and wine flowed freely. Special arrangements were made for those with special needs and nothing was too much trouble. We also had the extra excitement of a collision whilst on the Ruby, with the Russian ship Rossini - Rossini's fault, it was travelling too fast in the fast current and the captain lost control - resulting in damage to 2 cabins below ours. No injuries and all was handled well by Scenic and certainly not their fault, though I believe the transferring passengers from the Sapphire were inconvenienced.

Perhaps we were very lucky as I cannot find fault with the cruise, or the company and those on the cruise with us seemed to also have a great time. I would certainly travel with Scenic again and experienced none of the problems that others have complained of.

Archived