Private tours in Kauai and Maui

marknrose123

Aloha,

We are a group of 10 that will be doing a the Roundtrip Hawaiian cruise (Oct 13, 2010) and I am looking for some recommendations on what to do in Kauai and Maui

We tend to perfer the private tours vs the ship excursions but as it is our first time there, I am open to any and all suggestions.

Mahalo

Aloha,

We are a group of 10 that will be doing a the Roundtrip Hawaiian cruise (Oct 13, 2010) and I am looking for some recommendations on what to do in Kauai and Maui

We tend to perfer the private tours vs the ship excursions but as it is our first time there, I am open to any and all suggestions.

Mahalo

Hopefully these pdf files of excursion companies will help. Good luck!

Websites for Hawaii Excursions - Complete Alpha List.pdf

Websites for Hawaii Excursions - Big Island.pdf

Websites for Hawaii Excursions - Kauai.pdf

Websites for Hawaii Excursions - Maui.pdf

Websites for Hawaii Excursions - Oahu.pdf

Aloha,

Mahalo

Marknrose123, are you on Golden Princess? If so, please join our roll call!

I looked for private tours in Kauai and Maui but did not find any to meet our time schedule or interests. :( We are doing ship excursions in those two ports.

• 3 weeks later...
Aloha,

Mahalo

While I don't have a recommendation for Kauai (we're spending 5 days there, so will do on our own), we've hired Awapuhi Adventures for a private day tour in Maui. We picked them based on the numerous positive reviews on tripadvisor.com We have her for the 17th of October, and are really looking forward to it! She will pretty much plan a day for you and incorporate whatever suits your fancy, and activity level.

Good luck.

The only place we did a tour was first day in Maui for Road to Hana. This one is a bit pricey, but I'm going to tell you about it anyway. I was traveling with my 81-year-old parents, 79-year-old aunt, and husband who has a sensitive digestive system;). I was afraid to go on a standard scheduled tour with companies that use even the 12 passenger vans as I was worried someone would become ill, get tired, whatever. On the other hand, I did not want to drive this road either.

We booked a private tour with Carey Limousines (www.hawaiilimo.com). We guaranteed six hours minimum at a rate of about $111 per hour. They used a Lincoln Navigator for us and we were quite comfortable. Not sure what they would use for a 10-person group but you can contact them (ask for Kathy, the VP). We ended up turning around in Hana as my husband was starting to feel ill - my mom had wanted to go all the way to Lindbergh's grave.:) We ended up paying for about nine hours, but it was the best grand we ever spent. We saved money everywhere else by renting a car.

Our driver Greg met us just outside the gate (the secure area) that is around the pier at 8:30 AM. We stopped in Paia to get box lunches at Cafe Mambo (which took way too much time); I'd recommend bringing a lunch off the ship. He also took us to the Thrifty rental office at the airport after our tour.

If you want to look at excursions like the ones the ships offer, then try Roberts Hawaii. (http://www.gorabbitgo.com)

They were about half the price of the Cruise lines for the same tours.

We also had a group (16 of us) and I contacted Roberts Hawaii Group Department and worked with them to design our own private tour on Oahu. Since Roberts is on all the islands, they could probably do it for the other ones too. We ended up with a mini-bus with a great driver/guide for 8 hours for about $70 a person. (and we got to put together a tour of what we wanted to see and how long we wanted to spend in each place.)

Archived