UK - Where to Find Plus Size Formal Dresses?

mollymoo12

I am having trouble finding suitable formal dresses that are flattering if you have a tummy and are a plus size (I am a size 18-20).

Anyone have suggestions of web pages or shops?

Ideally, I am trying to find a long/short sleeved (chiffon?) dress with a waterfull effect at the front to drape over my tummy.

I am having trouble finding suitable formal dresses that are flattering if you have a tummy and are a plus size (I am a size 18-20).

Ideally, I am trying to find a long/short sleeved (chiffon?) dress with a waterfull effect at the front to drape over my tummy.

Hi Mollymoo, try Debenhams (debut range) Ann Harvey, Elvi & Kaleidoscope, all available online.

Happy shopping!:)

Thank you for all your great suggestions, will be spending the next hour browsing.

Never knew there was a Boundary Mills at Grantham so I will be paying a visit there shortly.

Any more suggestions welcome.

Many thanks again.

June

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I also live in Lincolnshire (Louth). I've bought my dresses from The House of Fraser, Debenhams and Jane Norman. I trawled their sites on the internet first and then went to Lincoln, but the Jane Norman one I bought in Hull. Monsoon also do a lovely range of evening wear. I've bought a couple of glittery shrugs from them. Good luck and enjoy!

Maybe a strange suggestion, but you can find loads of new ball gowns on Ebay in Plus sizes. There are more and more retailers who now sell through the internet. Also brands like Debenhams, Monsoon, etc. Because some people are still weary about buying over Ebay, prices are really good. Generally, the dresses will arrived creased in a parcel, you do have to look through that and iron them.

Be careful with the ones directly shipped from China, as I had some issues there with returning them and customs problems. You want to deal with somebody in your own country.

Thanks for your suggestions, off to Grimsby or Lincoln tomorrow to have a look around. The Xmas ranges are just beginning to hit the shops so I might be lucky.

Jodie, I am also in Louth (off Horncastle Road) and I see from your profile, you are a NVQ assessor - snap.

Where are you going for your cruise in September, you must be very excited, it is not long to go now?

I am plus sized as well and had a lot of luck at myshape.com. It is a culmination of multiple retailers and designers for all sizes. I don't know how fancy you want to go, but I always thought that I want to find a dress that I will able to wear again for a wedding or party. Try newportnews.com also.:D Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. Don't know if you are still looking for oufits but I've been to Boundary Mills/Downtown at Grantham today and they have a lot of their Christmas type stock inat very favourable prices too!

It has to be Roman Originals or ebay. I've been in my local RO (Lakeside, Doncaster) and there have been as many as five of us all going cruising looking for frocks. And remember that all real women have lumpy bits which is why RO is brilliant as they do some dresses with lace up backs. Go a size larger and lace yourself down into it!:D

Archived