My review: Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour with Nativeway

grenouille

This excursion looks great and I'd love to do it... BUT my BF doesn't swim. Will most of the snorkeling require swimming skills? I've read that the sting-ray waters are very shallow and no swimming is necessary, but what about the Reef?

thanks for the great review!

~V

I booked with Nativeway for my April 30th cruise on Carnival's Triumph (will be in Grand Cayman on May 4th). Reading these reviews . . . I can't wait! I got to swim with sting rays in Belize in 2003 but this tour sounds so much better.

This excursion looks great and I'd love to do it... BUT my BF doesn't swim. Will most of the snorkeling require swimming skills? I've read that the sting-ray waters are very shallow and no swimming is necessary, but what about the Reef?

thanks for the great review!

~V

Currents and deeper waters at the reef, so you'd have to be a swimmer there.

For those who have done this excursion - what was the approximate time break-up spent snorkeling vs. in stingray city and rum point? While snorkeling, was there a beach nearby?

This is again an inquiry due to the fact that my bf doesn't swim, so trying to figure out what our options are. I've emailed Sharon and unfortunately the stingray and island tour comes back too late for us to make it back to the ship safely.

I think our itinerary was a little skewed due to the number of ships in port...we first did a little snorkeling (swimming required, *BUT* you could get a flotation device if you wanted), then went over to Rum Point for lunch, then to the reef and finally Stingray City Sandbar. The snorkeling was away from any land, and the reef part was in water that was a little rougher with current as noted earlier. At the sandbar, you could stand in waist-deep water, but the waves sometimes were enough to get you floating :) . Several in our party did NOT go in the water, for various reasons.

Timing: 1st snorkel stop about 30-40 minutes, Rum Point beach/lunch about an hour, 2nd snorkel stop (reef) about 30-40 minutes, Sandbar about 1 hour. Pure guesstimates!

Did you all have to pay when you booked the excursion or did Sharon just hold CC#. If paid in full and the ship does not stop in Cayman were you entiltled to your money back? Need to let my group know all of the info before we decide. I emailed Sharon a few days ago and have not heard back yet?

Thanks Dayna

Once you confirm your reservation with Sharon, she usually asks for your phone number, and will call to get your CC number to hold the reservation. Nothing is charged on your CC.

Here is a part of an email that I had received from Sharon:

I will call you to get your credit card to guarantee your arrival. The credit card will not be charged for the tour, just used to insure that you will show up. You will pay on our tour boat.

We accept cash, Traveler's Checks,MasterCard, Visa and Discover.

We ask that you provide at least 48 hours advance notice to

cancel. If your ship is unable to dock in Grand Cayman, we will automatically

cancel your reservation, at no cost to you.

Have fun!! :)

(hope this helps!)

Have e-mailed Nativeway. No response. Anybody know if reservations are essential or can you book with them upon disembarkation? :confused:

Don't know if they will be booked when your cruise arrives but to be on the safe side, I would suggest you just give them a call and book a reservation by phone. That's what I did and Sharon couldn't have been nicer. Things still aren't back to normal since the hurricane . . . especially email.

Haven't been on the board in a while; responding to a question from Velcro951: the ladies who chose not to go in the water still enjoyed the tour - it was relatively smooth that day; the stop at Rum Point was very nice, albeit brief; and they could observe the stingrays from the boat as the rest of us interacted with them.

Archived