Capitol One Adventure Rewards

I love the Capital One ads with the Visigoths/Barbarians. The problem is, that's Capital One's collection team. I cancelled my Capital One accounts (I had one for business and one for personal). I represented a guy who ran into trouble, and every other creditor worked with the guy, except Capital One. So -- my advice is to use the RCCL card.

I use my card for a lot of reimbursed expenses and pay off the card each month. I can rack up points quickly. I'm trying to find the best bang for my points.

I just got off of the phone with them. This is what I'm finding.

The points (or miles) add up quick @ 2%. It can be used for a lot of different travel expenses. What I don't like is that the points cannot be used towards a larger travel expense. For example:

If I accumulate 20,000 points. That can be used to purchase an airline ticket worth $200. If the ticket actually cost $500, they will not allow you to use the 20,000 points and pay the differnece $300 for the ticket. Your only option is to buy the ticket at $500 and have them apply the points as account credit, but only at 0.5% value of the points for $100, which is 1% of your $$ charged. Therefor, I end up paying $400 for the ticket rather than $300. I could let the points build up before I buy the airline tickets for my upcoming cruise, but I need to make sure I get them at a good price and it does not sell out.

I saved my RCCL points until I reached 125,000. When I redeemed them for my upcoming Allure trip, I was able to use them for the full value of $2500 off of the price of a D1 upgrade. (with my Platinum discount, I only paid $548 for a hump balcony on the Allure :p) Therefor I cashed them in for 2%. But in order to get 2%, you must get to 125k points.

What to do, what to do...

Archived