Boston "Upper Deck" Trolleys?

ewl

Anyone have any experience with the "Upper Deck" trolleys in Boston? Will be there for a port call and had been looking at Old Town Trolley, but this other one seems to be the one the ship (Princess) is selling. Any advice on either?

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't reply before because I have no experience with Upper Deck Trolleys. Having said that I can make a few suggestions.

1) Read the Tripadvisor reviews.

2) Compare the prices with Old Town Trolley. Old Town Trolley comes right down to the pier. There is a discount for buying tickets online - no need to book through the cruise line.

3) Read the fine print about what is being sold as a Princess Excursion. Other cruise lines sell Old Town Trolley as a straight tour (1 hr 45min) and not as a hop on hop off. The tour is fine if you never want to get off anywhere, but that doesn't seem to be what most folks are looking for.

4) Upper Deck is new to Boston and one comment on Trip Advisor was that they could use more trolleys for the hop on hop off. I'm sure Old Town Trolley gets busy as well, but lack of trolleys has not been a complaint.

Be realistic about what you can accomplish in one day off a cruise ship. Upper Deck offers a lot, but there is no way you can take advantage of it all in one day. It looks great for 2 days, but too much for 1 day. Also, think carefully before you decide to allocate your valuable time to a 45 minute harbor cruise plus waiting time. If you want to do a boat in the harbor, what I suggest for the Old Town Trolley is that folks go to the Constitution in Charlestown and spend $1.70/pp to take the 10 minute MBTA water taxi back to Long Wharf. Then walk through Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, loop through the North End and up Congress St. to pick up the trolley again at stop 5.

Archived