First cruise with toddler twins - HELP!

DMJZA

My husband and I have been on several cruises, but next month will be the first since we've had twins. It's our first real vacation with them, too. They'll be 22 months old and I'm a little nervous because they're too young for the kid's club (we're going on the NCL Jewel) and I'm not sure how this is going to work!

-What's better - cribs or pack-n-plays?

-I read some info about bringing an inflatable pool - does NCL allow it?

-They're too young for the kid's club - what can you do for activities?

-Can you bring them to the kid's rooms if you stay with them?

- Do we have to bring toys or does NCL provide some?

I would appreciate ANY advice - some reassurance would be good, too!:)

Thanks!

MJ

We are traveling on the Jewel tomorrow with our 12 month old DD. I will have more tips in a week but here are some suggestions:

-Bring an inflatable pool for the shower and pool deck.

-They have an Under 2 Zoo that you can go to everyday which has some toys that are age appropriate.

-They have pack'n plays/cribs available on the boat....so no need to drag it with you. I am not sure which one it will be until I get on board so I can let u know.

-There are scheduled Nicklelodian activities on board that are for all ages.

-Bring some toys....we are going to be bringing her favorites.

Hope this helps!!!!!!! I will have more info when I get back in a week!

Don't worry. Kerry's Girls will be along shortly to give you the twin perspective. She's gone many many places with them. We've taken our one DD and went as early as 22 months, so I can tell you it'll be ok...you'll make it. Crusing is a great way to travel with kids since you can see so many places and only unpack once. It's tough lugging around all that kid gear! lol

I can't answer NCL, but here I go:

NCL probably doesn't give you a choice besides take it or leave it. I believe Carnival is cribs, RCI is P&Ps, and I don't know NCL. We have always thrown DD in the oversized cabin bed with us. I would guess you don't do that at home with two, so you'll need someone with more experience to answer this one, sorry.

The inflatible pool is useful for no other reason than put in the bottom of your shower and get the bathing done. If you can use it on the pool deck, so much the better. I imagine it will vary by ship and staff, but I'll defer the final answer on this one, too.

Again, don't know NCL, but most lines have some baby toy time on the schedule, somewhere else besides the kids club. On our non-kids-club sailings we always brought our own toys, crayons, etc. but brought minimal books. We were able to check books out of either the library or the kids club, depending on if the library had books. The kids club let us have 2 at a time and we could trade them out any time they were open. The kids club acted like no one had ever asked before, but agreed easily. If your toys you bring start to get old too early in the week, I encourage you to ask about toy check-out at the kids club. The only thing they can do is say no.

RCI is strict about no wrong-aged people in the room (parents included...other than drop off/pick up), but you'll have to have someone tell you about NCL.

Kinda already answered the toy check-out, but I realize I didn't answer the activity thing well. We found that live music and people watching were good times. All new places will be exciting and a reason to explore. Find some out-of-the-way places or times and you can linger as long as you want without bothering anyone.

Have a good trip!

My husband and I have been on several cruises, but next month will be the first since we've had twins. It's our first real vacation with them, too. They'll be 22 months old and I'm a little nervous because they're too young for the kid's club (we're going on the NCL Jewel) and I'm not sure how this is going to work!

-What's better - cribs or pack-n-plays?

-I read some info about bringing an inflatable pool - does NCL allow it?

-They're too young for the kid's club - what can you do for activities?

-Can you bring them to the kid's rooms if you stay with them?

- Do we have to bring toys or does NCL provide some?

I would appreciate ANY advice - some reassurance would be good, too!:)

Thanks!

MJ

our toddler twins were 23m on our HAL cruise last summer. we brought a blow up pool & used on the balcony & bathroom-- had thought about using in the pool area-- but never had the time or interest. Mostly went swimming in the pool w/ the 6yr old while the toddlers napped.

we brought a small carry on that only had toys for all 3 kids-- tried to bring their favorites & toys that would be compact & keep interest. Thomas trains & tracks, cars, small books. Never inquired about borrowing toys since we didnt need any-- but had planned to. Each cruise has been different re playtime in kids club w/ parent for underaged kids--will defer to those w/ NCL experience

the twins had a great time dancing to music in some of the open areas, going to Bingo w/ me, going to the nightly shows, shuffleboard, giant chess, tennis, basketball, minigolf,we ate in the main dining room each night -- buffets were not for us w/ the twins-- too much getting up & down going after things-- we had a wonderful trip

we had 2 cabins on one Carnival cruise last year & one suite cabin on HAL-- w/ 2 cabins it was fine having metal cribs-- but if space is limited I would much prefer PNP to be able to close them up & have more space for the kids to play-- so for me I would lug a PNP w/ me to cruise if necessary -- but as far as usability or "better"-- either is fine for us & twins have slept well in either-- we have never used the sleep w/ us option even for singleton as I didnt want to have to deal w/ sleeping arrangements when we got home

Happy cruising

• 2 weeks later...
We are traveling on the Jewel tomorrow with our 12 month old DD.

Hey mymollysue! I can't wait to hear your review of the Jewel and tips for the little ones! Is there any way you could scan and send me the daily activity sheets so we can do some advanced planning? You can email me at mjviscomi at comcast dot net.

Thanks!!!

MJ

• 3 weeks later...

DS was 13 months on his first and 23 months for his 2nd cruise. We brought a small inflatable pool on both. We did have a suite on both so had a bathtub and used the inflatable on the balcony and it was so worth it (see my avatar pic). On NCL, we had a pack'n'play. It was new looking and we brought our own crib sheet for it.

We went to the toy room area once and he had fun, but he really enjoyed exploring the ship more than anything else...music, people watching etc. We chose an itinerary with 4 ports so only had 2 days at sea. He napped every day too. We brought a few favorite toys from home and a couple of books for reading before sleep time. We also brought a portable DVD player but only used that on the plane. We had a great time and are going again in Feb!!

When my DS was small, we used the sports court (when no one was there) for him to run around (and around, and around). It was great because it was fully enclosed so he could run off pent up energy but we did not have to worry about stairs, other people, chairs, etc. Take a small ball so that they can play catch and you are set for hours!

I have twins that were 2 in May. We are going on the Jewel when they are 2.5. I plan on bringing an inflatable pool. We had a balcony on our last cruise and the pool was great. I'll also bring a small carry on with their favorite toys/books and comfort items. I'll use the pack n plays on the ship. I have learned to pack as little as I absolutely have to. It will still be too much. We found the Under 2 Zoo at the end of our last cruise with them and it was great. They were 8 months old on the cruise we took with them and it was a lot of work. Fun, but not relaxing at all. I'm looking forward to them being older this time. We went to Disney with them when they were 22 months and they were awesome. We had so much fun. You will too.

Our twins first cruised at 10 months - pretty easy - they weren't really mobile at that point. Then, we cruised at 20 months. Both RCCL. The first cruise, I brought the inflatable tub and used it in the shower (we were in a balcony room). The second cruise, I didn't bother since we had a tub. We used the "kiddie" pool which allowed kids in diapers.

When they were 10 months, we put them in their umbrella strollers and took them everywhere - even on the putt-putt course. At 20 months, we couldn't finish a game with them because the kids were too slow, it was crowded, and kids were pushy. They enjoyed just walking around the ship, playing on the basketball courts, eating ice cream, you name it. I don't think we even took umbrella strollers the second time - if we did - we really didn't use them.

We used PnP's both times provided by RCCL. They seemed rather clean - i think we brought our own sheets. I think RCCL had a "Fisher Price" area setup at certain times. We never seemed to be on time for that - I think we did it once when they were 10 months. They loved going down to the ice rink to watch people and to look out the windows. I would still bring a couple of small toys/activities to keep on hand. I even brought a couple of small snacks from home for embarking/debarking...and I could use them onboard.

We have a picture on our entertainment center of the kids in the kiddie pool...and my girls keep asking for "the SHIP!"

Have fun and post how it went when you get back!

Archived