Currency Exchange on Board Magic - Tunisian Dinars?

jccruiser

Hi

Are Tunisian Dinar available on the ship before you arrive in port? I understand that the train tickets must be paid in Dinar and I was told that they are not available for purchase here in Canada

:(

Any advice greatly appreciated - thanks:)

Having been in Tunisia in May onboard the magic and when we were at the bazaar Euros as well as American dollars were quite welcome. I read that also the dinar is the only currency accepted but after being chased and harrased to buy anything and everything the street peoples were selling any form of currency is acceptable. They were building a new port welcome area when we were there in early May so I hope that would include an exchange window. On the Magic the desk would exchange dollars for Euros and although I had no need, dollars for Dinars but I am not positive. The advice I would extend is to go on a ship sponsored excursion rather than on your own. Having spoken to a few who chose on their own it is not the easiest place to get around and I for one can't speak or read the language. I am tempted to believe that Tunis was added on to the cruise so Disney would not have to charge tha VAT tax. If you port in one port that is not E.U. than you don't have to charge the VAT on purchases onboard. Having sailed on the Magic in 2007 in the Med. this was a source of displeasure amoung the cruisers.Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Malta is just beautiful.Tunis...well if we never return it would not break my heart...;)

I have read that is illegal to take Dinar from Tunisia, so I'm sure they don't offer it onboard for currency exchange. I think you'll have to find somewhere off the ship to exchange your money sorry.......

Archived