London:sights from Marble Arch to Queen's Theater

M5M

We have just two days pre cruise in early September... On the first day, we have the Buckingham Palace tour booked: I'd really appreciate some suggestion on how best to use our second day. We'll be starting from hotel near Marble Arch and ending the evening at Les Mis at Queen's Theater. Suggestions to use that day efficiently would be greatly welcome! We've seen many of the "primary" sights, Westminster, Tower of London, etc, so probably won't pay to go back into the ones with a fee unless there is some compelling reason. We've considered the British Museum, the V & A, Harrod's, Fortnum & Mason, the War Rooms........but don't have any idea of a good route or what would be the best use of time. Suggestions appreciated!

How about the cabinet war rooms and a walk from there to Westminster and the London Eye...from there you can take a nice stroll along south bank (I did it about a year ago and walked all the way to St. Paul's, a nice invigorating walk).....you can then take the tube back to your hotel (the central line stops right there at St. Paul's and goes directly back to Marble Arch..freshen up....go out to dinner (you wouldn't want to go to the restaurants I use, I only use Japanese restaurants in London), see the show and take one of the buses from Picadilly back to Marble Arch (#15, #94) to see London at night! Not too shabby a day eh. (you can stop on the walk along South Bank say at the Tate Modern which you pass right by along South Bank..

There are lots of great options in London and with your Buckingham Palace tour and evening play already set, you are off to a good start. Plus, your earlier visit there helps.

The Churchill Museum/War Rooms and London Eye are both great ideas. The many museums are great. Here are two big factors to consider. FIRST, the weather can seriously impact things on whether to choose inside versus outside activities, etc. You might want to have two "plans" prepared and be flexible for which direction to go. You can check here for weather two weeks ahead. Maybe bookmark:

http://www.accuweather.com/nwo/Forecast.aspx?lng=en-us&loc=EUR%7CUK%7CUK241%7CLondon

SECOND, have things fit your needs and interests. I assume you like history, architecture, etc. Both the V&A and Harrods are great. Below are some pictures of my favorites and some other options in London to spark your many ideas to consider. The Underground is so great is getting you around quickly, adding to your many options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the London "Eye" wheel, it offers great views of the key sights and sites:

LondonEyeView.jpg

The Churchill Museum and underground War Rooms offer interesting history:

ChurchillMus2.jpg

At the Victoria & Albert Museum in London they have spectacular rooms, architecture and art works:

LondVAMus.jpg

At Harrods, the Georgian Restaurant is on the Fourth Floor
 with its elegant dining. They have a la carte, carvery 
and buffet lunches, plus their famous afternoon teas. Once when there, we enjoyed the Royal Strings that were the favorite musical performers for the Queen Mother.:

LondHarrodDinRm2.jpg

Inside of one of London’s smaller art museums, here is the Courtauld Gallery with its early Renaissance to 20th century collections. It is noted for Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings:

LondArtMusInt.jpg

For food in London, the markets can offer a wide range of fresh items. This is at the Portobello Road Market.:

LondonMarkFood.jpg

I think I have a rather circular route put together, incorporating some of the suggestions above, from Marble Arch area (hotel) to Imperial War Museum, walking past Big Ben/Strand/Trafalgar, on to British Museum for perhaps an hour, then over to Queen's Theater for the show. Probably some of the way will be via tube, I think it's too far to walk it all...? Would eating in Chinatown be logical, it looks like it is between the British Museum and the Theater? Or any suggestions for an Indian restaurant in that vicinity?

Archived