Aft Cabins

Francesca2

I have been reading so much about Aft cabins. Is the attraction the view, amount of space, ? I thought the midsection of the ship was better because of less movement therefore less chance of motion sickness. Your thoughts would be much appreciated as I am due to leave in three weeks on the Splendour. Thanks. This forum has been great!:)

On are last two cruises we have had aft cabins and the one we are going on in October we also have an aft cabin. I like it as you can see both sides of the ship and watch the water from the prop. The balances are much larger then the ones on the sides. Great views when you leave port and breakfest coffee is great. Also makes for a great afternoon nap with no people making to much noise. Yes if you can get one you will love it and want one every time you cruise.

We have a corner aft for our upcoming CC Group Cruise to Alaska on the Serenade. My sister had the corner aft on the Grandeur and it was huge. They had two lounge chairs plus a small table and two chairs. It is nice to be able to see on both sides of the ship as stated above and you don't get a lot of Hallway noise. :) I can't wait to watch the Inside Passage go by, I'm hoping to spot some more whales.

Misty

On Splendour and Legend, the aft corner is actually the smallest balcony because it is not a wrap around. The center aft has the biggest balcony. Also one one side of the hall near the aft there are stairs that lead to the spa and solarium. Which is great if you want to work out in the morning or a quick snack.

We have had forward, middle and aft rooms on 9 different cruises. I would pick the aft. The walk to the back of the ship may be long, but it's worth every step! The view is spectacular. I didn't feel any difference in motion in any of the sections of the ship we have had rooms on. We had 35 foot waves on the Radiance in January and we only felt a slight rocking motion. Kind of lulled you into a nice sleep!

Francesca,

First let me say, I am not prone to motion sickness, so you may get a different answer from someone who is, but I personally think the old adage that the mid-ship is better is a little out dated with today's ship building technology. It certainly was true even 15 years ago on our first ship that was one of the old true ocean liners, but with today's size of ships and stablizers, I personally don't feel very much of a difference in the rocking motion between the bow, aft or mid ship, UNLESS you hit a big storm, which rarely happens.

We used to always book mid-ship however for the convenience of getting around the ship and still take that factor into consideration. We've booked aft cabins and do love them for the balcony size, quiet, privacy. I really don't think the aft cabin sizes are bigger than the side cabins, but the balconies are usually double in size, sometimes even bigger than that. If you have at least 2 sea days, I would definitely give it a try. The view is beautiful and sunsets viewing is great from your private retreat!

On Splendour and Legend, the aft corner is actually the smallest balcony because it is not a wrap around. The center aft has the biggest balcony. Also one one side of the hall near the aft there are stairs that lead to the spa and solarium. Which is great if you want to work out in the morning or a quick snack.

Hi Ocean Princess,

Just curious about the size of the Legend corner aft balconies. We have 6124 and were so excited that we had an aft. You mentoned that the corner aft balconies are the smallest. Does this mean they are the smallest of the aft or smaller than all the other regular balconies on the ship? Have we got a really tiny one? We were so excited as we are travelling with another couple to the Panama and thought the supposedly extra size ( that is what we were told when we booked ) meant that the 4 of us could enjoy our balcony ( they have an ocean view cabin ). Would really appreciate some feedback.

Returned from Legend's Panama Canal recently after having a corner aft cabin (6626). It was wonderful. The balconies are not exceptionally large but adequate for 2, even 4 people comfortably - although they only have 2 chaise lounge chairs and a small table. The aft is definitely the way to go especially on this particular cruise. You don't have to fight the crowds to get an exceptional view of the transit through the locks.

The only problem is that deck 6 is one deck above the crew deck. There is a small area off the dining room on deck 5 where they are allowed to go to play music, smoke, etc. The crew sit out there sometimes, and sometimes get a little loud. I guess they deserve it, they all work so hard. But every morning at 5 a.m. there is somebody who pressure washes the crew deck and it is extremely loud. Will wake you out of a sound sleep if you don't keep your slider door shut. Just a warning.

Enjoy your cruise - you'll have a great time!

Returned from Legend's Panama Canal recently after having a corner aft cabin (6626). It was wonderful. The balconies are not exceptionally large but adequate for 2, even 4 people comfortably - although they only have 2 chaise lounge chairs and a small table. The aft is definitely the way to go especially on this particular cruise. You don't have to fight the crowds to get an exceptional view of the transit through the locks.

The only problem is that deck 6 is one deck above the crew deck. There is a small area off the dining room on deck 5 where they are allowed to go to play music, smoke, etc. The crew sit out there sometimes, and sometimes get a little loud. I guess they deserve it, they all work so hard. But every morning at 5 a.m. there is somebody who pressure washes the crew deck and it is extremely loud. Will wake you out of a sound sleep if you don't keep your slider door shut. Just a warning.

Enjoy your cruise - you'll have a great time!

Many thanks for the info. We were hoping that the view thru the locks would be great as we really don't want to fight the crowds. Your message has confirmed this for us. Guess we will have to see if we can get a couple more chairs as there is another couple travelling with us ( separate cabin ) and we plan to use our deck as they are in an oceanview cabin with no balcony. Only 3 more sleeps until we leave for Vancouver and then off to Florida. We can't wait! Chris

Archived