Question about Caribbean Princess docking in FLL

BobVv

This may seem like a dumb question, but we have sailed on the Grand and The Golden and departure and arrival in Ft. Lauderdale, the rear of the ship faced the Marriot, inorder words they backed the ship in. And resulting the even number rooms were facing the incostal and the odd numbers were facing the docks.

Several pictures from vairous galleries of the Caribbean Princess have shown it going bow in towards the Marriott, making even numbers toward the dock.(reversed from the previous crusies we've been on).

Has there been a change in orginatation? Or they only do it if there are alot of ships in the port? As we sail in May I know there won't be as many ships as they are in the Winter and Spring.

We chose the even numbers as we enjoy the baloncy before we leave the dock and watching the intercostal.

Appreicate your inputs.

Bob V.

Having just gotten off the CB last Saturday I can say that for our cruise the CB was in FLL port with the starboard side towards the dock and the port side towards the coastal waters. Thus the odd number cabins faced the dock.

I have left from FLL several times. The orientation of the ship is not constant. Sometimes the bow points north, sometimes south. There is no apparent reason, but I am sure there is one.

Weather conditions dictate the direction the ship docks.

When we first saw the Caribbean Princess come in to port on May 8 at 5:15 AM or so, she hung a left at the old Burt and Jack's Restaurant and backed in. It was quite a sight. We drove down just to see her come in before we sailed on her in Sept. We saw her again on July 3. Most times she has backed in, but in July, her bow was pointed toward the 17th St. Causeway Bridge, as I have a picture from the Best Western side with the ship behind me. I was quite surprised to see her "face in".

I never knew what the reason for the different directions was, until this thread.Easier on the Capt, Pilot? Docking? In Sept, there were several ships moored there because of the Hurricane, and I thought that we went in straight because there wasn't enough room to back up. The Golden Princess did that, too. One time when she was still leaving from FLL, she bow was "kissing" that of the local SeaEscape who was pointed out. That was a December, and my hubby, grown son and I were on the SeaEscape for an afternoon excursion. Lynne

This may seem like a dumb question, but we have sailed on the Grand and The Golden and departure and arrival in Ft. Lauderdale, the rear of the ship faced the Marriot, inorder words they backed the ship in. And resulting the even number rooms were facing the incostal and the odd numbers were facing the docks Bob V.

Where ships will dock at Port Everglades is entirely the decision of the harbor master. Here's the web site -- it will tell you at which pier your ship will be docked. The list is published only about 4 or 5 days prior to sailing.

http://www.broward.org/hmreport.htm

Archived