Feeling frustrated with a 3 year old and ruins?

regana

My older children, ages 12, 9 and 6 would like to go to some Mayan ruins. Carnival has the Altun Ha/City Tour with a minimum age of 3, but we'd really like to do the Altun Ha/River Wallace Tour which has a minimum age of 4. I think the drive to Carnival's Xunantunich tour is too long. Lamanai looks great since it has the boat ride but I'm seeing all these posts about not getting back on time. The best reviews for getting back on time are belizecruiseexcursions, but their minimum age is 6! My 3 year old hikes with us, so I'm not concerned with her walking around the ruins at all. Are there any options for ruins with a boat ride for 3 year olds? Is going to Lamanai too risky?

I have children ages 9 - 15 and we finally decided to do the ruins last year but did them in Costa Maya because in that port, they have the shortest ride to get to them. Where else is your cruise stopping?

As for Lamanai, my husband and I did that one years ago. Personally, I would not take my kids now on that tour. It is a long way there. I remember that first it was a bus ride, about 45 minutes. You then board the boat for the river portion. If I remember correctly, that was another 30 - 45 minute boat ride. The boat ride was a fast ride and the wind was blowing hard on your face the whole way. I had to put my t-shirt over my face because I was getting extremely wind blown. You can't really like to anyone during the ride other than people right next to you because of the wind.

The ruins can be good for kids if they understand what they are seeing. We read some books about the Mayans beforehand and talked about them (most tour guides will go over their heads). I also gave them a camera to take pictures. Otherwise, they can get bored easily. If it is hot, that is another big issue so go prepared for that.

Archived