Excursion question on Carnival

Peaches166

Hello All,

This is only my second post as I'm new to the boards and cruzin...

Anyway, I was wondering if we booked our excursions in advance on carnival's website and there is bad weather (we are going the week of Dec 12th 2010 to the Western Carib) Would we get our money back or do we need to transfer it to another excursion?

Also, is it best to book our excursions thru a private tour company or wait until we get off the ship? I'm trying to decide what the best excursion is per port..IE: Should we snorkle in Grand Cayman vs doing an island tour, should we shop in Cozumel vs doing snorkling there etc.

I really want to do a hike thru a rainforest, jungle type of situation...but no tubing (my husband is 6'8). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for ur help.

p.s. I'm so excited...I can hardly sleep!:D

As this is your first cruise I'd recommend that you book your excursions through the ship. If the weather is bad and the excursion cancels you'll be refunded your money... not necessarily so with a private company. As a minimum, you'd have to contact them and request a refund and that can take, as you might well imagine, some time.

Another point to consider is that if your Carnival excursion is running late getting back to the ship they will most likely wait for you... not necessarily true of excursions booked outside of Carnival.

Grand Cayman is known world wide for Stingray City... an amazing adventure where you get VERY up close and personal with hundreds of rays... very exciting... very rewarding.

Are you going to Jamaica? There are many 'jungle' excursions provided by experienced, knowledgeable guides.

I like Coz as a beach day... consider Nacho Co com, Paradise Beach, Mr. Sancho's or pretty much any of the others... guaranteed great time!

All the best in your search!!!

:)

Thanks for the response. That is what I was thinking....we should arrange it thru the ship. I was worried about doing that b/c I thought alot of other ppl would be going and I've read that it can be a hassle when u have a large group. Maybe it won't be that bad since it's about a week before Xmas and alot of schools haven't let out yet for the season.

Our first cruise we did both, booked excursion through Carnival and 3 private.

We would never just walk off a ship a select an excursion!:eek:

There is a wealth of info on these boards, just go to the ports of call section. I think if you do your homework you will be okay. We double check to make sure they have back-up plan in case something would happen say to the transportation via vehicle or boat.. we read review after review on other sites besides CC and we make sure the excursion is done in PLENTY of time, usually give ourselves a couple of hours so we can look at the local areas before boarding.

Some people will only do Ship excursions which is okay too. Its all about feeling comfortable.. have fun !:)

I completely agree with host Mach. Since this is your first cruise, and you are not traveling with an experienced group, book your excursions through the ship. It may be a little crowed but it is a lot safer. They will refund your money if they have to cancel the excursion.

Have a great time on your cruise and prepare to become addicted!! :D

Archived