Accommodation Dover

I would suggest the front runner would be the Premier Inn Dover Central (Fery Terminal).

Down on the sea front in the middle of the town with the cruise terminal at the other end of the harbour.

The Premier Inn has a good value pub/restaurant as well as well as being a solid accommodation choice. Its a no frills hotel so don't expect room service, spa's and health clubs but as far as the rooms go are indistinguishable from any chain 4 star.

On the edge of Dover is the more expensive Ramada which for the independent traveller doesn't have much going for it versus the Premier Inn (far from town, cruise terminal and rail/bus stations to London) - more suited for tour buses which it seems to attract.

If you are a large family there are a few B&B's around Dover Priory Station with family rooms.

We will be in Dover one night pre cruise. Any suggestions for us which was a good spot. We need a room on sept. 26. Thanks for any ideas.

We stayed at the Premier Inn - Ferry Terminal Dover July 30. The room did not have A/C but there was a fan in the room. The room was a decent size. When booking ask for a sea view, if possible.

We arrived off the National Express coach and the room wasn't ready until 2pm so they held our luggage. The coach goes to the City center and ferry terminal stops and the driver said after that he was off duty and if we wanted, he could take cruisers (Disney ship was in) to the cruise terminal. People tipped him. We asked if we took a taxi to the Premier Inn from there and he said he would take us as close as possible. He did and we only had to cross a street to get to the hotel. It was very nice of him to do that.

From their site you can prebook a meal plan for the all you can eat breakfast and dinner with a set menu. I didn't want the set dinner menu so only prebooked the breakfast and made a reservation for dinner (encase we wanted to eat there). There are no other restaurant around without walking into Dover. Once at the hotel, they asked what time you wanted breakfast. They reserve a table for you, not like in the States where you can walk into the diningroom at anytime for a buffet breakfast. You help yourself to the cold things and order from a menu for the hot (bacon, sauages, eggs - poached, scrambled, fried, beans, oatmeal, fried tomato). We had our dinner there. They have a 2 page menu and also a section 2 can eat for 10GBP. We enjoyed both meals. There is also a bar.

You walk through their small parking lot and you are at Dover's waterfront. We enjoyed walking along the waterfront. We were able to walk into town. We took a taxi to the castle for 5GBP and walked back. If you have time, the castle and war tunnels are worth seeing. When we checked in, we ordered a taxi for the next day to take us to the dock (about 5 GPB). We would stay there again.

I was planning on the Ocean Princess out of Dover 8/14 but alas had to cancel.

But I found this website very informative. Lots of info, and accommodation listing too. I didn't care for the looks of the Premier Inn,

found the B&Bs more to my liking. But plenty of choices.

Have fun planning then taking your trip.

http://www.whitecliffscountry.org.uk/visitor_information/maps.aspx

Check out this one with a sea view

http://www.loddingtonhousehotel.co.uk/

Many of us here on CC also use TripAdvisor.com... it's a great website that will give you traveller reviews of hotels, etc.... including for Dover. We used it to help select "Hubert House" for our Dover stay in September.

Thank you for the 2 excellent recommendations. I am double checking as there are 3 Premier Inn's in Dover. Is it Premier Central?

thank you for all the other information. I know we will visit Dublin Castle.

You want the Premier Dover Central, sometimes called Dover Ferry Terminal, sometimes called Dover Eastern Docks.

The address is Marine Court, Marine Parade.

Dublin Castle is a long walk from here, you might want to consider Dover Castle instead!

The castle overlooks the town. You can easly walk up to it from the town/hotel but its a very steep hill. There is a regular public bus up the hill that passes the castle, you could perhaps walk down on the way back.

Archived