What to do between cruise and flight out of FLL

ksbateau

Four of us will have a few hours to kill between our cruise and flight home out of Fort Lauderdale. Any suggestions besides hanging out at the airport? Would we be able to check our luggage in early and take a taxi somewhere to spend time, and if so, where? Our flight out doesn't leave til 4 pm. Should we just hang out on the ship until they kick us off?

Would love to hear from you experts!

RCI offers some excursions after you get off the ship. They will keep your luggage and deliver you to the airport later in the day. Check out the website for more info. I don't think you can check you luggage in much more than 4 hours early.

If you can check your luggage early, take a cab from the Airport to las Olas Blvd in Ft lauderdale. It's a great street of shopping and restaurants, you could definately spend a few hours there. It's only about a 10 minute ride from the airport. There are a few large hotels on Las Olas, perhaps one of them might store your luggage for a few hours as a courtesy.

Because of the security measures since 911 the airlines can not take your luggage that early...soemthing like onlu 3-4 hours in advance of your flight. You can always rent a car and do some sightseeig on your own. Rental prices are fairly reasonable most week-end days in Florida. This way you would not need transfers to the airport or taxi fee's

I've done the excursion from the ship that includes a trip to the Everglades and an airboat ride. It is a lot of fun and very informative.

Your luggage goes on the tour bus and you are dropped off at the airport at the end of the tour. No worry about storing the luggage or finding a cab, etc.

what time would these excursions leave? I know that getting off the ship can be a bit crowded and hectic. Was hoping to disembark late - so there would be not rush - but still do one of these excursions. Our flight is at 7:00 pm at FLL.

If we have hours to kill, we try to get a day room at one of the hotels.

We have done this several times in Fort Lauderdale. We use the pool, have lunch and take a nap grab a shower and go to the airport.

We took decided to book the cruise line Everglades tour and it was fun and informative. You might even get a chance to try alligator nuggets at the tourist stop/resturant. When the tour bus delivered us back to the FLL airport we still had about 2 hours to kill before we could go through security and there was nothing to do in our terminal, not even fast food or gift shop, so take a book to read.

We aways get the latest flight out of FLL that we can. We rent a full sized car from MIA airport, put our luggage in the trunk, and hit the beach. South Beach.:D Just arrange to have the car returned to FLL airport, and you'll be fine. No extra charge for this.

Thanks for the help everyone, glad I asked! I never knew about shore excursions after getting off the ship! I don't know what we'll do yet but it's good to know there are lots of options out there. It's going to be SO depressing leaving the warmth and coming back up north!:(

Archived