Slow time in the caribbean

Peaches166

Hi All, First off I have to say that I'm getting ADDICTED to this website. I keep it up while at work and take a "peek" when I'm able. ;)

Anyway, I wanted to know what months are considered to be the "slow" season in the caribbean. We are booked on Carnival Valor for Dec 12th to do 7 days in the Western caribbean. I read somewhere that private tour companys will often cancel due to low participation so I'm afraid to book a tour with an outside vendor then only to find out once I get to port that it's been canceled and my DH and I are stuck for the day. Any suggestions?

Hi All, First off I have to say that I'm getting ADDICTED to this website. I keep it up while at work and take a "peek" when I'm able. ;)

Anyway, I wanted to know what months are considered to be the "slow" season in the caribbean. We are booked on Carnival Valor for Dec 12th to do 7 days in the Western caribbean. I read somewhere that private tour companys will often cancel due to low participation so I'm afraid to book a tour with an outside vendor then only to find out once I get to port that it's been canceled and my DH and I are stuck for the day. Any suggestions?

We haven't booked anything before we get there. We have been cruising for 17 years and when we go our experience has been, when we walk off there are drivers everywhere, they want to make a deal. Wherever you want to go and how long. We just make sure the front and rear air works great. We do well and has always worked. Some others may have different opinions. Read the reviews for your cruise to and be sure and join your roll call. You may can hook up with some of them.

Mary

Slow months are in the summer, when many many ships deploy to other regions such as europe or Alaska. December isn't a slow month.

But regardless of ship numbers, they still sail at or near capacity. And don't tour companies operate the basis of all clients of a given tour being from one ship? (that's a presumption, not a statement of fact)

Like Mary, we've never booked a private tour in the Caribbean - taxi/van drivers lined up at the quayside are friendly, reliable & trustworthy, they know their island & they know the importance of back-on-board time. Agree a price/basic itinerary before you board, pay at the end - its the norm. Its also the norm to share with others at the quayside if you're only 2 & you don't go ashore with new friends - you don't have to share, but the driver will be looking at the same total price for his vehicle.

It's also generally quite a lot cheaper than a tour company, though I can understand those who want the peace of mind that they've already booked & have some idea of the standards.

So no reason you shouldn't book an operator if you want, with the assurance that you'll have no problem winging-it if your arrangements go belly-up.

Of course you can alternatively book thro' the cruiseline, but expect a much poorer and inflexible production-line experience.

This post re sight-seeing road tours or simple transfers - activity excursions are a different ball-game & need individual advice

Free-wheeling in the Caribbean is a great way to enjoy the islands

John Bull

Archived