11/28 Jewel w/Kids - ?'s - please help!

mhnh1309

First: any information on the NYC port would be most helpful. We are planning on driving in from NH, potential with a rental. Anyone have any advise??

Second: two of our children have special needs (1 is autistic (Aspergers) & 1 has mild mental retardation). They have done very well in the past on Royal in the main dining room but have never had to wait for a table as it was assigned seating. We have been on NCL Majesty twice before and have always had a 30-90 minute wait for a table (once we were a party of 2 and the second time a party of 4). When we go to the buffet we always have a hard time trying to find a table or tables that will handle our size group. We are a party of 11 on this cruise and are very concerned about wait time for the main dining room. Someone had told me we could request an assigned table because of the special needs of the children and have it reserved for the same time every night, but the reservation agent with NCL seemed unsure. She said we would have to talk to them once we get on board. Any thoughts/feedback???

Third: Any details on the set up of the kids program would be great. Again we usually travel Royal with the kids and their program seems to be much different. When we were on NCL Majesty they had one room for the kids and all age groups were mixed in together. Additionally they kept cancelling the planned kids activities. We would show up to an event listed on their daily listing and find a sign posted to the door saying the event was cancelled. Once we even signed our 13 year old daughter in for an event, they cancelled it after we left and they sent her back to the cabin on her own without calling us to let us know. Royal never let any of the children leave the kids area without an authorized adult. Royal was great with our children with special needs. Does anyone have experience with NCL and special needs children? The reservationist seemed usure if the counselors had had experience with autism. He is fully functional, he is just very rigid to routine, schedule, etc. So if the plan was to watch Sponge Bob at 10am and they are running late, he might have a melt down if someone doesn't share with him that there is a change of plans.

Fourth: Any information on the teen club?

Fifth: Bringing an infant with us, (he'll be 8 months) - anyone have any tips on making the cruise enjoyable to parents and infant???

Thank you!

HI.

Did you try to contact the NCL Access Desk? I too, have a son traveling on the Jewel with special needs. I emailed the Access Desk, which helps with these sorts of issues and they were more than helpful. (I inquired about crowding, noise factors, meals available, embarkation, etc.) They were great and I suggest you contact them if you have not done so already:)

I have never had a wait of longer than 10-15 minutes any time that I did not have reservations on any NCL cruise. (and I have dined in parties of up to 12 without reservations.).

Remember, the Majesty was an old NCL ship that was not built for Freestyle Cruising and did not have as many dining venues as the Jewel. I also think that was part of your problem with the bad Kids Club... the Majesty is not as large so there may not have been enough kids for the activities. When my daughter was younger, they never let her (or any kids) out of the Kids Club on the Dawn, Star or POA without a parent or grandparent signing them out.

As far as group reservations, NCL ships will take group reservations for large groups like yours but they limit the times available to 5:30, 6:00 or after 8:00 p.m. Not during the prime dining period of 6:15-8:00. They can't guarantee you the same server each night because the servers rotate between stations and restauarants from night to night. (and yes, you have to make those group time reservations once you are on board.)

You can book the specialty restaurants for anytime that they have openings.

I was on the Jewel in March with my son who has a long list of medical issues. On embarkation day I went to the Kids Club to sign him up and asked to speak with the person in charge. I explained all of his issues/needs and also had a note from my pediatrician stating that he could fully participate w/o restrictions( in case they tried to hassle me).

They were very accomodating and understanding and happy to help. They gave me one of the "ship phones" and told me they would call me if there were any issues or questions. He did GREAT and loved it! They also had activities with all ages groups together and family activites ( make your own pizza etc). I found it very organized, well run and they stayed on schedule as far as I could tell.

There is a kids buffet near the regular buffet that I would sometimes take him to if he couldn't wait until dinner. It is off to the side so less crowded/hectic and worked in a pinch. Maybe you could take the kids there if there is a wait in the MDR??

I too urge you to get in touch with the access desk. My parents are on the Epic this week and they needed some special dietary accommodations. I had to fill out a form. from the questions asked on the form, NCL has thought a lot about special needs of many types. If you booked through NCL, your pcc can put the request in through your reservation as ours did. About 10 days before the cruise, I got an email (folks are ok on the computer but not great) about the special request. If you don't want to cut it that close, call. the number is

800.327.7030 | Ext. 7604, hope that helps

Archived