Buying jewelry on the cruise ship?

Yazoo cruiser

I have never bought an expensive piece of jewerly on a ship because the prices were not as competitive as what I can find in Chicago. I did buy a ring in Cozumel from a CCL approved shop and it was supposedly white gold and it tarnished rather quickly. I have a friend who owns a jewerly store and he said I'd paid an okay price but the grade of white gold was low. I think we must realize buyer beware.

I have worn only yellow gold most of my life. Two years ago I had a ring made in white gold (I designed the setting for a stone I already owned). I intended to wear it in the summer only. I loved it so much after i first got it that I didn't take it off for a few months. (Normally, on that finger I wear a yellow gold ring that I've worn for years.) After a while my new ring began to get a funny yellowish cast, so I went back to ask why. I couldn't imagine there being a problem because the goldsmith here in town has a very good reputation.

When I voiced my complaint, he immediately asked if I 'did the dishes' in it, because some detergents will react -- causing the tarnish. Of course, I immediately realized the issues:

1) I'm a chef, so I always have my hands in water, and often it's BLEACH water :eek:

2) I've always worn my yellow gold ring on that hand (even at work), so it was never a problem before

3) My other rings on my left hand are platinum -- so it's never been a problem with them either

My jeweler offered to rhodium plate it for me (for free and it looks great), but suggested I be more aware of how I care for it. I learned my lesson. I have gone back to my yellow gold ring permanently, and switch out the white gold one when I am tan and wearing other silver jewelry.

It was definitely a learning experience for me!

You know we have some special metal mines etc. in this state, here and there. MT has of course gold rush country history here as well..I'm no expert..but just hear some of the hobnobs/historians/jewelers wax on and on...and have been fortunate enough to receive a nice gold piece of jewelry or 2 as gifts from family...

If something tarnishes off..I beleive it's plated in something; not a mixed alloy...if 10K white gold..a lot less gold in the alloy than 14k, 18k. etc. And even gold does tarnish to a degree..I have a gold coin necklace I use the same cloth on...you can see the black after the job. Harsh chemicals are hard on all metal..I did a number on a little solid silver dog pin my grandmother gave me (boo hoo)..dipping it in some stupid quick clean silver stuff. Old silver pieces develop a beautiful patina (sp) over time..being properly cared for they still shine..with a unique patina..

And yes with hands in Chemicals the hardest metals..what are they?? Platinum..Palladium?? are best. Any way no expert..but be careful with all metals in chemicals over time and yes..we all have skin acidities or is it alkaline?? that interact differently..just be careful with your precious metals...

I will read the interesting links later thanks OP and all for info.

One more thing..

I personally have had gold filled..which I understand as being gold plated..stuff rub off and be the worst culprits in the waste of money..the expense of metal these days especially..good to take proper care...sjn.

And yet another thing..gold and silver have special markings for authenticity in different countires..one needs to know and see that on a piece!!!

I have purchased a couple pieces of costume jewelry on ships. I would never buy anything that is labeled gold or gold by the inch. I have found better deals at stores like JC Penny's.

No doubt, at 45 I bought myself a little diamond ring there..not a perfect diamond by any means in 14k white gold..it was last years model and I paid what it was worth...not the original price..300 or something..as I say not a fancy diamond but what I wanted..just a little bling!!

They have a great selection of properly marked gold..but I would be concerned now for 2 reasons..cost of gold and this rhodinized thing..probably on gold too..sorry still need to read attachments..again..fun thread..sjn.

Real White Gold is just what the quote above says: an alloy of various metals which are melted together and then cast into shape. It is not yellow gold which has been simply dipped in order to modify the color.

Perhaps this will provide some additional information http://www.jewelrygenius.com/RoseWhRv.html

"White gold is created by increasing the silver-colored alloys (zinc, silver, nickel) normally mixed with gold and decreasing the yellow-colored alloys (copper). 14K white gold contains as much gold as 14K yellow gold but is nearly white in color: NOTE -- white gold still has a very, very faint yellowish hint unless it is plated with rhodium, a common industry practice which we do not use because of the following reason: Because the rhodium plating eventually wears off in raised areas, it leaves splotches of yellowish color which show up noticeably against the unworn areas. White gold is available both in 14K and in 18K. The 14K white gold (which we use) has less of the yellow hint."

A little sleep deprived and under the weather here...thanks..could grasp the concept on second read..sjn.

I think this may be something that "well known chains" do....to insure that customers will pay to "maintain & service".

Next time I visit the "diamond district" I'm going to ask....

Just a note....whenever I go...the sellers offer to steam clean whatever I'm wearing...and no one has ever told me my ring needs to be rerhodinized.

Not quoting everything..Thanks got it.. we were sort of saying the same thing..well it was fun to talk jewelry..

I'm a little under weather and using chatting here to stay the course..was redundant due to fatigue. Thanks for illuminating things.

I like to acessorise with nice fashion jewelry too..beads and stuff..I love all the glass bead fashion work.

I have purchased a diamond ring on the ship that appraised for more than I paid for it when I got it home, and bought some of the semi precious loose stones - have some that the jeweler who set them offered to pay me more than I paid for them, so at least part of the time you can get a bargain, but he did say the stones were a little oddly cut, not poorly cut, just not a "standard" size, which is probably why they only cost $10.00 a carat.

Archived