Hollywood beach area - Fort Lauderdale

kittenaround

Can anyone give me some advice about the Hollywood Beach area of Fort Lauderdale. We've never been to Florida so have no idea of the area.

It appears that Hotwire has the Westin Diplomat (4 star hotel) for $109 for the evening of January 22, 2011. If I have the right hotel (if someone could confirm that would be great), this hotel usually goes for $328 a night.

Hotwire has it listed as a 4 star hotel with the following amenities:

Resort

Resorts offer a complete destination experience. Facilities generally include a spa or fitness center, one or more swimming pools, and superior dining options. Depending on location, recreational activities may include water sports, golf, tennis or skiing. Coastal resorts usually boast ocean views or beachfront access. Note: A resort fee may be charged.

Near Beach

Property is located within easy walking distance of a beach.

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Pool(s)

Property offers at least one pool area; hours and dates of operation may be seasonal.

Restaurant(s)

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

High-speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Golf Nearby

Property is located within walking distance or a short drive of at least one golf course; an extra charge typically applies.

Spa Services

Guests have access to a spa facility or spa services; an extra charge typically applies.

Hollywood is a separate city from Ft. Lauderdale. The airport is officially the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, if that tells you anything.

I'd be ALL OVER the Diplomat. It's a wonderful property with the best pools in South Florida.

Hollywood is lovely. There are tons of little shops and places to eat. There's a boardwalk along the beach for strolling, skating, etc.

You aren't really all that much further away from Port Everglades than you would be on 17th St in Ft. Lauderdale, but you are worlds away from that tourist ghetto.

Most likely it is. I bid a few weeks ago and that is what I got. I then read that you may be put up at their golf property and not at the beach. I don't really mind; the price I got was $89, $102 after taxes. Here is a link to the thread discussing it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1249534

What was the date you booked the resort for?

Archived