Need tips re: Westin Diplomat -Hollywood

shonandsuzie

We booked the Westin Diplomat Resort through Priceline for our upcoming cruise. We are staying there 2 nights and hope to use the pool and beach A BUNCH. I was looking on this thread prior to bidding and saw that you need to call and "make sure" you are at the beach location and not the golf location before you go.

I called today and the guy that answered said "You are assigned your room type when you arrive". And I know that generally is the case with priceline reservations, but several people here were able to get confirmation of the beach location on theirs. So...

Any tips on how to get what we want? Like, what wording has worked? Or doesn't work?:eek: Special person we should talk to? Anything like that.

Thanks in advance!:)

We booked the Westin Diplomat through Hotwire. I called the hotel to confirm they had our reservation and to see which location we were assigned. I was told we would be staying at the golf course location. I told the woman that we booked the hotel for a relaxing 3 night stay and that we were looking forward to enjoying the pool, beach and many restaurants at the beach location. If there was anything she could do to switch us it would be greatly appreciated. We are now booked at the beach location. I am still keeping my fingers crossed because anything could change between now and check in. Good luck

I've found a nice $20 gratuity can grease the wheels pretty much anywhere. You have to be slick. As you check in, slide a crispy twenty across to the agent checking you in and say, "I really appreciate anything you can do for us."

Really? I have never tried that at a hotel reservation desk. Seems like a James Bond move. ;)

We booked the Westin Diplomat through Hotwire. I called the hotel to confirm they had our reservation and to see which location we were assigned. I was told we would be staying at the golf course location. I told the woman that we booked the hotel for a relaxing 3 night stay and that we were looking forward to enjoying the pool, beach and many restaurants at the beach location. If there was anything she could do to switch us it would be greatly appreciated. We are now booked at the beach location. I am still keeping my fingers crossed because anything could change between now and check in. Good luck

I am going to try that too. I think i just wasn't in the right frame of mind when I called yesterday. Initially, they couldn't even find my reservation which had me worried so once they found it, I wasn't as assertive as I probably should have been with the room type.

Really? I have never tried that at a hotel reservation desk. Seems like a James Bond move. ;)

More a Grandpa Boots move. We did it at the Hilton Metropole in London, got in at 7am, wanted to know if we could upgrade to the tower (a more modern part of the hotel) and if we could check in right then and there. It was 20 pounds, but it worked a treat.

We got checked in, and our room was wonderful. Huge bathroom (in EUROPE!) and big fluffy bed. We bathed and slept, woke up at noon and went to do the Tower of London. Passed other travelers trying to be comfortable in yesterday's clothes in the lobby. Best 20 (or 30) I ever spent.

It also works in crowded restaurants when you want to be seated quickly. I got my service advisor to take my car to emissions for me so I didn't have to do it.

There's an Esquire article about it:

http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0303-MAR_20DOLLARS

Glad I found this! I booked through Hotwire and never realized there was a chance we could be located anywhere other than the beach! I have 259 days until we sail....is it better to call now or closer to our stay?

We have stayed at both the Westin Diplomat and the Westin Country Club and Golf resort. They are 2 separate establishments. Your email confirmation should specify which one you are going to. We booked both through Hotwire and knew immediately which hotel we had been allocated. When we got the Golf hotel I called Hotwire and asked to be moved to the Diplomat as we had stayed there previously and loved it. We were refused. In the event we enjoyed our stay - the spa at the golf hotel is lovely and free to hotel residents. Would happily stay at either of them again.

We have stayed at both the Westin Diplomat and the Westin Country Club and Golf resort. They are 2 separate establishments. Your email confirmation should specify which one you are going to. We booked both through Hotwire and knew immediately which hotel we had been allocated. When we got the Golf hotel I called Hotwire and asked to be moved to the Diplomat as we had stayed there previously and loved it. We were refused. In the event we enjoyed our stay - the spa at the golf hotel is lovely and free to hotel residents. Would happily stay at either of them again.

What I have been reading is that they now consider the 2 properties to be one resort. So that although ours says Westin Diplomat Beach Resort they now call the both locations combined the Westin Diplomat Beach Resort. It is good to hear that the golf location was nice too, though.

You should try emailing the Diplomat. That's what I did and they were very eager to please. They agreed to switch my reservation from the golf resort to the beach. AND - if there's an issue at check-in I have their email to prove it! Btw, I've heard others have also had luck by emailing them also.

You should try emailing the Diplomat. That's what I did and they were very eager to please. They agreed to switch my reservation from the golf resort to the beach. AND - if there's an issue at check-in I have their email to prove it! Btw, I've heard others have also had luck by emailing them also.

Did you email them through the "contact us" button? Who did you address it to; just reservation dept?

I've found a nice $20 gratuity can grease the wheels pretty much anywhere. You have to be slick. As you check in, slide a crispy twenty across to the agent checking you in and say, "I really appreciate anything you can do for us."

My luck would be there would be nothing they could due......except have a nice lunch with my $20. :o:eek:

Have you ever been disappointed?

Yep, I emailed the Diplomat through the Contact Us button. They were pretty quick to respond; within a day I think it was (I won the Diplomat several months ago on Hotwire for our November cruise.). They emailed me stating it would be no problem to switch my reservation to the beach resort. They then sent another email confirming that my reservation has been switched. I kept both emails "just in case."

Okay, so I joined the SPG program yesterday. Today I emailed the Westin Diplomat through the "contact us" button and asked them to add the SPG# to my reservation and requested to be near the pool/beach using some of the wording I've read on several of you guys' responses. I would definately have given me the "right" rooms if I worked there and read my email. ;) I am feeling quite hopeful!

Thanks again everyone and I'll update when I hear back! :)

Have you ever been disappointed?

No, I never have. No one has taken my money and not helped me out. I've also never been turned down. I'm not obnoxious with it, I only do it when it's important. Like turning up at Maggiano's with 15 people and no reservation. We were quoted a 75 minute wait time, I actually only slipped the hostess a $10, and BOY were the folks I was with impressed when we got seated right after we all got a cocktail at the bar.

It works great in Las Vegas, New York or San Francisco where folks are used to being greased. Some people give you a wide-eyed look and sort of have to think it through, then they catch the drift.

Once I was at Mall of America at a really crappy place and for some reason there was an interminable wait. After the first 45 minutes I got tired and slipped the hostess a $20. Turns out so did one of my friends. We did get seated right away.

Also, it's good karma to be generous with tips of all kinds. The shuttle driver, tour guides, your service adviser, these are all folks who should be tipped. At restaurants where you eat frequently, compute 20% and then add a buck. Definitely over-tip at Waffle House, seriously if someone is working at Waffle House, they need the extra buck and honestly, does it make a big difference to you?

I have friends who are super-tight with tips. I go to dinner with them, and make up the difference in their tips if I have to.

My Grandpa Boots was a wonderful guy, I don't know if he liked being a big spender, or if it was just his way of spreading the wealth, but he always had tip money and he wasn't shy about doling it out.

I did get a response to my email! They said I will be close to the pool and beach! They also added the SPG # to my reservation. Yay!!!!

Thanks for all of the help everyone and I will post an update when we get back.

Yay! Their pool is one of my favorites anywhere! So cool.

Also, the soaring palm trees in the lobby are fakes.

We are staying in the Westin, like some of you all. I won the hotel through Priceline. I did what was recommended and wrote an email hoping to secure the beach hotel.

I got a reply saying since I had booked through a third party, they would not guarantee the beach location, nor would they put the preferred guest # on my booking.

Shondaandsuzie, may I ask what wording you used to gain the beach location and getting the # added? Should I just give them a call and speak to someone vs using the email? Do you think it matters that our booking is not until in Nov?

I loathe golf!! I know lots of folks enjoy it, but it is simply not my game. To stay at the golf resort would totally not start our trip off on the right foot. Help! All hints and advice will be appreciated!

We are staying in the Westin, like some of you all. I won the hotel through Priceline. I did what was recommended and wrote an email hoping to secure the beach hotel.

I got a reply saying since I had booked through a third party, they would not guarantee the beach location, nor would they put the preferred guest # on my booking.

Shondaandsuzie, may I ask what wording you used to gain the beach location and getting the # added? Should I just give them a call and speak to someone vs using the email? Do you think it matters that our booking is not until in Nov?

I loathe golf!! I know lots of folks enjoy it, but it is simply not my game. To stay at the golf resort would totally not start our trip off on the right foot. Help! All hints and advice will be appreciated!

Well, when I emailed I didnt mention priceline. I just said I have reservations and I want to add my spg # and ensure that I have a room near the beach and pool. A friend of mine is staying there in Novemeber and she called and was insured that she would be at the beach location, too. They told her that the address on your confirmation is where you will be staying.

I printed the email response to bring with me..just in case though.;)

My daughter-in-law tried this in Las Vegas. She slipped a $20 bill to the desk clerk and I did not.

We got exactly the same type of room.

Archived