toddler w/ a peanut allergy!

ergirl1120

My daughter was just diagnosed with a peanut allergy :( . My family and I are cruising with royal carribean on march 6th. I was just wondering if anyone has had experiences with cruising with kids with allergys (peanut in particular), and how accomadating the waiters/staff were. My worry is they will just blow me off and say "no, no...this wasnt made with peanuts", without really investigating the matter. Thanks!

My daughter was just diagnosed with a peanut allergy :( . My family and I are cruising with royal carribean on march 6th. I was just wondering if anyone has had experiences with cruising with kids with allergys (peanut in particular), and how accomadating the waiters/staff were. My worry is they will just blow me off and say "no, no...this wasnt made with peanuts", without really investigating the matter. Thanks!

You have to watch out as in any restaurant in the US. Carry the epi-pen as you always should.

You need to inform the cruise line prior to your cruise of your special dietary needs. Call your travel agent ASAP. The cruise lines usually like 30 days notice. They are very accomodating.

Things to be careful of:

The buffet and tables in the buffet area. If someone has had Peanut butter and it gets on the table it may cause a reaction.

In port, you never know what you may encounter.

Always have the epi-pen

Our son who is 9 now is allergic to peanuts & eggs, so needless to say we have to be very careful on travel choices. We have been on 2 cruises with him, the first he was 6 we went to Bahamas and last Summer to Mexico. Cruising is the only way to travel outside the country with food allergies.Both were on Carnival. We let the travel agent know & she let the cruise line know well in advance. As soon as we check in on the ship I found the matre de, told him our situation, and he had the asst matre de come to our table every night to go over the menu with us and helped out with other food questions. I would not rely on just the wait staff...dont get me wrong they are all great , but you need to be talking with their boss (matre de or asst) about what your child can eat.

We did this and it was smoooth sailing !!!!

We are going to Alaska this Summer on NCL and are planning a Europe cruise Summer 2006.

Ask me anything about traveling with food allergies...I can talk all day on this topic.

Hope this Helps! Mark

Archived