First time to Cozumel--need activity advice

katsmeeoww

Hi,

I'm going on my first Caribbean cruise. I went on a Mediterranean cruise a few years ago, but it was a very small boat with not so great stuff...but, it was cheap.

Anyway, I've never been to Cozumel. What are your thoughts on the best excursion (or non-excursion)? I'm doing mayan ruins in Belize and diving in Roatan, so we can skip those activities in Cozumel.

I like the beach and getting some local flavor. Would be interested in shopping, but not like high-end duty free stuff, more like Mexican handmade stuff...ceramics, leather, etc. Snorkeling would be cool. I always have a hard time deciding what to do in limited time.

I saw some posts that a lot of people just get off the boat and walk around. With everything going on in Mexico right now, I'm a little leary of getting into a cab there. I'm assuming since Cozumel is an island, it may be a little more insulated from the craziness, but who knows?

Any thoughts? Thanks, Kat

Kat -- Welcome aboard.

What you read about the bad things going on in Mexico are nowhere close to Cozumel. Very safe to hire a cab and to walk around.

There are 3 cruise ship piers in Coz. Punta Langosta is close enough to the downtown area of San Miguel to easily walk. The other two (International and Puerta Maya) you will need a cab.

I'd suggest looking into a trip around the island to see the East side. You could hire a taxi for the day and stop at some of the beach clubs.

The light house at Punta Sur (national park) offers great views. The East side is very laid back with no electricity. All the places selling food and drink rely on generators and don't stay open past dark. Food and drink is absolutely safe.

You can search this board to find out more about getting around the island. Enjoy your cruise. (BTW, we have been to Coz on 2 land vacations and 3 cruise stops -- 4th coming next January.) ☺ ☺

We have been to Cozumel more than 5 times and love it. I would NOT worry about a cab. They are lined up at the port and downtown and rely on tourists. Our best times in Cozumel were when we had 2 other couples, rented and van for the day, toured the island and went to the east side for lunch. It was incredible.

We also loved Chankanab (sp?) Park. We took a taxi from the port and arrived before cruise tours. We could snorkel off of the beach, had lunch and a wonderful time.

Shopping is better in town and get off the main drag. There is a street that runs parallel to the main road along the ocean with many neat shops.

Wish I were going tomorrow:)

Archived