What would you do?

kaeffe

I don't know why I feel so nervous about doing Progresso on our own as we have'nt done a ship excursion since 7 cruises back, but I feel uncertain about what to do in Progresso. We love to see the sights in ports, we like to do some snokeling and beaching, and some shopping. We---DH, DS (14), and self will be in Progresso Sept 8 on the Carnival Triump. Just a quick get away for DH's BD.

Please give me suggestions & details about what you did. Son would like to do ruins, I'm afriaid it will be too hot. And I hate, hate, hate cold water---no cenotes.

Probably no hotter, or maybe a little bit hotter than at home. There have been days recently when Merida's temps have matched and exceded ours here in NC. A few days when Merida was 2 or 3 degrees cooler. Wear loose fitting clothing and a hat.

Keep reading this board and also checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com for great information. I'll be returning to Merida on Aug 30th sailing Elation. I've been there for two port calls and 3 two week vacations. The Yucatan state is very safe. Nothing to fear. No snorkling though. It's not the sparklng clear Caribbean. It's the Gulf.

If a very old Spanish Colonial city of almost one million would interest you, Merida is great. The state capitol and home to four universitys. The bus fare is $3.00 RT. There's also some really major Mayan ruins and a couple of all-inclusives to visit.

Just don't go expecting alot of phony glitz. This is the real Mexico and most find it charming.

Great fish and seafood of the freshest at the restaurants along the Maleco in Progreso.

H forgot to tell you that the snorkeling here sucks stump water. Neat place to loaf but with this port being in the Gulf of Mexico the water isn't clear like the Carribean. Lots of things to see and do, though.

Forget snorkeling in Progreso unless in Cenotes. We will be on that sailing and planning on going to Chichen Itza and expect it to be hot. Temperatures in Progreso at the moment don't look too bad.

Here are some pictures from one trip where I just wondered around town. The $2 double-decker bus tour is now $3 :eek:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/fantasy_c_07/progreso/p.htm

How about some people who've done Progresso/Merida on their own telling about what they've done! And how they did it--on their own or a tour or ship excursion?

I've only been to Progreso now once. But we are heading back again in another two months for a second cruise.

We did the DZ ruins tour through AutoProgreso. The price was half the cost of what Carnival was offering for the same tour.

I had emailed the company ahead of time requesting a reservation for 5. When we got off of the ship, we walked through the one building into the market area. The AutoProgreso representative was there at a small fountain. She had my name on a binder. After paying for our tickets, we boarded the same bus as the others use to get into town. After departing the bus, another representative told us where to meet at 10:15. We were free to roam the open air market for about 30 minutes.

We met back at the designated area and boarded an air-conditioned bus for the ruins. The tour guide from the bus was our guide at the ruins. Jerry was fabulous. After his portion of the tour we had a few minutes to explore the cenote before returning to the bus. The bus dropped us off at the port rather than in town.

As I said, we're returning in another couple of months with a different group. I intend to use AutoProgreso again.

I didn't mention this before but we had planned to take a different tour. However a few days before we left we changed our minds for the ruins closer to Progreso. AutoProgreso had no issue with our change in reservation. Good customer service!

MY wife and I did this cruise last week. It was our first ever cruise. We did not do the ruins, but I wish we would have. My wife wanted to swim, so we opted to stay on the beach. Big mistake. Don't even bother. The beach was aboslutely packed and the water was murky brown color. It was not enjoyable at all. The only thing that was good was the massage and the $1 beers. You can generally get 45 minutes to 1 hour of massage for $10. Still amazing to me. Take full advantage of that.

I assume that you are going to Cozumel the following day on the Triumph as we did. I would make a list of all the shopping you need to do for family back home and do it ALL at Progresso. Everything is dirt cheap and of course haggling is half the fun. When you get to Cozumel, everything will be more expensive, and the locals are MUCH less willing to negotiate. Most even have cash registers for crying out loud. At progresso, do one of the short ruins tours, DZ or Xcambo, then get your souveniers and massage. Then spend the entire day at Cozumel in the crystal clear water (one of resorts or snorkeling trip + paradise beach). In my opinion, that will be the best use of your time.

I understand that there is not a bus service to the DZ ruins. I think you have to get off the Merida bus at some point and then take a collectivo to the ruins. You may find details on http://www.yucatantoday.com.

In Merida there are bldgs from 1549 and the oldest cathedral of the Americas, circa 1560. Beautiful plazas, museums, beutiful old churches, restaurants, shops, local markets, sidewalk cafes and ice cream parlors with wonderful tropical flavors. Carriage rides ($20/50 min) from the historical center out onto the Paseo Montejo a wide upscale blvd. And the usual Walmart, Costco, Burger King and the many domestic chain stores. Art galleries, indoors and sidewalk, opera house. You'll find what you would expect in any large, vibrant city. And a proud and warm people. Merida is a safe and clean city. And I'll be there in just two weeks from today. Yucatan Today gives alot of insight. Research is key. Not at all like the phony glitzy Cancun nor like the border towns of our southwest.

kaeffe. Hot? Sure. It's summer and Mexico is closer to the equator. BUT, here in High Point, NC today will be 92 degrees as has been 92 to 98 for the past few weeks. In MERIDA, this week the temp will be 93 to 95 daily. Really not much different and I would guess that your temps in La will be similar.

Hi I just got off the triumph today on a 5 day cruise , it was also our first time in progresso. take the free bus into town , get off walk through the open market and there will be people out there offering tours for 15.00 i kid you not the same tours that carnival and auto progresso offer. We had a white guy named puablo ask for him. We went to see the salt flats ( he even went in the water and got us all some salt to try) , They then took us to see the flamingos. After that we went to the xcambo ruins . This guy was so informative and helpful we were allowed to stay in each place as long as the group wanted!!! after all that he took us to a private beach club ( no beggars) beautiful water nice and clean. food was so good!! all food 7.00 all drinks 3.00 . we stayed at the beach for atleast 2hrs. they then dropped us back off in town right near the free bus back to the ship. And yes the van was air conditioned!!!! word of advice wear sneakers and he will give you bug spray if needed also take water !!!! its hot. If you want I have the info to reach puablo if you would like it.

I found a great tour company for our stop in Progreso. It is called Iluminado Tours. Their website is http://www.ilumendo-tours.com. I wasn't sure about Progreso but I knew we wanted to go to ruins and a cenote. I communicated vial emails with Astrid until we worked out a plan that would fit on the limited time frame that you have. AutoProgreso and some of the others just looked trashy and they were hassling and hounding from the time we got down the pier. They will customize the tour to fit your needs. Astrid and the tour guide, Juan, met us at the bus terminal. She just came to greet us and Juan was our guide for the day. It was a nice van, cooler with water inside and we were on our way to Uxmal. He showed us things all along the way. When we arrived at the Ruins, he had us look at a menu to order if we wanted to eat lunch afterwards. He told them what time to have the lunch ready. His knowledge of the ruins and his respect of the Mayan culture was unbelievable. I really didn't care that much about going at first, but now, I'm wanting to research it! We then went to a very remote cenote. I actually want to go back to the area for a vacation now just to go on tours with Juan so we can see all the things we missed. I definitely recommend getting OUT OF PROGRESO. Okay, I'm fresh off the boat, if there's anything else!

sorry I just saw your messages I will just post his info on here

His american name is Robert

in mexico he is known as pablo

you may contact him at

rabbitt777mx@yahoo.com

Pablos Chcxulub crater tours

Please tell him the african american couple from Jxn Ms said hello!!!

;)

the website listed on the card is www.members.tripod.com/-rabbit777

Hi Chased,

Do you have any other contat info for Pablos? The email I sent with that address was returned stating, "Delivery to the following recipients failed." and the website is not longer there.

How did you find him? Did you find him once you got to Progreso or had you contacted him beforehand? Also, once in Progreso, will there be tour guides/taxi there? Last trip we went with Autoprogreso so I didn't take note if there were taxi or not. We are just looking to do something like you did on our day there with a stop at a restaurant.

Hi Chased,

Do you have any other contat info for Pablos? The email I sent with that address was returned stating, "Delivery to the following recipients failed." and the website is not longer there.

How did you find him? Did you find him once you got to Progreso or had you contacted him beforehand? Also, once in Progreso, will there be tour guides/taxi there? Last trip we went with Autoprogreso so I didn't take note if there were taxi or not. We are just looking to do something like you did on our day there with a stop at a restaurant.

Hi im sorry that was the info he gave me. but when you get off the free bus walk through the market and there will be a mexican man standing right outside the fence he will stop you and say he has tours for 15.

00 he is pablos boss. or you can just ask him for pablo as soon as you go through the fence. I promise you cant miss them. I dont recall seeing any taxis there and all the stuff we did was pretty far so i would think that would be expensive. when i figure out how to add pictures i will post pics so you all will know who to look for.

Im trying to upload some more pics of the tour with pablo. Hope you enjoy them.. ok this is the guy who we booked the excursion thru . pablo works for or with him... find them early before the tours sell out. just walk thru the market and he will be right outside the fence. if I can help more please ask.

756981900_carnivaltriumphAug2010905.jpg.d1c4a0541a2acadb919322dda2b9c61f.jpg

Archived