Need advice from Cozumel Savy people!!

tw67

I have been to Cozumel a few times, but each time I had a plan. This time there 2 families going, 4 adults, and 4 kids. So far the plan I am coming up with is to go see Tom at Paradise Beach first thing, let the kids have some fun climbing on the water toys, I can have my pineapple foo-foo drink, eat some good Mexican food, etc...then everyone wants to go shopping. So we were thinking of changing out of bathing suits and getting a cab to bring us shopping. We will be on Valor, so I guess from everything we read we will be docking at Puerta Maya. So where is that in relation to where I want to go shopping?

Of course maybe my question is where do I want to go shopping??!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Terry

Terry: there is shopping at every dock,with lots of shops.A lot of things are repeditive as what you will see.Is there any thing special you are looking for?If you are looking for a nice restaurant in Cozumel I'd have to recommend El Choza.Don't worry there are shops every where!!!!:)

Kimberley

Terry: there is shopping at every dock,with lots of shops.A lot of things are repeditive as what you will see.Is there any thing special you are looking for?If you are looking for a nice restaurant in Cozumel I'd have to recommend El Choza.Don't worry there are shops every where!!!!:)

Kimberley

I was actually just in Cozumel last month!! I know there will be shopping by every port, and I don't know what my friends are looking for, but I will be looking for Vanilla, and when it comes to shopping..I don't need to be looking for anything in particular!! I wanted to stay away from the shops right at the pier, but last month when I was in port I was on a Royal Carribean Ship, so I was at a different dock.

Terry

Terry: if y'all go into town go about two blocks inside from the main street,you get much better bargains.I have never bought vanilla in Cozumel but a lot of folks do,maybe someone will chime in here and tell you the best place to purchase.

Kimberley

Terry: if y'all go into town go about two blocks inside from the main street,you get much better bargains.I have never bought vanilla in Cozumel but a lot of folks do,maybe someone will chime in here and tell you the best place to purchase.

Kimberley

Thanks Kimberley. So maybe we will just take the cab back to the pier, and whoever doesn't want to go shopping (my husband and kids come to mind!!) can go back to the ship, and my friends and I can shop! Sounds like a win-win situation!!!

Terry

There's also a supermarket on the road to town. Forgot the name of it but it had some great deals. Everything from Tee shirts to hot sauces. Our taxi driver waited for us in the parking lot. I also heard there's a new supermarket more like a Walmart in Cozumel.

We have a son that loves hot sauce. Almost paid $5 for a small bottle in town & found loads to choose from starting @ 59 cents at this store.

There's also a supermarket on the road to town. Forgot the name of it but it had some great deals. Everything from Tee shirts to hot sauces. Our taxi driver waited for us in the parking lot. I also heard there's a new supermarket more like a Walmart in Cozumel.

We have a son that loves hot sauce. Almost paid $5 for a small bottle in town & found loads to choose from starting @ 59 cents at this store.

Thanks! That is great! We will have to look there.

MEGA is just before you get to Punta Langosta pier (the one that has CarlosNCharlies at the end of it)....

For those really wanting bargains, grab a cab and head to the plaza. Then walk several blocks into town where the locals shop. It helps if you can speak a little spanish but it opens up a whole new aspect to shopping. One Year my DW had a bad case of sunburn on her, uh, lets say, upper thighs. Yeah, that's it, upper thighs;) (Saltwater floats you really high). We slipped into one of the stores several blocks from the tourist traps and found some bargains on soft sweats. I even found a nice shirt for $8. Nobody in there spoke a word of English.

We always walk down the side streets and haggle. We were told by a store owner last time that business is really bad - lots of people down town but not buying anything like it used to be. Really good bargains to be had and they really appreciate our business.

I found a good deal on some vanilla the last time I was at Cozumel at a little shop on the northern edge (to the right facing the water) of the shopping area (plaza). It's less than a half mile from the plaza. I don't recall the name of the shop, but I paid about $10 for a liter bottle. Most places charged twice that close to the plaza.

• 2 weeks later...

Kimberley

I bought Vanilla - really good Vanilla in a small grocery store a block or so off the main street. This was about 7 or 8 years ago and when we go back in Dec. I hope to be able to do the same thing. It was a lot cheaper than at the pier, but bear in mind that this was a long time ago.

I say to buy from locals versus the chain franchises (carlos and Charlies, Senor Frogs, etc) which need the money much more than these big guys. Been to Cozumel and the big guys are just in name sake only and prices to high ... You can get better deals down town and make a better contribution to their weak economy.

Archived