New picture of Queen Elizabeth

dmwnc1959

I think there are some old paintings onboard - but the 'QE2 must be preserved its all Carnival's fault' confuse a cruise line with a museum...

Cunard do encourage that museum viewpoint. Okay, crassly, but Cunardia? It really is a joke, no?

As for the bits and pieces from QE2, whilst they should have been preserved in this country, I understand the business decision behind it.

I rather hope that, eventually, the pieces will return to this country for public display.

Whether on a current Cunard ship, or elsewhere, doesn't matter as much.

I hope that photo does not do the painting justice:eek:

What's wrong with it? I think its more sympathetic than some other recent efforts:

queen%20elizabeth%20II.jpg

hm-queen.jpg

214_freud_queen.jpg

hm-queen-oils.jpg

Who'd want Lucien Freud's portrait eyeing you as you mentally debated 'Golden Lion or Commodore Club'?

Hadn't heard that the embargo was broken ... when did the reporter post?

Businesswire moved that story in the US September 20, 2010 09:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time

New Official Portrait of Her Majesty The Queen Unveiled - See http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20100920005527/en

Also By Laura Roberts

Published: 2:00PM BST 20 Sep 2010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/8013480/Queen-wears-Coronation-jewels-for-new-portrait.html

Cheers,

Salacia

The new portrait of HMQ is no worse, and maybe better, than the "rather pedestrian" portrait of her mother by Sir Oswald Birley that graced the 1st Class Lounge of the Queen Elizabeth from July 1948 (the portrait replaced a far better marquetry panel "The Canterbury Tales" by George Ramon)

It was later seen on a landing on a stairwell on QE2, one of the very few places on board with enough wall height to allow it to be seen.

Interestingly Queen Elizabeth requested in the late 30s that no portrait of her should be hung aboard the new Queen Elizabeth. Her brother, who was on the board of Cunard-White Star, managed to pursuade her otherwise after the war.

Interestingly Queen Elizabeth requested in the late 30s that no portrait of her should be hung aboard the new Queen Elizabeth. Her brother, who was on the board of Cunard-White Star, managed to pursuade her otherwise after the war.

She also said, during her tour of the new QE2, when shown the First Class ballroom and told that it is called "The Queens Room", words to the effect of "That's rather pretentious, isn't it?" :D

(The actual quote I think may be in Potter and Frost's "Queen Elizabeth 2")

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Peter .... which Princess ship do you think these came from!!!??? :rolleyes:

I'm sure we'll be told!

Meanwhile, some confused soul has posted this on Facebook:

It's abit confusing..are the pieces billed as replicas are period pieces once displayed on original cunard ships? Or are these modern day copies of pieces of cunard pieces from previous vessels?

I tried to work out what that meant....but gave up....

Meanwhile We Are Cunard has some more pics of Queen Elizabeth....I think the Verandah looks rather smart:

Photo-83.jpg

And we can get a sneak peek (through some scaffolding) at the artwork in the Britannia Restaurant:

Photo-116.jpg

All in all I think she looks super!

Meanwhile ....We Are Cunard has some more pics of Queen Elizabeth....I think the Verandah looks rather smart:

And we can get a sneak peek (through some scaffolding) at the artwork in the Britannia Restaurant:

All in all I think she looks super!

I think we are all going to be pleasantly suprised by some of these rather bold art deco touches that are being revealed!! Looks like someone has paid a lot of attention to the detail.

Really looking forward to being onboard in November - are you planning a QE trip soon??

Ken

Really looking forward to being onboard in November - are you planning a QE trip soon?? Ken

Nothing booked, but I'll be on the tour a week on Sunday - I liked her sister very much - and if the photographs are anything to go by I suspect I may like QE even more!

Cunard have taken delivery of Queen Elizabeth:

Cunard receives new Queen Elizabeth

(UKPA) – 1 hour ago

Shipping line Cunard has taken delivery of its new 92,400-tonne liner Queen Elizabeth which will be officially named by the Queen on October 11.

The handover ceremony took place on board the vessel at the Fincantieri Monfalcone shipyard in Italy where the liner was built.

The Queen Elizabeth will join the other "Queens" in the Cunard fleet - the Queen Mary 2 (QM2) and the Queen Victoria.

Interesting they are now quoting tonnage as 92,400.....looks like she's put on 400 tonnes!

And, despite what the doubters said....she's UK Registered.

QUEEN ELIZABETH JOINS THE UK FLAG

The UK Ship Register is pleased to welcome Queen Elizabeth to the UK Flag today.

The new Cunard ship will be the second largest Cunarder ever built and will join Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2 on the UK Flag. This will bring Cunards total gross tonnage on the UK Flag to 329,478GT.

Roger Towner, Registrar General of the UK Ship Register says:

I am delighted to welcome such a high profile ship to the UK Flag. Cunards Queen Elizabeth is the latest in a long line of their ships to register with the UK and thus maintains the long-term connection between Cunard and the Red Ensign.

The ship was built by built by Fincantieri at their Monfalcone yard in Italy. The Port of Registry will be Southampton.

Indeed! Swag bag added to packing list.

Sir Martin:cool:

There's more! including "a bust of The Queen by sculptor Oscar Nemon and the Royal Standard, which will be placed in the new vessel's Queen's Room...."

The silver model is 275 oz....which at £13.90 per ounce makes its scrap value £3,822.....

There's more! including "a bust of The Queen by sculptor Oscar Nemon and the Royal Standard, which will be placed in the new vessel's Queen's Room...."

The silver model is 275 oz....which at £13.90 per ounce makes its scrap value £3,822.....

This is all good news.... And one in the eye for those who say that she will be just another cookie cookie cutter from Princess....

I am much more impressed with the Verandah than I was with Todd English on QV. If the Art Deco theme has been done well across the ship, as early pictures indicate it has, then we are in for a real treat, this is very good news indeed. Thank you for posting such great pictures.

I liked QV, I've a strong feeling I may like the Queen Elizabeth even more.

What a great trio of ships, I'm certain I'm going to be spending a lot more time and money with Cunard over the coming years than I already have! Ah well.

I can't wait to hear members impressions of her. And British registered as well. Great news. What a change in Cunard's fortunes from 15 years ago...

Archived