Bayport still hopes its ship comes in

AdrenalineRush

Aside from the feasibility of using the terminal, I find it amazing that they built it without a contractual agreement from any cruise line to sail from there. That's just stupid.

There were two factors at play here... one, the Port Authority was working on the 'if you build it they will come' concept and two (this one is the kicker...) they added the cruise terminal to the bond package to the get container terminal that's next door built.

Carnival has expressed interest in Bayport but, as stated in the article and I've said many times myself, there ain't nuttin' there... no hotels... no restaurants... no bars. Nothing to provide the shore side experience that cruisers expect.

:)

There were two factors at play here... one, the Port Authority was working on the 'if you build it they will come' concept and two (this one is the kicker...) they added the cruise terminal to the bond package to the get container terminal that's next door built.

Carnival has expressed interest in Bayport but, as stated in the article and I've said many times myself, there ain't nuttin' there... no hotels... no restaurants... no bars. Nothing to provide the shore side experience that cruisers expect.

Sounds like a good opportunity for Carnival to dip their fingers in on that end. A large hotel with a buffet and/or burger joint would probably fit the bill and, given that they're the "only game in town", probably be a money maker. ;)

"Stupid" may have been harsh, but it obviously seems ill-advised to say the least. Had the "boom" continued, they may have had more luck (if the rate of new ships in the middle of the decade had continued, they'd need the slots sooner or later), but I suspect the rate of shipbuilding has slowed down for good now.

"Stupid" may have been harsh, but it obviously seems ill-advised to say the least. Had the "boom" continued, they may have had more luck (if the rate of new ships in the middle of the decade had continued, they'd need the slots sooner or later), but I suspect the rate of shipbuilding has slowed down for good now.

Perhaps not for good but in the near term for sure. The economic climate just isn't' there to support building more than what we see in the planning stages.

Given a few years and a turn in the economy things might be different but for now Bayport is gonna stay empty...

It's not a bad facility, at all. I sailed from there after Ike. Nice building... a little undersized but nice.

Sounds like a good opportunity for Carnival to dip their fingers in on that end. A large hotel with a buffet and/or burger joint would probably fit the bill and, given that they're the "only game in town", probably be a money maker. ;)

Interesting concept. As long as it is priced right you are correct.

Archived