Chankanaab lately?

kaeffe

We did Chankanaab about 6 years ago and loved it! We had a great snorkel guide (Mario?) who took groups out to snorkel (for tips). The beach was nice, saw some iguanas walking around. Decent food. We had heard it was destroyed after one of the hurricanes. Their site is up, seems to still be there. Anyone done it lately????

We were there on Friday and we loved it.

We swam with the dolphins, saw the sea lion show, ate lunch at the sit down restaurant on the beach and then snorkeled. I thought the food at the restaurant was good, and the snorkeling was like swimming in a fish tank, there were so many fish.

I recommend it.

We swam with the dolphins, saw the sea lion show, ate lunch at the sit down restaurant on the beach and then snorkeled. I thought the food at the restaurant was good, and the snorkeling was like swimming in a fish tank, there were so many fish.

I recommend it.

We'll be there in Nov.! What does the restaurant have? My daughter is gluten-free and I'm a little nervous about the restaurant offerings. We would like to spend the whole day there.

We'll be there in Nov.! What does the restaurant have? My daughter is gluten-free and I'm a little nervous about the restaurant offerings. We would like to spend the whole day there.

We went Chankanaab a few years ago on RCCL and we were gluten free. We had a few drinks but I don't think the restaurant was open then. I'm curious about the restaurant options as well. We're going in Sept. and I'll try to see what I can find out. When we went to the ports I made an excursion bags with factory sealed gf snacks, nutritional bars etc. no fresh food or fruit off the ship. The excursion bags really helped in the past, in case we couldn't find any gf options. I've already started assembling our snack bags for this cruise as well. I also throw in our gf language cards in case something unforeseen occurs and we need to communicate more efficiently. We were hoping at least maybe we could find fresh fruit or something to nibble on.

Have you sailed on NCL while your daughter has been gf. I've been on NCL once prior to diagnosis. My dd and I, (both gf) have had good luck several times on RCCL. We're hoping to have a great...safe trip this time as well!:)

Sorry to butt in on the post, it's also been a few years since I've been to Chankanaab (also prior to the hurricanes). We swam with the dolphins last time but then had other plans for the remainder of the day so we didn't stay afterwards. We're considering a revisit on our next cruise... what else is there to do at Chankanaab other than swimming and snorkeling? I ask because I have a few in my group who don't care to swim much.

Is there a charge for the sea lion show?

Can someone tell me how much I can expect to pay at Chankanaab per person for each of the snorkeling and the dolphin swim? Can we go there on our own and do these at our own pace? Someone told me I could rent a golf cart when we get off the ship and get there ourselves - or must we book an excursion (either private or through the ship??). Thanks for your help!

We went Chankanaab a few years ago on RCCL and we were gluten free. We had a few drinks but I don't think the restaurant was open then. I'm curious about the restaurant options as well. We're going in Sept. and I'll try to see what I can find out. When we went to the ports I made an excursion bags with factory sealed gf snacks, nutritional bars etc. no fresh food or fruit off the ship. The excursion bags really helped in the past, in case we couldn't find any gf options. I've already started assembling our snack bags for this cruise as well. I also throw in our gf language cards in case something unforeseen occurs and we need to communicate more efficiently. We were hoping at least maybe we could find fresh fruit or something to nibble on.

Have you sailed on NCL while your daughter has been gf. I've been on NCL once prior to diagnosis. My dd and I, (both gf) have had good luck several times on RCCL. We're hoping to have a great...safe trip this time as well!:)

Thank you so much! Please try to find out if the restaurant has any gluten-free options. She does not eat seafood but loves basic grilled chicken and steak.

This will be our first cruise with the gluten-free restrictions. It will also be DD's first time out of the country and it's for her birthday. We decided on Carnival since my DH and I cruised with them years ago and were pleased, had heard good things about them dealing with special diets, the price was right for the dates of her birthday and it goes to Progresso so she can go to the ruins. We've also heard good things about RCCL and will not discount them out for a future cruise if the dates/itinerary & price are right.

We have however heard some bad things about NCL. I doubt we will try them since we have Carnival & RCCL as better options.

We're also going to take pre-packaged snacks and even some little packets of peanut butter (for quick energy, she's also diabetic). Hope we can find her an apple or banana on shore. The languarge cards are a great idea. What's spanish for "gluten"?

We will actually be in Cozumel on her birthday so the dolphin/sea lion/manatee swims are her presents.

Thank you so much! Please try to find out if the restaurant has any gluten-free options. She does not eat seafood but loves basic grilled chicken and steak.

This will be our first cruise with the gluten-free restrictions. It will also be DD's first time out of the country and it's for her birthday. We decided on Carnival since my DH and I cruised with them years ago and were pleased, had heard good things about them dealing with special diets, the price was right for the dates of her birthday and it goes to Progresso so she can go to the ruins. We've also heard good things about RCCL and will not discount them out for a future cruise if the dates/itinerary & price are right.

We have however heard some bad things about NCL. I doubt we will try them since we have Carnival & RCCL as better options.

We're also going to take pre-packaged snacks and even some little packets of peanut butter (for quick energy, she's also diabetic). Hope we can find her an apple or banana on shore. The languarge cards are a great idea. What's spanish for "gluten"?

We will actually be in Cozumel on her birthday so the dolphin/sea lion/manatee swims are her presents.

Wow, that's so exciting!! The snorkeling was incredible when we were at Chankannab. I'm sure you're DD will have a wonderful time...what a special trip! We love the peanut butter packets and have some packet too! We had thought about booking Carnival as well. We've done so much research over the last 5 years and its seems like there are mixed reviews for many of the lines. We did a back to back on RCCL and our gf experience was very different the second week. Sometimes I think it depends on your maître d and how knowledgeable your server is about gluten. Overall, we had a good experience and they we're very accommodating! So far, we've filled out our dietary requests forms for NCL and we had a form to fill out to pre-order foods for our trip. Recently, we've read some good reviews about gf on NCL so we're praying and keeping our fingers crossed! :D

Trigo, avena, cebada, y centeno (Wheat, rye, barley and oats)

Please let us know how your cruise goes, it's always great to have new cruising options!!

Can someone tell me how much I can expect to pay at Chankanaab per person for each of the snorkeling and the dolphin swim? Can we go there on our own and do these at our own pace? Someone told me I could rent a golf cart when we get off the ship and get there ourselves - or must we book an excursion (either private or through the ship??). Thanks for your help!

Bringing this forward in the hopes of some replies - anyone?

Admission to Chank is right under $20 per person, I believe. But if you book any of the animal programs, that's included in the fee you pay for those. The prices on the swims vary, google Dolphin Discovery (I tried to post the link but all I got was "********"). I've never heard of renting a golf cart in Cozumel, is it possible you were thinking Costa Maya? You can either book it on your own and take one of the million taxis near the pier (which I'd recommend) or book it through the ship (and pay more and be on their time schedule, vs. booking on your own and coming and going as you like, to take advantage of the other things Chank has to offer).

Admission to Chank is right under $20 per person, I believe. But if you book any of the animal programs, that's included in the fee you pay for those. The prices on the swims vary, google Dolphin Discovery (I tried to post the link but all I got was "********"). I've never heard of renting a golf cart in Cozumel, is it possible you were thinking Costa Maya? You can either book it on your own and take one of the million taxis near the pier (which I'd recommend) or book it through the ship (and pay more and be on their time schedule, vs. booking on your own and coming and going as you like, to take advantage of the other things Chank has to offer).

Thanks! We're looking for a dolphin swim with the kids, but I'm finding mixed reviews for Chakannab......I'll keep looking!

Golf cart rentals are not the thing here... you must have Coz confused with a different port. Coz is way too big for that. Car rental or taxi's are the way to get around here if you are not taking a ship excursion.

Golf carts.... is one of your ports of call Belize? We rented a golf cart on one of the cayes, Caye Caulker.

I recommend it.

My daughter wants to swim with the dolphins and snorkel also did you just pay for it when you got there or did you make arrangements before?

If you look thru the site you will see a site for Faro Celarain Eco Park. It seems to be a part of the national park of Chankaanab, although not in the same location. If you do research into Faro Celarain Eco Park it looks great, a lighthouse to climb, great snorkeling, fantastic wild life to see. Does anyone know how far it is from the dock or Chankaanab? Has any one done this park?

• 1 month later...
I am also interested in the food choices and prices at Chaakanaab. Does anyone happen to have the menu or drink list?

We ate at the little restaurant in Chankanaab back in April. Sorry, I didn't get a pic of the menu, but the prices were in both pesos and USD and fairly reasonable. We ate "loaded" nachos and salsa, but they also had burgers, tacos, and a few other things available, including icicles and ice cream novelties in a chest freezer.

I'm not sure if it was because we were incredibly famished after our dolphin encounter, but the food was really good, and the service was outstanding. Beer, Coke Light, and bottled water were also available, and I think I remember seeing churros on the menu as well.

Sorry, wish I had better details, but it's safe to say that they don't charge a whole lot for the food and it is pretty good. If you're concerned about not finding anything to suit your tastes, you can always bring snacks in the form of boxed cereals from the ship - they're about the only sure things my daughter will eat when we're in port, so we never leave the ship without them. :rolleyes:

We ate at the little restaurant in Chankanaab back in April. Sorry, I didn't get a pic of the menu, but the prices were in both pesos and USD and fairly reasonable. We ate "loaded" nachos and salsa, but they also had burgers, tacos, and a few other things available, including icicles and ice cream novelties in a chest freezer.

I'm not sure if it was because we were incredibly famished after our dolphin encounter, but the food was really good, and the service was outstanding. Beer, Coke Light, and bottled water were also available, and I think I remember seeing churros on the menu as well.

Sorry, wish I had better details, but it's safe to say that they don't charge a whole lot for the food and it is pretty good. If you're concerned about not finding anything to suit your tastes, you can always bring snacks in the form of boxed cereals from the ship - they're about the only sure things my daughter will eat when we're in port, so we never leave the ship without them. :rolleyes:

I agree, I have no menu but our food was REALLY good too. We had some tostadas, the kids had grilled cheese and chicken fingers with fries, I think.

Archived