what to do in Tampa

Eva65

We will arrive in Downtown Tampa about 1 pm the day before we leave on the cruise. Any suggestions of what to do in downtown Tampa. We do not want to go to far, maybe on the trolly/ we are staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza.

We will arrive in Downtown Tampa about 1 pm the day before we leave on the cruise. Any suggestions of what to do in downtown Tampa. We do not want to go to far, maybe on the trolly/ we are staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza.

I don't know where HJP is located but as long as it's downtown area here are your choices.

Channelside - an entertainment and restaurant complex right across the street from the pier. It's also located on the historic trolley route, same route that will take you to Ybor City (just remember to go the other way :-) ). The route runs from Channelside to Ybor and back.

Ybor City is more youth orientated in the evenings but it has some nice restaurants and some nightlife geared towards us older folks.

Channelside is more subdued and geared for families and older crowd. It also features a multiplex cinema with iMax screen.

You can also stroll along the river and enjoy some nice views and some not so nice (shipping port, just so you know).

The area is very safe.

If you like to have one of the best steaks in the US, you may want to reserve Bern's Steakhouse. That will be expensive and it will require a taxi, but it is just so good. If you decide to go, make sure you also reserve the upstairs booth for deserts (if you can still eat at the point). Make that decision once you get to the restaurants. If you are a wine lover then Bern's is heaven. 100's of great international wines sold by glass. It's an experience, but again, it is expensive.

You also have the Tampa Aquarium right next to the pier, so there is another possibility.

Walk a little around downtown Tampa, but it's just not that exciting unless you know some small, popular, non-tourist places.

Have fun!

Not sure when you are going to be here, but you could check out the Tampa Theatre.

http://www.tampatheatre.org

It's probably not a typical touristy thing....it's a historic theatre built in 1926. They do tours and tell you the history of the theatre. They have shows, films, performances, etc. Most every performance includes someone playing the Wurlitzer Organ at intermission or before the show.

The trolley will take you to Ybor. A great place to visit is the Ybor City Museum....

http://www.ybormuseum.org/

After visiting here, you can truly appreciate the culture and heritage on which this area was founded which gives a whole new appreciation to the area, IMHO.

To get to Channelside or Ybor City (or the trolley that runs from one to the other) you'll likely need a cab unless the hotel has a free shuttle service. The hotel is on the opposite side of the downtown area from Channelside - over next to the Performing Arts Center.

You might check the schedule there for the time when you're in town; they have some very good shows (Broadway shows, musical performances, etc)

www.tbpac.com

To get to Channelside or Ybor City (or the trolley that runs from one to the other) you'll likely need a cab unless the hotel has a free shuttle service. The hotel is on the opposite side of the downtown area from Channelside - over next to the Performing Arts Center.

You might check the schedule there for the time when you're in town; they have some very good shows (Broadway shows, musical performances, etc)

www.tbpac.com

The green line of the in-town trolley actually runs all the way over there. You just have to transfer to the streetcar at the connections center.

http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/about/maps/index.htm

Ybor City is more youth orientated in the evenings but it has some nice restaurants and some nightlife geared towards us older folks.

My husband and I were in Ybor City for only a couple of hours in Feb/10. I am returning in Oct. and would love to go back in the evening.

I am in my 40's and I would like to take my mom to Ybor City for dinner and the evening.[Not the steakhouse that was mentioned.] A great fun place that would be appropriate for our ages would be great!

Could you suggest a restaurant/club [or both]

My husband and I were in Ybor City for only a couple of hours in Feb/10. I am returning in Oct. and would love to go back in the evening.

I am in my 40's and I would like to take my mom to Ybor City for dinner and the evening.[Not the steakhouse that was mentioned.] A great fun place that would be appropriate for our ages would be great!

Could you suggest a restaurant/club [or both]

It depends on what type of entertainment you enjoy....

ybor.org will give you a list (from the Chanber of Commerce) of local bars and restaurants. I enjoy Carmine's for some good Cuban food, Acropolis Greek Taverna for delicious Greek food, Green Iguana is an American Fare bar and restaurant. Hamburger Mary's serves giant, delicious burgers with a funky flair and interesting nighttime entertainment. The Spaghetti Warehouse is an Italian food spot.

There are dozens of bars and nightclubs in Ybor City. Many are listed here with a bit of a categorization at teh bottom left of each listing http://www.813area.com/tampa/ybor-city/nightlife/

Most of the places in Ybor City will be located along seventh and eighth avenues or on 21st through 29th streets. FYI - streets are in numerical order and run north and south, avenues (also innumerical order)run east and west.

In nearby Channelside (via the streetcar) is Howl at the Moon which a dueling piano bar. It is lots of fun.

If you're going to be in Ybor city; dinner at the Columbia restaurant should not be missed. The Columbia is the oldest reataurant in Florida and has been in operation in Ybor for over a hundred years. It's a little bit pricey, but the history and the archeitecture are amazing. The food is pretty good too. :) Make a reservation to see the live flamenco dancers at dinner and don't forget to order a pitcher of sangria it's deliccious. :cool:

Archived