liquor purchases

cruisinonmymind

Well, after a long hiatus, I am back to the boards. I was wondering for all you that purchase liquor on cruises, where is the cheapest place to buy brand name liquors? On our last cruise to G.C. and Cozumel, we purchased 10 liters of rum and 2 of tequila. G.C. had the best prices of about $10 US a liter. The Tortuga rums were really good but are too expensive to buy online. I would like to purchase more rums on my next cruise. Are there any suggestions to another cheap place? I know that most ports have discounted liquor, but that was the cheapest place I have found so far for rums.

Well, after a long hiatus, I am back to the boards. I was wondering for all you that purchase liquor on cruises, where is the cheapest place to buy brand name liquors? On our last cruise to G.C. and Cozumel, we purchased 10 liters of rum and 2 of tequila. G.C. had the best prices of about $10 US a liter. The Tortuga rums were really good but are too expensive to buy online. I would like to purchase more rums on my next cruise. Are there any suggestions to another cheap place? I know that most ports have discounted liquor, but that was the cheapest place I have found so far for rums.

SXM and St Thomas are the cheapest ports to buy liquor.

You might want to check out this thread also

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=120335

So when you buy more liquor then allotted (and declare it), is the duty based on amount spent or amount bringing back?

You will be obliged to pay about 2% of the actual purchase price on any liquor above the limit (2 liters per person from the Caribbean) -- so, spend $1,000 and owe $20 duty. In actual practice, chances are good you'll be waved through customs so fast they won't even look at your paperwork. They CAN bill you later at your home address. Never known of that happening though.

I tried to turn myself into customs for being over the allowed amount. Went to the assigned area on the ship. The basically laughted, said get a life and get lost. So I would say buy all you want and be happy!!!

I tried to turn myself into customs for being over the allowed amount. Went to the assigned area on the ship. The basically laughted, said get a life and get lost. So I would say buy all you want and be happy!!!

I did the same thing and got the same response!! I guess its that girl scout training....honesty is the best policy!

June

I have a question --

When you buy liquor on the ship, can you take it back to your cabin? Or do they give it to you at the end of the trip?? I remember on rcl, if you wanted to take it back to the cabin, you would pay more than you would if you took it off at the end.

Archived