Advice on car rental

kittenaround

Hello all. Landing at FFL the day before leaving from POM in January 2011. Thinking of renting a car from FFL for the day and returning it next day somewhere close to POM as SAS does not appear to be an option for transportation from Hollywood hotel to POM. Any advice? The rates I've seen for this seem a little outrageous.

Also, after cruise, wanting to rent a vehicle from near POM to go to Key West for a few days, returning this vehicle to FLL the day of our return flight to Canada. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated as I've never been to Florida so am very unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks so much.

I rented a car online through Hertz. I found that they were the only rental company that would would shuttle us from their office in MIA to the port. All the other ones said we would have to take a cab. If you go online on the hertz site, make sure you put in that you are Canadian because the rate is lower. I don't know why. They also accepted my CAA membership and gave me another 10% off.

I'm picking up my car on Saturday from FLL and returning it on Sunday to their "Miami downtown HLE" location at 354 Southeast 1st Street on Sunday.

On my return, I'm doing the same only we are driving straight to the airport (FLL) from the Hertz location, and leaving the car there.

I rented a car online through Hertz. I found that they were the only rental company that would would shuttle us from their office in MIA to the port. All the other ones said we would have to take a cab. If you go online on the hertz site, make sure you put in that you are Canadian because the rate is lower. I don't know why. They also accepted my CAA membership and gave me another 10% off.

I'm picking up my car on Saturday from FLL and returning it on Sunday to their "Miami downtown HLE" location at 354 Southeast 1st Street on Sunday.

On my return, I'm doing the same only we are driving straight to the airport (FLL) from the Hertz location, and leaving the car there.

Thank you so much for the advice Canadianfam. I think with a car rental, we'll have so much more flexibility as to where we stay in Fort Lauderdale. I will certainly look them up.

Both Hertz and Avis have downtown Miami locations near POM - if they do not shuttle you a cab to the port would only run $10.

Lots of car rental options at the new car rental center near MIA; reports on shuttles from there to POM have been confusing -- if you need to cab to POM from there it will run you about $25+tip. The same options apply after your cruise.

In Key West I like the Green Parrot Bar and the BBQ place next door, and you must try El Siboney for great Cuban food (www.elsiboneyrestaurant.com) :D

Good luck!:)

You will probably find better rates if you return the car to Miami airport. Cab ride is another $25. However, Alamo offers a shuttle to the POM from the car return center.

If you want to return the car to a downtown location near the port, Avis is located at 99 Southeast Second Street and is about a $10 cab ride to the POM. I have used this code C066983 to get a discounted rate at Avis, and does not penalize you for not returning to same location.

Archived